Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

permanent tsb calling

• 20-02-2007 6:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭

got a dodgy call today form a private number today at around 5 enquiring about the service, wanting me to verify details.
    i didnt give away any detaikls
    just wondering if anyone else got the same call recently
    thanks
    ed

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Yup I surely did. They called me to ask how the service was for me, and to reconfirm and update details.
    I told them i didnt want to do so over the phone when they called me. I asked them for specific details about how their IVR worked and also how their text topup system worked. She was able to go on for ages n ages in an incredibly professional manner but all the info she gave me was total waffle. I then rang AIB and asked them if they just called me and they said that they didn't. So I dont know if its that these people are evil money grabbing bastards or that my bank is stupid.
    Well. I know my bank is stupid, but I still dont know if it's their fault or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Report it to the police and maybe they may have some way of tracking the caller. Sounds like attempted Identity Theft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I got one the other day that said he was calling from "your bank". To his credit when I asked what bank that was he replied "the main branch in Dublin", but when I asked him the main branch of which bank he just repeated himself. I told him to **** off and hung up.

Got a phising attack in the post a few weeks ago too. ****ers must be running "how to" courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Are they just dialling random numbers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

My parents are paranoid about this - they shred all their bills, apparently one method of getting information on you is to go though your wheelie bin. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

InFront wrote:
    My parents are paranoid about this - they shred all their bills, apparently one method of getting information on you is to go though your wheelie bin. :eek:
    I'd never just chuck out my bank details. It's easy enough to be caught out by experienced scammers, especially if you aren't clued up with modern technology etc. Say if they called in the morning and you were half asleep, for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

InFront wrote:
    Yep, through your recycling bin. Since its going to be a lot cleaner/dryer in the green bin, it makes the scammers lives a lot easier, so throwing bank statements/other personal records into it is a really stupid idea. There are people out there who'll seek out your details, and who can really fook you over if they get their hands on them, shredding or properly tearing up your records/account details only takes a few seconds but it may save you thousands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I'd like to see them go through it for one of my own statements. €23-something with AIB would hardly be worth their while :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

InFront wrote:
    I'd like to see them go through it for one of my own statements. €23-something with AIB would hardly be worth their while :D
    for the moment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Tell them you're not sure about your details and you'd have to get a statement to check, tell them to hold on a second, leave the phone down and go make a cup of tea.

Banks should never, ever ring you to "confirm" details... Make sure it costs them more to call you than they make. Also for every minute they're on "hold" it's another minute they can't spend scamming someone else

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

steveland? wrote:
    Banks should never, ever ring you to "confirm" details...
    They never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

InFront wrote:
    ID Fraud is a lot worse than just having your current account emptied. If they are successful (which they have been, many, many times throughout Europe and the US), they can pretend to be you, take out a massive loan and then the burden of proving that it wasn't you lies on you, so you could be stuck with a hefty bill for the bit of carelessness.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Just think - the banks pay an ungodly amount of money for computer equipment and software. Most glitches like overcharging customers etc are as a result of human error. Assuming their database doesn't randomly drop records then there's absolutely no reason for you to get a call to 'confirm' details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭Duff

My girlfriend works for permanant tsb and she said they never ever call to confirm details..thats what the computers are there for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Ptsb never, ever call to 'confirm' details or email. Most banks have passwords for their service and don't ask for the whole number, just random digits from it. Asking for it all is always a big give away.

Although ptsb will call you back if you're setting up a 3rd party account on your account but you'll be expecting that.

Advertisement