Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Radar detectors ???

Options
  • 20-02-2007 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi i was offered a new dash mounted speed radar detecor today but nobody seems to know if they are legal or not and if there is any fine for having one in the car.
    The reason i ask this is that I'm not at all a speed nut but i was done for 5 kms over the limit on the N7 two weeks ago and thought it was a bit accessive and if this gadget could save me from the same faith I think I would invest.
    Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

As per the other thread, these are 100% illegal in this country!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

EvoJack wrote:
    was done for 5 kms over the limit on the N7 two weeks ago
    Thanks
    Jesus that would frustrate the f**k out of me. Cop should have been slapped

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Fizman wrote:
    Jesus that would frustrate the f**k out of me. Cop should have been slapped
    Guard's only doing his job. If you can't deal with being pulled for speeding then don't speed.;)

OP - Most speed traps use laser these days, so you'll need a laser jammer. They are illegal, but they do work. I had an M10-Blinder a couple of years ago, couldn't fault it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Anan1 wrote:
    Guard's only doing his job. If you can't deal with being pulled for speeding then don't speed.;)

I understand the whole business of pullin people for speeding but you can't honestly say that, if you were doin 105 when the limit is 100, you wouldn't be even slightly pissed off if u were pulled.

As the OP said, that was a little excessive IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 JohnW

EvoJack wrote:
    I'm not at all a speed nut but i was done for 5 kms over the limit on the N7
    You should have asked for a copy of the calibration certificate for the device he used. I have heard that some of the devices they use havent even got current certificates:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Fizman wrote:
    I understand the whole business of pullin people for speeding but you can't honestly say that, if you were doin 105 when the limit is 100, you wouldn't be even slightly pissed off if u were pulled.

As the OP said, that was a little excessive IMO
    Nobody likes being pulled. That said, we choose to break what we know to be the speed limit. I do it every day myself, in the full knowledge that I may be caught. And when I do get pulled, I know that i've nobody to blame but myself.

JohnW wrote:
    You should have asked for a copy of the calibration certificate for the device he used. I have heard that some of the devices they use havent even got current certificates:rolleyes:
    I have been pulled for speeding more times than I can remember, and have always been let off with a warning. This is because, when pulled, I am pleasant and sincerely apologetic. I would therefore consider the above to be terrible advice, unless your intention is to collect points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 JohnW

Anan1 wrote:
    I would therefore consider the above to be terrible advice, unless your intention is to collect points.
    I must agree, I would not recommend this approach as an opening sentence, but if you have been pulled for 5km above limit and they throw the book at you, I would certainly use it as a last resort:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Anan1 wrote:

OP - Most speed traps use laser these days, so you'll need a laser jammer. They are illegal, but they do work. I had an M10-Blinder a couple of years ago, couldn't fault it.

Would I be right in saying it's very common for speedometers to be out by 5% or even more and there is nothing you can do about that.
    So pulling someone for being 5kph over does not seem very fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

I always thought there was a 10% margin of error allowed....???

as for the detectors...I had one a few years ago and got caught with it in the car by mr. plod. He confiscated it and I got a summons to court and got fined €300, plus solicitors costs.

Stick within the speed limit and save yourself the expense of one of these

tuxy wrote:
    Would I be right in saying it's very common for speedometers to be out by 5% or even more and there is nothing you can do about that.
    Speedometers are almost always out, but they always overread.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Beady

You could try getting one of these It's a parking sensor which has the unfortunate:D side effect of jamming Garda laser detectors;) . Perfectly legal before anyone asks. And yes I do think it's reasonable to use them if the gardai are doing people for 5kph over the limit on the N7. If you don't know why then drive on the N7. Road safety my arse:( .

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

tuxy wrote:

Actually it does. Speedos are always cailbrated high ie indicated speed is higher than actual speed.

