Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Crackdown

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

This game is so much fun its unreal. Especially in co-op, setting up jumps, or just blowing stuff up with a friend is just GENIUS. The levelling up is brilliant, rooftop races are a load of fun, picking up cars and throwing them at bad guys, the agency cars getting bigger and better the more you level up, the explosions, its all just quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

Gotta admit the more i play it the more i like it ,its great once you get the rocket launcher .just reached level 4 agilty last nite ! Great crack i think you need a game like this in your collection , one that you can just pick up and play .JUMP IN and all that .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'm loving running around with the grenade launcher at the moment and although I keep on getting told off for blowing up civilians and the regular cops it's just too much fun firing off grenades into the middle of a car pile up at a cross roads. The co-op mode is a great laugh as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If you kill civilians do the cops shoot at you too?

I must suck at this game or just don't play it enough, only on level 2 agility and firearms the others still on level 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Makaveli wrote:
    If you kill civilians do the cops shoot at you too?

Yeah, if you kill enough of them. But it's only the cops in the local area. And they soon forget about it.
    Makaveli wrote:
    I must suck at this game or just don't play it enough, only on level 2 agility and firearms the others still on level 1.

To get agility up just keeping jumping around the buildings. To build strength just kick/punch gang members. I used the shotgun at the start but getting close and kicking them is more effective and more fun. And it'll build your strength up quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

whats online like???

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,699 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Well only played for a few hours but I must admit - despite my numerous complaints with the game - climbing the agency tower with 4 star agility was amazing. Otherwise I would still give this game a 'meh'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭danbhala

i've got about 26 agility orbs left!

ohh the pain! i'd say i'll never find them all! how is everyone else doing with the obrs?

driving on level 4 is great craic with the suv! B makes the car jump!

quad_red wrote:
    To get agility up just keeping jumping around the buildings. To build strength just kick/punch gang members. I used the shotgun at the start but getting close and kicking them is more effective and more fun. And it'll build your strength up quickly.

Thanks for the advice on building up strength. Only thing is I try to kick every gang member to death now. I killed most of the Las Muertos captains by kicking them to death, it's far more effective than shooting them.

3* Strength. 2* Agility and Shooting. 1* Driving (I never drive anywhere just jump to where I want to go). No stars for explosives.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,809 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I find the aiming and combat is terrible. Why do all these sandbox games use a barely functional lock-on aiming system.

I'm having far more fun in this game jumping around like a loon and doing crazy stunts in the agency cars. If you are just playing to finish the story as quickly as possible then you are missing out on most of the fun. Having a great laugh with the limpet mines. Throwing them on to cars and in the middle of a group of enemies. I've also managed to climb the tower.

Combat is frustrating but I like the fact that there are multiple ways of taking out the bosses and avoiding most of the combat if going in the front entrance is too tough.

One huge complaint is the lack of offline co-op. I feel I'm missing out on a huge part of the game.

Other than that I'm rather enjoying it. A real 'make your own fun' game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

Retr0gamer wrote:
    I find the aiming and combat is terrible. Why do all these sandbox games use a barely functional lock-on aiming system.

I've had one or two irritating moments as well.

I read an interview with the developers and the interviewer asked about a majorly annoying aspect of the lock on system - the fact that it stays locked onto a target even when the target is dead.

Their response? People like 'doing stuff' to dead enemies.

Ok, whatever bakes yer noodle. But you can do 'stuff' to the fallen enemy after you take out his 47 friends. Running around and finding your aim stuck on dead bodies as live ones pump you full of lead is, to put it mildly, annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,258 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i think this game is great fun. been having a blast with it. I also don't think the driving is as bad as people make out.

I think i have 3* agility, strength and driving - got nothing for explosives and only 1 for firearms though.

I just climbed to the top of the agency tower and jumped off - 2 achievments unlocked ! Niiice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm so tempted to buy this game, but I'm going to get the demo first. I hated how the combat system in GTA worked on the consoles so I need to find out if the way this game handles it suits me or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

At what agility level do you need to be to scale the agency tower my agility level just turned to 3 and finding it hard to get to the highest point on the tower going to try again tonight.

My driving is level 4 which is great in the agency vehicles as the SUV can actually climb walls when you hold down the B button you can drive up buildings, which is great fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Just wondering are the same people who think this game is great because of the "make your own fun factor", the same ones who shot down Just Cause for the very same reason?!

