Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Large Bottles of Guinness

• 20-02-2007 5:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

I 'discovered' these at the weekend. I, of course, was always aware of it, but never thought to buy it.

Great stuff.

I was sick of the crap being dished out as Guinness from the tap, so I asked for a large bottle.

More 'gassy' than the draught stuff, but goes down really well.

I think I'll be sticking with this for a while anyway.

Any thoughts on if it should be served from the shelf or the cooler?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

From the shelf, man.
    If it's a particularly warm pub, you could order from the cooler a few minutes before you finish the previous one. Let it warm a little on the bar. Really brings out the flavour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Are these the pint bottles? how much do pubs charge for them, I know they charge crazy amounts for pint bottles of bulmers.

Aah, but pint bottles of bulmers are 'trendy'.

I don't know what my local charges tbh, but I know it's nowhere near bulmer's prices. I'll take more notice tonight. For research purposes, of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Cider has a higher tax nowadays is more expensive. The real "problem" I think is that bulmers is available in 330ml bottles too. Most pubs charge disgraceful prices for 330ml bottles of normal beers. Most pubs I am in charge around €4.50 for a bottle of heineken, bud, miller etc, working out at €7.75 per pint!

I think they are multiplying it up. A pint bottle (568ml) is 1.72 times a 330ml bottle, so is usually cheaper in comparison, but still a total rip off.

The only value for money bottles in pubs are good quality beers in 500ml bottles which tend to be fairly reasonable priced (in comparison).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Big thing in waterford. Pint bottles from the shelf. Haven't seen it much since I moved to Dublin, but I did see it recently somewhere. (was it The Barbican in Castleknock?).

Anyway, great stuff alright, personally I prefer it on draught (not the extra cold stuff though - kills the taste).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Big thing in waterford. Pint bottles from the shelf. Haven't seen it much since I moved to Dublin

you will find it in the more 'local' working men type of pub, the trendy pubs and clubs usually only sell the 330ml draught bottle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

Are these large bottles you're going on about the Guinness extra stout bottles? Come in a four pack in an offie? Always like them a bit chilled if they're the same ones I'm thinking of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yep definitely drink the pint bottles from the shelf, I've been drinking it this way for a few years now but mostly if I'm going to a party or something.

If I'm in the pub I usually drink Guiness from the tap.

I know a few older guys who actually put the bottles beside the fire for about five minutes before drinking it. Again, not bad at all! Nice to see a bit of a revival of the old Guinness. It's sold in cans as well (but better from the bottle), you don't have to buy the draught stuff :)

Are these large bottles you're going on about the Guinness extra stout bottles? Come in a four pack in an offie? Always like them a bit chilled if they're the same ones I'm thinking of.
    Same drink - different bottle. They're 500ml. The more traditional pint bottle is found in the pub, and a few offys (down here anyway). The only beer that I know of that you still get money back for returning the (pint) bottles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

noby wrote:
    Same drink - different bottle. They're 500ml. The more traditional pint bottle is found in the pub, and a few offys (down here anyway). The only beer that I know of that you still get money back for returning the (pint) bottles.

Tesco in the UK sell the 500ml Guinness bottle :) It brought tears to my eyes to see them sitting on the shelves. Needless to say I reverentially made space in my trolley for a few :)

/Wonders do Tesco give out money for returning the bottle?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

most tesco's in irl stock them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

mulligans in poolbeg st do them .used to sell alot of them up to recently upped the price i think

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Chopper

I always drank the 500ml at home; love the flavour - its pure quality.
    Goes off quicker than the can draught but you can taste the freshness from the bottle :-)

I have switched to drinking the pint bottles in pubs also - mostly because of quality issues with draught - but also because it is quicker to be served a bottle and pour myself than to watch some spanner of a barman lash the black stuff into a pint glass and then leave it sit on the counter for far too long while he serves half a dozen other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Big thing in waterford. Pint bottles from the shelf
    Indeed, this is where I started drink them myself, was in Dungarvan for a weekend and some of the local lads were drinkign them so I had oen and got hooked.
    Chopper wrote:
    I always drank the 500ml at home; love the flavour - its pure quality.
    Goes off quicker than the can draught but you can taste the freshness from the bottle :-)

I have switched to drinking the pint bottles in pubs also - mostly because of quality issues with draught - but also because it is quicker to be served a bottle and pour myself than to watch some spanner of a barman lash the black stuff into a pint glass and then leave it sit on the counter for far too long while he serves half a dozen other people.
    I get the pint bottles in the pub if the pub has them alright.

On a side note, I got a few in Tescos yesterday, but also picked up some of that O'Hara's Celtic Stout from the Carlow Brewing Company

http://www.carlowbrewing.com/home.htm

Very nice indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭phunkadelic

Anyone know where I could get large bottles if Guinness? Oul fella is a big fan but I never see them in off licenses

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

BeerNut wrote: »
    Where do you live?

Live in Dublin, but the oul lad is in the south east, where the bottles seem to be most popular.

In Dublin I've seen large bottle in DrinkStore and Deveney's Dundrum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Hello 13 year-old thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

I got a box of 12 in Aldi a couple of weeks ago. Can't remember the price, think it was €27.

12 x 568ml bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Saw that on here, but none in my local aldi when I went looking. The only way I drink the stuff these days as I really don't like beer nitro'd anymore (and really don't craft breweries moving to it as a "good" thing nitro - ruins stouts and reds for me! They ain't going to convert Guinness drinkers, so don't bother.)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Macy0161 wrote: »
    They ain't going to convert Guinness drinkers, so don't bother.)

I think the Porterhouse would disagree with you. :p

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The only way I drink the stuff these days as I really don't like beer nitro'd anymore
    You can get non-nitro Guinness in half-litre bottle and cans in any supermarket. They've recently begun badging it as "Guinness Original" here to match the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Darc19 wrote: »
    I got a box of 12 in Aldi a couple of weeks ago. Can't remember the price, think it was €27.

12 x 568ml bottles.

Damn. Wish I'd known about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭Macy0161

BeerNut wrote: »
    You can get non-nitro Guinness in half-litre bottle and cans in any supermarket. They've recently begun badging it as "Guinness Original" here to match the UK.
    Ah yeah, but only if it was very good offer. Plenty of craft stout options way way better, even the O'Shea's to be honest.

Advertisement