Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film "The Secret"

Options
  • 21-02-2007 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭

I seen this a few month ago and have used its philosophy ever since and without going into details, it has done wonders. Lately, my mother has been dwelling in fear and nothing good has every come her way. More debts, more depression. I tryed consoling her that it was her attitude that brings these things to her but although she agreed, she couldn't shake it.

So I took it upon myself to give her a helping hand and show her this film, and she is reborn. The film really helps to give people vivid imagary of the "Law Of Attraction" and help them to apply it. Anyone else seen this film? I recommend anyone to see this, especially if your going through some hard times.

Thanks,

Dav.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Personally I think this "secret" is a crock. It has a load of professional teachers of the Laws of Attraction (the basis of the Secret), but very few of them mention the secret and no evidence of them teaching it is given. It's like they were interviewed and what they said was edited to give the secret creedence.

I see it as a new form of scientology, ie makes you think your life sucks and offers you an "easy" way of improving yourself. Granted, it probably won't have the same effect here as it does in the states, where it's a huge money making scheme, so here people might get some good from the theories in it (mainly they come from old hindu texts, I believe), and thye won't be suckered out of their money.

In all honesty, when something bad happens, then just sing "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life". It's cheaper and works just as good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

humanji wrote:
    Personally I think this "secret" is a crock. It has a load of professional teachers of the Laws of Attraction (the basis of the Secret), but very few of them mention the secret and no evidence of them teaching it is given. It's like they were interviewed and what they said was edited to give the secret creedence.

I see it as a new form of scientology, ie makes you think your life sucks and offers you an "easy" way of improving yourself. Granted, it probably won't have the same effect here as it does in the states, where it's a huge money making scheme, so here people might get some good from the theories in it (mainly they come from old hindu texts, I believe), and thye won't be suckered out of their money.

In all honesty, when something bad happens, then just sing "Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life". It's cheaper and works just as good.

I hear ya, but some people don't understand that, really. They can't see that to be happy, just be.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

So Glad wrote:
    to be happy, just be.
    That's some of the best advice I've read :) Of course, when you're in the slumps of depression, it's difficult to find reason to be happy, but I developed a very dark sense of humour to allow for it :cool: If it works for your mum, that's great! Whatever works for people is what's best for them. So long as you're not expected to pay for your faith in a cash and cheques kinda way, it's all good. But I'd say that's the difference between faith and religion (and is also another debate entirely). So long as she doesn't spend the inheritance on courses you're alright!!! LOL

Also, I can't shake feelings of Patrick Swayze's character and his "Fear and Love" routine from Donnie Darko :)

Finally OP, your name is Dav? So's mine! There aren't many of us :D
    * shakes hands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭MeatProduct

Hello So Glad,

I recently had the opportunity to see this dvd and I was most impressed. I have never before seen this information presented in a more accessible way. It can be very fearful to people at first but that's what makes life so much fun ;)

A dear friend first introduced me to these concepts about 3 years ago and while my mind could accept what she was telling me I didn't really believe it until about a year ago. Now I'm director of two companies and expanding. All I can say is that it works but no amount of talk will or should change anyone else's mind.

It costs nothing to change your thinking so it's very simple to give it a try and prove it to yourself!

Be abundant!!

:)

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

humanji wrote:

I'm very much in agreement, I was hoping the cultish/scientology aspects of 'Americanised' spirituality would bypass us here. (and for the most part I think it has) Positive thinking is a genuinely healthy option for living life, I just don't associate it with mass brainwashing and victim blaming attitudes that The Secret incorporates.

sounds like something George Bush was inducted into some years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1279084763732767570&q=the+secret
    first twenety minutes, free as a 'gift' to google video users. (viral marketing campaign)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭So Glad

Kharn wrote:
    Finally OP, your name is Dav? So's mine! There aren't many of us :D
    * shakes hands

My name's Davitt. Hows that for originality? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Just recently listened to the Audio version on CD. Its very similar to 'The power of intention' and the 'Ask and it is Given' stuff.

