Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bunny advice needed

Options
  • 20-02-2007 4:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Im sorry but couldnt find my previous thread so I start a new one.

My rabbit recently has started licking my duvet . He just jumps on my bed and starts doing it! Sometimes he licks also carpet. Does he lack something or is it normal?
    He is 5 months old now and he`s a boy. And I got him in December. Its my first rabbit thats why I dont know much of rabbits at all.

And by the way - I read that at 5 months age he has to be neutered but somehow there are no signs that he wants humping at all...

And if I started a topic, Ill ask one more question - He is very independent boy, he doesnt like to be picked up, he doesnt like to make friends with me, he just likes to lick his fur and wash his toes and sniff everything around but hes not attracted to me... :( I try in all ways - Try to play- in this case either he ignores me absolutely or gets mad. I admire those who write that they sleep and play together with their bun! That they get kisses from them, etc. You are really lucky! :)

But at least I can be proud of my bun in one way - He is officially litter trained - he even poos there! And never outside! Only in his tray!

He destroys my carpet as well :( And he loves to eat and SWALLOW paper. Whenever he finds a piece of paper - its gone! So I supervise him at all times now.

Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

We had a female house rabbit for over 8 years (a grand old age for a rabbit - she passed away last year). I would like to commend you for keeping your rabbit as a house pet, rather than confined in a cage. You should be proud indeed that he is house-trained. You will find that you need to "rabbit-proof" your home in various ways, including no books on the bottom shelf, no wires or cables trailing on or near the floor (that one's important!) and no house-plants in reach.

I don't think the licking is anything to worry about. It might be a kind of grooming behaviour. Our rabbit would try to lick our hands if she was being stroked, and if she couldn't reach the hand she would lick clothing or whatever she could reach.

I can't comment on the neutering issue, as I am not expert on the medical issues involved. Our female was neutered on vet's advice.

Rabbits have lots of personality, far more than you would expect if you've only seen them in cages. Ours had a very aggressive temperament, which only very gradually mellowed over the years. She was 5 years old before she began to trust me, and only then because my wife was away for 4 weeks! On one occasion, she punched me so hard on the chin that it bled. That was a hard one to explain at work the next day!

Your rabbit has his own personality; for better or worse he doesn't want to play, he doesn't want to be held or to kiss you. It's quite possible he never will, and you can't force him to, so you'll have to relate to him on his terms. The good news is, this relationship can still be a very close and rewarding one. And eventually, as trust builds, he may come over to you for a treat, or to be rubbed between the ears, or even hop into your lap while you're watching TV. He will decide when, if ever, that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'm not sure about the licking, mabey someone else can suggest something or he may just be licky kinda rabbit. He should get neutered soon 6 months at the latest. He may be a girl it can be hard to sex them sometimes.
    They do tend to eat paper best thing to do is buy lots of different bunny toys and also stuff hay into brown bags for him to play with.
    He needs an unlimited supply or fresh hay and water, also some washed fruit and veggies including carrot, cauliflower, apple, pear, cabbage or brocolli daily.
    A good quality rabbit mix like burgess is good.
    Never feed him iceberg lettuce, in fact no need to feed lettuce at all.
    You might know all this already so I'm just making suggestions in case he's lacking something in his diet.
    Avoid salt and mineral licks as well esp. the salt ones they can become addicted to them and if they have a proper diet there is no need for them.

Try zooplus.ie for some really fun rabbit cabins and petshoponline have a stuff as well. More to keep him busy and to distract him from things he shouldn't have.

Oh and don't worry many rabbits don't like being picked up it really depends on the bunny but let him come to you in his own time, tasty veg is a good way to win their hearts.

Hope this helps a bit. Lovely to hear of a spoilt house bunny.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Sandrease

Thanks for advice! Today we had a great time together and thats a progress already. So, When I usually get up, I let him out, this morning he went to one exact corner of the room and chewed and destroyed the carpet, as I noticed it I started to say in a loud voice that he cant do it! And I saw he ate a piece of carpet also. I know that carpet-eating is a big no-no. Thats why of course I dont allow him to do it. I tried all the possible ways to distract his evil intentions but no use. I put him back in the cage but I was so sad of doing it and I had to do loads of housework also... So I brought him downstairs to the kitchen with his litter tray and his favourite duvet. From start he was stressed out but because he had never been there before. But after some while he started to enjoy! He didnt leave his duvet and tray but I saw he explored everything anyway. And kitchen is the only place in my house without carpet so he can be a good boy. (Boy or girl - I dont really know anymore, you wrote such things before - so Im not sure anymore... ) We got out in the garden, we just sniffed the air, he was in my arms, a little bit scared but very curious. :) And as I sat near to him in the kitchen - he was in my lap in no time!!!! :) He was sniffing, licking and sitting on me all the time! :) I think this is an improvement.
    And by the way - this week or the next one hes going to vet. And as far as I know, I read a lot, etc. He has a good diet. He has hay, food, vegetables, fruits, fresh water daily. Im not sure if the food is the best - I have Jaspers Rabbit Mix - thats the only one which I can buy in petworld. I dont have any petstores around anymore. The best he loves pea flakes but never eats one kind of pellets which is black and long - have to throw out... The rest he eats when pea flakes are gone.

Oh, very long post. Sorry. Hope somebody will get to the end and finish it reading.

Advertisement