Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb Metro Lite 1mb

Options
  • 20-02-2007 3:49pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone any views on this product? Quality and value?

Based on the phone rental saving alone it looks attractive. Could you use it to make skype calls for example?

I'm not an expert in this area btw ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Yes it will work with Skype.
    Quality may depend on where you are and how good your line of sight is. Clear view of mast up to 10km is normally OK.

The modem has two phone sockets that are separate but same number (you can upgrade your account later to have two separate "lines"/numbers or higher speed).

You need to add your own router NAT/Firewall, with or without WiFi. From 45 Euro to 120 Euro in Argos or Komplett. NOT any model with ASDL in name, but ethernet WAN or incorrectly called by Argos a "Cable Router". An "Ethernet" WAN router will work with any service that has an Ethernet port on its modem.

Or you can leave off getting a router and only connect one PC and use its built in XP firewall. Disable File & Printer sharing is 99.9% as good as a firewall.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I have a spare Eircom wireless router - brand new and unused. Any good?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

It (netopia) will work once you disable dhcp on it

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sponge Bob wrote:

Any idea how?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭zoro

I wouldn't recommend Metro for anyone in Dublin that connects to the 3 Rock mast. Pings are sky high nearly all the time, and fluctuate wildly.

If you want to use it for browsing/instant messaging/skype then it's acceptable, but if you have any intention of using it for gaming then Irish Broadband would probably be better :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Sponge Bob wrote:

Not for ethernet as a Router or Firewall it won't, only for ADSL. Disabling the ADSL part makes it work only as Airpoint/switch. You still need a router as the modem only hands out one IP.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Tav

watty wrote:
    Quality may depend on where you are and how good your line of sight is. Clear view of mast up to 10km is normally OK.

Hi,
    I'm currently with UTV (3bm) and quite satisfied (beside few down times;)) but i would like to save some quid so i'm thinking about switching to DIGIWEB METRO.

You say that quality depends on the distance from the mast - do you know how can i check where they are? I'm in Chapelizod, Dublin.

Tav

Advertisement