There is definitly something in it. How bad if it changes someones mind set from negitive to positive, I know a lot of people that could do with it. The general Irish mindset could do with a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 takenow

Hi, member a long time but never really used the board. I've being listening to The Secret while driving and I've found it to be a benefit to myself, I'm beginning to think deeper and understand my thoughts. This something I was never taught neither in school or at home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

If the Secret was true, every 5 year old girl that ever lived would have a pony.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

The basic message of positive thinking I would agree with (provided not taken too far). Woudn't be into the "metaphysical" stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I read the book, after it was recommended. I took from it that the basic message was that if you believe in something it will happen. So I asked, what happens at the races, you have 10 horses, each one of those horses has at least one punter having put his life savings on it, he "knows" it will win. What happens there?

Or someone with a disease, they "know" they will get better. But then they don't, why?

Or psychopaths who "know" they are right in what they do. Does this on some level make them right?

Way too many holes in the logic I think. Nice idea though

*I know I'm going to win the lotto*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

According to the secret if you wish for it, it will come. I saw the dvd, where a little kid looked at a bike in the window of a shop, and suddenly you could see his brainwaves being broadcast out of his head. The next day somebody delivers the bike to his door.

So what about the millions of starving Africans? They must be wishing for food. Why don't they have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

The Secret is a con which takes positive thinking and wraps it up in metaphysical nonsense.

If you focus on something for long enough, it'll probably happen for you. That's not a secret, it's just the way we work. If you forget about it, it probably won't happen. If it does happen, you'll notice; and if not, you'll forget.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,269 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Isn't The Secret basically Hakuna Matata from The Lion King?

"It's our problem free philosophy....."

If you have a good attitude you'll do well,thats it really :o

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Isn't The Secret basically Hakuna Matata from The Lion King?

"It's our problem free philosophy....."

If you have a good attitude you'll do well,thats it really :o

As I said: positive thinking wrapped up in metaphysical nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

As I said: positive thinking wrapped up in metaphysical nonsense.
    possibly a disclaimer that YOU believe its metaphysical nonsense, as some people probably believe it.

ive seen this "the secret" around, i thought it was a davinchi code style novel :o (judging, books, and covers springs to mind :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

So Glad wrote: »
    Lately, my mother has been dwelling in fear and nothing good has every come her way. More debts, more depression. I tryed consoling her that it was her attitude that brings these things to her

Why is telling someone that things are their fault "consoling"?

Do you think it would help someone being necklaced in Rwanda. "Hey, you attracted being brutally murdered by having a burning tyre placed around your neck, you just need to attract better things from the universe!"

Nerin wrote: »
    possibly a disclaimer that YOU believe its metaphysical nonsense, as some people probably believe it.

All the more important that they wake up and realise they're being ripped off, then.

Positive Thinking: Focus on your goals, and you will achieve them.
    The Secret: Focus on your goals, and the Universe will give them to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dancing_d

So Glad wrote: »
    They can't see that to be happy, just be.

That is so true - I used to always be analytical and obsess about minute details until I thought my head would explode.
    The route to happiness I believe is in the small stuff. Sunsets, sea walks, being with people that make you feel good and doing things that make you feel alive.
    Sh1t happens to everyone but it's what you do afterwards that defines you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I'm pretty rational, and don't believe in something unless I see real results. There is a lot of garbage out there in the self-help world, you can't deny that.

However, the Secret isn't garbage - it works. Before the book had even come out, I had put a lot of those concepts into practice in my own way (usually through a combination of meditation, awareness and positive thinking/action) and had seen amazing results. I was glad that someone had written a book to make the whole thing more accessible, often putting quite complex thoeries into layman's terms. I haven't even read all of the book, but what I've read has been excellent.

If you believe in "The Secret", and have the right attitude towards it - it works. Simple as that. But if you're serious about it, I would advise using a recognised meditation practice to get the best results, and keep the mind free of negativity. Thought, and your old thought patterns actually need to be taken under control, or else your doubts will sabotage the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kitsune9t

of course the part of this morally hideous bull**** that these positive thinking goons don't speak about is that your sufferings are merely the result of 'negative thinking', which means that , for example, my friend james who has terrible cerebral palsy and has to communicate through a single click neck mouse and rely on other people to feed him, clothe him, wipe his arse etc, and who is currently losing even that functionality, in some sense deserves, and has brought upon himself this suffering. These people sicken me.

