Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limiting user account to certain programs

• 20-02-2007 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

Hi I have created two accounts on my computer one is an admin account for installing stuff another is a limited account for playing games both are password protected to stop the kids playing games when they like but I want to have a third account with no password for educational purposes. My question is how do I prevent them from running games on this one (including pinball and solitare etc) and just educational programmes like encarta or maevis beacon etc.
    Any help much appreciated thanx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

You could change the file permissions on the games .exe's and only allow the two passoworded accounts access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

How would I do that?
    The machine is xp home btw
    cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

jay-me wrote:
    How would I do that?
    The machine is xp home btw
    cheers
    Right click on the executable (go to "Find Target" on the shortcut properties if you dunno where it is), Properties, Security, remove Users off the list and add just the accounts that you want to be able to access the programs (if they're not already on the list). Alternately, add the kids' user account to the list and check "Deny" for "Full Control".

This doesn't work on XP Home there is no security tab.

I have found a possible solution to my problem but I'm not sure how it works I have created a share on one of the folders in program files denied access to all but admins yet limited accounts still can access said folder and execute everything within.

This is the possible solution
    1. Click on the start button
    2. Then run
    3. Type shrpubw
    4. Chose the folder whose permissions you want to change and give the share a name
    5. Click next, now you can chose custom if you want to have full options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

I have a similar problem except I was wondering if there is a way to assign a password to certain programs rather than have to create several users.

I have a laptop that everyone in my house uses. That's fine.
    Except I have personal emails and files on microsoft outlook

Can I assign a password to Microsoft Outlook

I am using Microsoft XP Pro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Upgrade to Vista and use the parental control. It is brilliant.
    I have seen it on Ultimate but it is not available on Enterprise and Business Editions, so I guess the only other Vista with this feature is Home Premium.

Otherwise you have a lot of "parental control" softwares available for XP, just google it.

I have seen in colleges and schools, not to mention internet cafe's in the past that administrators have the ability to prevent users using programs. So it is possible to do. Does anyone else have an idea how to do it?
    Thanx

Bump

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

jay-me wrote:
    I have seen in colleges and schools, not to mention internet cafe's in the past that administrators have the ability to prevent users using programs. So it is possible to do. Does anyone else have an idea how to do it?
    Thanx

Yes they use 3rd party program like already mentionned.

Cyber Cafe softwares are sometimes really powerful with a lot of lock down features.
    On a Windows Home Edition you do not have the possibility to use all the lock down features you could use from an XP Pro within a Windows Domain for example.

I cant help you out in the choice of a proper software, but google might help you.
    This is what I found for example on Google.
    http://kids-computer.qarchive.org/

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

jay-me wrote:
    Thanx
    CACLS is a command line utility to assign permissions
    It's been around since NT 3.5

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/cacls.mspx?mfr=true
    use quotes if the username/groupname or file/folder has a space in it.

use /E to edit the permissions rather than change them

Thank you both for replys much appreciated.

Advertisement