I remember when Just Cause came out, very few people here liked it or gave it a chance, but the very things that people are describing as making this game good, are what make Just Cause great.

You get to make your own fun, complete missions any way you want, explore a truly massive island that dwarfs anything in Crackdown/GTA, and while you may not be able to jump like a lunatic, you can do stunts beyond anything that crackdown can offer.

as IGN said
    Fancy driving along full pelt in your armoured CIA truck, launching over the edge of a cliff, free-falling toward the craggy rocks below, pulling your parachute open at the last minute, grappling onto a passing helicopter on your way down, crashing the whole thing into the ocean and hopping onto a sunset-bound speedboat at the last possible minute? Then do it - and do it with style.

Their both the same kinda game.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,809 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The island in Just Cause was as borinbg as John Major. The city in crackdown is far better designed. Crackdown is more of a platform game than a GTA clone. It's more like jak and dexter 2 than GTA.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The island in Just Cause was as borinbg as John Major. The city in crackdown is far better designed. Crackdown is more of a platform game than a GTA clone. It's more like jak and dexter 2 than GTA.

Gotta disagree with that.
    The Island on Just Cause was far from boring, and Crackdown is every bit as much of a GTA clone as all the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Gotta disagree with that.
    The Island on Just Cause was far from boring, and Crackdown is every bit as much of a GTA clone as all the rest.

The island on Just Cause was absolutely mind numbingly boring. This is mentioned in every single review of the game and echoed by everyone that I have played it with!

I liked just cause on 360 but the island was preety boring i agree crackdown is more like a platform or puzzle game then a GTA clone .
    At what agility level do you need to be to scale the agency tower my agility level just turned to 3 and finding it hard to get to the highest point on the tower going to try again tonight.

I did it on level 4 its a bit tricky once you get up the to the 3 towers at the top but one of them has scaffolding that gets things moving .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I love it. Just cleared the first island, got my agility up to 4 and the sheer kinetics of the whole thing is just amazing. Jumping from roof to roof like a superhero before jumping down into the midst of a gang of unsuspecting enemies, blowing them miles into the sky with the grenade launcher before picking up the van load of reinforcements and throwing them off a bridge is just amazing. Every single licensed beat-em-up super-hero game should look at this and be embarassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭hannable80

what about online is it anygud whats the game play like online.......is it a free for all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

hannable80 wrote:
    what about online is it anygud whats the game play like online.......is it a free for all

There is no online, just co-op.

Tusky wrote:
    The island on Just Cause was absolutely mind numbingly boring. This is mentioned in every single review of the game and echoed by everyone that I have played it with!

So that's why IGN UK gave it an 8.8 out of 10 and referred to soaring over the island in a helicopter as one of the high points of the game then?!

If you find it boring, fair play, but don't say that all of the reviews agreed with you, cause quite frankly they didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

Retr0gamer wrote:

One huge complaint is the lack of offline co-op. I feel I'm missing out on a huge part of the game.

Other than that I'm rather enjoying it. A real 'make your own fun' game.

You dont have a live account? You really are missing out, im afraid to say. Co-op live really does double the fun, as cliche as that sounds. Running around with a friend, climbing the ageny tower together, setting up stupid stunts and explosions together, its such a laugh. Even sign up for a motnhly fee, pay 6 euro, and play it online for a bit, then cancel your sub. Its well worth it, trust me.

It's like 80 euro for that wireless card and hooking it up to the router via lan is out of the question since the router is upstairs. I'm not big into online gaming. Prefer to have the people in the room with me so I can hurl abuse at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,224 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Prefer to have the people in the room with me so I can hurl abuse at them.
    That's what the headset is for apparently ;)

I think there's cheaper alternatives on eBay with regards to the wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭40coats

I never got on with any of the GTA games or its clones; having a great time with this though. Would agree it's much more like a platformer although strangely I'd lost interest in them over the last few years too. Really like the lock-on implementation, it's very satisfying shooting the tyres out on a car hurtling towards you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭Julez

Yeah, got this a few days ago, just slapped it in today to give it a blast and I have to say I'm enjoying it alot, just leveling up and hoping around the place like a mad yoke, lol!

• Advertisement

Thought I'd made it to the top of the agency building on 3 stars (and with about 10 done on the way to the fourth) but no, made it to the top of one of towers which isn't the highest one so it didn't count. 4 star agility must make a serious difference.

Advertisement