Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

When will the new Toyota Camry hit the Irish Market?

Options
  • 21-02-2007 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭

I drove a rental Toyota Camry in the States last year and enjoyed it. Its not the best selling car for a reason. Rentals have crap spec but overall it was an enjoyable car to drive. I for one am looking forward to seeing it on the Irish market.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

I remember reading something about the new Camry not being introduced on the Irish market at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I sometimes wonder if the people at Toyota design a good car and then say "lets make this look as boring and awful as possible". The outgoing Camry can (IMO) only be described as hideous. It's almost as bad as the Cadillac CTS. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Really, thats a shame, I'll have to look into a Jap import, I really like the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

AFAIK I don't think they're going to sell them in Europe any more due to mostly poor sales. I remember Camry sales in the UK were abysmal - I think in one year they sold like 7 of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The Camry is no longer sold in Europe. It was never a great seller here or on the Continent like most big cars from main stream manufacturers. Similar cars such as the Ford Scorpio, Opel Omega and Nissan Maxima have also been axed over the last number of years.

• Advertisement

DonJose wrote:
    Really, thats a shame, I'll have to look into a Jap import, I really like the car.

Jap import Camrys usually have little or nothing in common with the Camry that is built and sold in the US.

I sometimes wonder if the people at Toyota design a good car and then say "lets make this look as boring and awful as possible". The outgoing Camry can (IMO) only be described as hideous. It's almost as bad as the Cadillac CTS. :eek:
    But then again its not the best selling car in the States for no reason. Its reliable, spacious and well priced, at least in the States ;)

bazz26 wrote:
    It was never a great seller here
    I'd imagine that unmarked Garda ones probably accounted for half their sales here!

bazz26 wrote:
    Jap import Camrys usually have little or nothing in common with the Camry that is built and sold in the US.
    Yes, more like a Corolla.

I'd imagine that unmarked Garda ones probably accounted for half their sales here!

Actually I think that aculade goes to the Ford Mondeo. :D

The Camry was always popular with taxi drivers. They were large inside and out, comfortable, reliable, ate miles and harsh depreciation meant they were cheap to buy second hand.

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Actually I think that aculade goes to the Ford Mondeo
    They would have a lot more Mondeos but so do lots of other motorists. Not that many other people buy Camrys though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,395 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DonJose wrote:
    But then again its not the best selling car in the States for no reason

The folks across the water are generally easily pleased in things motoring compared to us. Reliability, the functionality to go from A to B in a straight line and the capacity to hold four 300 pounders is enough to meet expectations ;)

The last time I was over there (on business) I had a Chrysler Sebring as a rental car. It was in Florida and it was a convertible with a V6 petrol engine. It was hot, but the aircon worked well (albeit it very noisy). Happy days, but the rest of the car was complete and utter sh!te

In rip off Ireland the most basic Toyota, a Yaris, costs more than a Toyota Camry in the States,

Ireland - Toyota Yaris €15,790 = $20,750

United States - Toyota Camry $18,470

A Yaris in the States costs €8,480

What a joke!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Ahh the obligatory "rip off Ireland " , "I can get it much cheaper in america" post. We arent even the dearest country in Europe for cars for a start. Plus even the cheapest countries in Europe wouldnt even come close to matching that US price.

I've lived abroad more than I've lived in Ireland, its lemons/lemmings like you that accept the system.

Theres 1 country in Europe thats more expensive :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

It was never a great seller here

Taxi men love them (the imported one anyway). I reckon their is more Jap imported Camry's here than their is Irish-spec models.

Same goes for the Toyota Estima/Lucida/Previa.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

DonJose wrote:
    Theres 1 country in Europe thats more expensive :rolleyes:

So would that not then mean that "we are not even the dearest country in europe"?

And what of the rest of my post? That stands as well. The cheaper end of th eeuropean market still cant touvh th eUS prices.

bazz26 wrote:
    That is mostly untrue. They used to make the Japanese market Camrys slightly smaller than other versions to fit in to a certain tax bracket (they're based on dimensions in Japan - same reason why the Estima was slightly smaller than the Previa), but stopped this in 1992 - instead only the Vista (a sister car) was made smaller and the Camry was the same size as everywhere else. The current Camry sold in Japan is mostly identical to what's built in the US.

What you're probably thinking of is this taxi drivers' favourite :D :
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ja/e/e3/トヨタ・カムリ.jpg

It's the V40 Camry sold from '94-'98 in Japan, for some reason not the same as any export/US-built versions. AFAIK it's mostly the same as the previous V30 (which we were still getting till '97 or '98) except for the body panels. Besides that anomoly, they've been pretty much the same as the US-oriented Camrys since 1992.

The current Camry sold in Japan is mostly identical to what's built in the US.

Zilog, whats the name of the Camry sold in Japan?

• Advertisement

The Toyota Camry, surprisingly :)

http://toyota.jp/camry/index.html

The Toyota Camry, surprisingly :)

http://toyota.jp/camry/index.html

Thanks for the link ;) I've been clicking blindly on the toyota.jp site without success, couldn't find the English version. Funny in a way, considering I'm flying to Japan in six weeks!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

You could always try to buy the car new as a tax free import from one of the Toyota networks in Japan. I dont think it is Toyopet or Netz, probably Toyota Vista but I dont know if this operation still exists or not. Someone mentioned earlier that there are more Camry Japanese specs here than Irish and I did spot a 02 Camry Estate that was only made for the asian market. It is known as the Camry Gracia and based on the 97-01 camry series.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭patto_chan

I lived in Japan for most of the 90s and bought a 98 Japanese Camry Gracia. I brought it home with me and drive it to this day.
    It's a great car. I considered trading it in a few years ago but the trade-in value was derisory so I decided then to drive it until the wheels fall off. So far 9 years and 230,000 kms.
    To contradict an earlier poster there are significant commonalities between US spec Camry and Japanese Camry - apart from RHD/LHD difference and added-spec options available in Japan. Toyota is successful because it uses common parts wherever possible across product lines.

I heard Toyota stopped selling the 2002 MY Camry 2 or 3 years ago because of difficulties meeting emissions regulations here?? More likely because the sales numbers were low.

It's a pity that Toyota decided to push the Avensis in Europe and leave the Camry in the US. The 2006 MY Camry has a hybrid option. That would have been nice.

One more point; I'm not sure you can buy in Japan and do a personal export. From my memory a car had to be registered for 6 months in Japan before it could be taken overseas. Possibly so as not to interfere with official export trade.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The camry didn't sell because it had a 4 cylinder engine, front wheel drive, and had a common badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

colm_mcm wrote:
    The camry didn't sell because it had a 4 cylinder engine, front wheel drive, and had a common badge.
    Bit like a Merc E200 so.. except for the fwd..

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

If I'm paying to run a 2.4, it'd have to be 6 cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

In the U.S. there are other camry's that have been built such as a Camry coupe 92-97 and the present Camry Solara coupe and convertible. They are both fitted with either 2.4 or 3.3 litre engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I had a V40 for 3 years, auto 2.2 diesel.Brilliant car. For some reason, Toyota dont put auto boxes in their diesels over here, apart from a 1.4 diesel auto I hear thats available now, not sure if it's in the corrola.I always thought it was strange that you couldn't buy an auto diesel camry over here and they are availabe elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement