Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL blocking newsgroups in evenings - Confirmed.

Options
  • 21-02-2007 12:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭

I just did a little testing and I can say for sure that NTL are blocking newsgroup access in the evenings. This is with NNTP protocol on port 119.

It worked fine for me during the day today using Newsleecher, connected up no problems. Tried to connect up a few minutes ago "No route to host" error with Newsleecher.

Changed my connection port to 443 since easynews let you use a pretty good variety of ports to connect to them with, now everything works fine.

So I reckon this is confirmation of UPC's new traffic shaping policies? Anyone else with concrete evidence?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

They are some very strong alegations
    Mabing they were working on something today and left the port blocked by mistake?? or teh thought no one would notice if it was blocked for a few days???? I hope this isnt true, this could very quickly lead to blocking torrents.

What traffic shaping policies are these?? I havent heard of any but would like to find out about them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

It's been like that for me for about a week, I was only arsed today to test it.

The other traffic shaping policy would be the abysmal torrent speeds I've been seeing in the evenings compared to the 200k+ I've been seeing during the day. That I haven't really got any solid data on though.

Maybe NTL just have too many poeple using their systems?? Maybe while they are changing over tehy are only making a small amount of the resources avaiable, Hopefully they are taking a long time to get INEX working or something?

Yeah, it's definitely got to do with the overcrowding on their network at the moment. Not really pushed about it to be honest since whenever BT's (2 week late) modem arrives I wont be using ntl anymore.

I do wonder will they keep up the traffic shaping after their Irish operation stops sucking with the INEX link back up though?

I really hope they dont as NTL seem to be the best out there at the moment. Which really is not saying much at all. :(

Do you really think BT is a better option?

• Advertisement

Not really. They are a cheaper option with the 3Mb/Phone/Total talk for €63 though. Went the Blueface route before and thought it was shíte and not dependable so that wasn't an option, so BT it was. After about 3 months of 200ms+ pings to the UK in the evenings there was no way I was keeping NTL.

Advertisement