Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a good build?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

All looks good bar the graphics card tbh

I'd invest a little more on one for gaming and video purposes

Also, ,maybe a cheap soundcard such as a Live24bit would benefit you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Isn't the PSU a bit overkill for that setup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

quad_red wrote:
    Isn't the PSU a bit overkill for that setup?

I wouldn't have thought so...he'll certainly need it for future upgrading anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Fanboy

you'll need something to put it all in aswel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Looks very good except for the graphics card (if you're a gamer) and the Operating System ( :p I'm not installing it until SP1 is released).

Would love to get my hands on a Core 2 Duo with proper RAM and a proper Graphics Card. But bank account can't take the hit right now... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Graphics card is the main thing unless you are not in to games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

Why isn't that gfx card good?

256mb is very good isn't it? What else dictates whether a gfx card is good?

Memory has little to do with it im afraid.
    Look at it this way.. there is a reason its €70 :D
    On the other hand i went the other direction and got an 8800GTS (640mb) which costs about €450 or so, i cant remember :D
    This: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=332348 Is a much better card.
    Or: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325489

Its a good budget card though

Timans wrote:
    Why isn't that gfx card good?

256mb is very good isn't it? What else dictates whether a gfx card is good?

The amount of ram generally speaking has nothing to do with it. It's about the speeds of the cards core and memory. The X1300 is a low end card but it will suffice if you don't mind playing games on lowish settings. Regarding memory, really do not let that fool you, it's an important lesson to be learned. there are marketing gimmicks out there, such as the Nvidia 7100GS 512MB, plastered with 'Extreme gaming' labels and 'Blazing' this and 'Blazing' that.

The 7100GS, despite its 'amazing' 512mb, can barely scrape by on low settings on any modern games and will not run others. Maplins charge 100 euro for this travesty and actually market it as a gaming card!

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

For serveral reasons - the memory is just one element of what makes a graphics card good or less good. there are far more learned people here to tell you what's what, but with my limited experience, there's far better cards out there.

• Advertisement

Oh how much did all that come to may i ask?

So, If I'm buying a graphics card, What do I look for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Henne220

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions/help...
    Saruman the cost for the build was €954 including the case, APLUS Case Qubic, Black Midi tower http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309319&CKS=PCW
    So the only thing to change would be the gfx card?? Would it be a speedy machiene (no lagging)???

@Timans, see my post above....I outlined it there. :)

Yes, but where does it show the cards core speeds? on komplett.ie for example, what spec do I look at and know whether it's high or not?

Advertisement