Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Actuary course & single room accomodation info

Options
  • 20-02-2007 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

could any one give me info on the actuary course in U.C.D? is it interesting? worthwhile? job prospects?

Could anyone give me info on single room accomodation? Is there a commmon kitchen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Firstly take a look here https://sisweb.ucd.ie/usis/w_sm_web_inf_browser.show_major?p_term_code=200600&p_major_code=S0243&p_show_prog_link=Y&p_crumb=%23p1%23%3F%22%3E%20UCD%20Degrees%20by%20CAO%20Code%3C%2FA%3E

These are the courses you will probably be studying.
    Of course it's quite difficult to know what any of these are really like when you're still in school.

I do a similar degree called Economics and Finance. We probably do about 50% of the same courses as the actuaries so I can give you some assistance.
    My degree is a year shorter and slightly more general.

AFAIK, most BAFS students become actuaries. You do a 6 month work placement in 3rd year which def helps get your foot in the door of a firm. There's great career prospects being an actuary. It's got a reputation for being very well paid (which it is). If you're good you'll find a nice job no problem. If you're unsure whether you want to be an actuary or not, I'd say pick a different course.
    A lot of people in my degree go on to accounting and financial jobs, as well as some actuaries. Personally I'm going to be a trainee consulting actuary.

The course is mainly made up of maths and statistics. These aren't easy subjects. You'd want to be aiming for an a1 in LC maths. Other subjects you do, while not mathematics, are very numerate. If you enjoy maths and numbers, you probably will find it worthwhile. If you are quick and understand things easily, most subjects shouldn't pose too much of a challenge to you.

Remember that doing this course doesn't make you an actuary. There are 15 actuarial exams and this course will give you a maximum of 8 exemptions, provided you do well in your exams. It basically gives you a good headstart.
    Other courses like maths and economics and finance may give you a few exemptions also. The actuarial exams will be tough and it might take quite a while to pass them. A lot of people give up.

I'd say if you're interested in this course, look at Maths Science, Statistics and Economics and Finance also, especially if your end goal isn't to be an actuary.

Hope that helps somewhat!

Advertisement