So if your speedo is out 5%, and you're done for 105, that means your speedo reading would be 111. The guards take the view that if you're driving along with your speedo showing 111 (11% above the speed limit!!) then you've made a conscious decision to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

EvoJack wrote:
    Hi i was offered a new dash mounted speed radar detecor today but nobody seems to know if they are legal or not and if there is any fine for having one in the car.
    The reason i ask this is that I'm not at all a speed nut but i was done for 5 kms over the limit on the N7 two weeks ago and thought it was a bit accessive and if this gadget could save me from the same faith I think I would invest.
    Please let me know what you think.
    Thanks
    Jaysus getting caught for just 5km over the limit is excessive, I dont care what anyone says. I'm interested to find out where on the N7 and what time? I travel that road everyday. In fact last week I was coming to work just on the Dublin side of Naas around 6am at around 110km/hr, when I was passed by another car prob doing 120/125km/hr. The next minute an unmarked modeo flew up behind the guy that passed me (who was on the outside lane). When he moved back into the middle lane to let the squad car by, the squad just put on his double flashers to thank him for changing lanes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

JohnW wrote:
    from the ROAD TRAFFIC ACT, 2002 SECTION 21
    21.—(1) The onus of establishing prima facie proof of a constituent of an offence committed after the commencement of this section (including the speed at which a person, whether the accused or another person, was driving) under section 47, 52, 53, 55, 91, 92, 93 or 94 of the Principal Act or section 35 of the Act of 1994 may be discharged by tendering evidence from which that constituent can be inferred of measurements or other indications which were given by electronic or other apparatus (including a camera) and are contained in a record produced by that apparatus, and it shall not be necessary to prove that the electronic or other apparatus was accurate or in good working order.
    (2) In proceedings for an offence referred to in subsection (1)
                  (
                a) a document—
                                (i) purporting to be, or to be a copy of, a record referred in that subsection and to be signed by a member of the Garda Síochána, and
                                              (ii) on which is endorsed a statement to the effect that it is, or is a copy of, the record aforesaid,
                                                          shall be
                                                        prima facie evidence in those proceedings of the indications or measurements contained in the record, and it shall not be necessary to prove the signature on the document or that the signatory was a member of the Garda Síochána, and
                                                                      (
                                                                    b) a copy of the document aforesaid shall be furnished to the accused person before the commencement of the trial of the offence. (3) The electronic or other apparatus referred to in subsection (1) shall—
                                                                                  (
                                                                                a) be capable of producing a photograph or other record of the measurements or other indications referred to in that subsection, and
                                                                                              (
                                                                                            b) be of a type that has been approved by—
                                                                                                            (i) the Commissioner or another member of the Garda Síochána not below the rank of Chief Superintendent authorised in that behalf by the Commissioner, or
                                                                                                                          (ii) the chief executive officer of the National Roads Authority or another officer of that Authority duly authorised in that behalf by the first-mentioned officer,
                                                                                                                                      and it shall not be necessary to prove that the apparatus is of a type so approved.
                                                                                                                                    (4) In proceedings for an offence referred to in subsection (1), if proof of the offence involves proof of the speed at which a person (whether the accused or another person) was driving, the uncorroborated evidence of one witness stating his opinion as to that speed shall not be accepted as proof of that speed.

In otherwords, all that is needed is for the garda to say "You're nicked mate"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

TheBazman wrote:
                                                                                                                                    Jaysus getting caught for just 5km over the limit is excessive, I dont care what anyone says.

Just remember that it's a Limit not a Target!:eek:

If you break the law then you break the law and have to answer for it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

I dont believe for one moment that somebody got a ticket for doing 5 km/hr over the speed limit.

Ive only ever heard of these fines being given out in the states, where the limit is the limit and not a target.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

EvoJack wrote:
                                                                                                                                    The reason i ask this is that I'm not at all a speed nut but i was done for 5 kms over the limit on the N7 two weeks ago
                                                                                                                                    What speed, where?
                                                                                                                                    Beady wrote:
                                                                                                                                    You could try getting one of these It's a parking sensor which has the unfortunate:D side effect of jamming Garda laser detectors;) . Perfectly legal before anyone asks.
                                                                                                                                    Obstructing a Garda in the course of his duties is a serious offence. Jam the camera and they will know.

Advertisement