Sorry to hear about your friend kitsune. The focus is not on negative thinking though, or the results of it. Nobody is claiming your friend is responsible for his difficulties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 kitsune9t

"Imperfect thoughts are the cause of all humanity's ills, including disease, poverty, and unhappiness."
    the secret.

so i think yes if you don't cherry pick what you want, the secret does maintin that disease etc are the result of negative thinking.
    i'm not metioning james to evoke pity, but because the secret is one of those beliefs only possible from witin a an affluent, fortuitious position where there isn't really that much wrong with you're life. in extreme cases, it's revealed to be not only bull but morally shallow and reprehensible.

kitsune9t wrote: »
    "Imperfect thoughts are the cause of all humanity's ills, including disease, poverty, and unhappiness."
    the secret.

This is kind of tricky territory really... but in some cases, our thoughts have become so warped by our society, our conditioning, our culture, that in many respects, an individual doesn't appear to have any control over them (or certainly loses control gradually over time, or throughout numerous lifetimes if you believe in that). The mind is so clouded that any hope for a way out is lost. So one can understand why on the surface it appears that some of us are simply cursed. But I think we have lessons to learn in each life based on the reality we create for ourselves, and all of this has to do with your thoughts. Different levels of counsciousness can be achieved in this very life - do you believe that, or have you tried it?

When you have a dream in your heart, and your dream comes true, it can also teach you a lesson - sometimes your dream doesn't bring you happiness after all, in fact it may make you more miserable. If you can learn the lesson, then you can transform your existence. Check this video:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4gzzt_the-matrix-of-illusion_tech

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 xxTrotsky69xx

so is there consensus on if the secret works or not? i know people who swear by it, but it looks a little iffy to me. plus I dont want to spend time working on the laws of attraction if im not certain its going to work for me. does anyone here have any good success stories other than whats been said already? thanks :o

It works. I have lots of success stories. The only problem with the law of attraction is you have to use it wisely. If you wish for the wrong thing, you will still get it! My last relationship was exactly what I had wished for, but in the end it turned out that it wasn't the best path for me, so we had to break up. You live and learn. But the law absolutely works... it even worked for me again just last week where I met the kind of person I believed I was going to meet.

You can have anything you want, but it is only through wisdom and experience that you will learn how some things that you *want* are not what you *need*, and they are not good for you. It's like those people who believe that being rich and having a big house will make them happy. It won't! So please don't wish for that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭Irish_Army01

When the secret came out which I watched on the Net I was open minded..

I remembered some years ago when I wanted to join the Army in 94 with 10,000 ppl applying and only a 500 intake..

I went for my interview and although it went very well I was still worried I didn't do enough..

Just now while reading this thread I remembered something.. before I went for my interview and afterwards I used to spend hours every day in my room looking through a collection of old An Cosantoir magazines( Defence Force Magazine) and wishing/hoping to get accepted..I think I waited approx 2 months before I got a letter for the Medical/Fitness test and then Recruit training and 15 years later still loving it..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Parents got it for me a few months back. Personally I found it to be a load of poop.
    If it works for you though, thats great.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

so is there consensus on if the secret works or not? i know people who swear by it, but it looks a little iffy to me. plus I dont want to spend time working on the laws of attraction if im not certain its going to work for me. does anyone here have any good success stories other than whats been said already? thanks :o

There's actually lots of that works but it's just common sense really, they ruined "the secret" by talking about spiritual nonsense.

if you put time and effort into anything and open yourself to opportunities happening to you then it's more likely that those things will happen.

if you want a 6ft dark guy with blue eyes and "think" about it all the time, you're more likely to make more of an effort with that type of guy, talk to them more and make an effort to do so hence your going to increase your changes of getting with that type of guy ten fold.

you're not attracting them to you because you're thinking of them you're acting based on your thoughts

this is life no?

if you're a positive person you will tend to attract positive people leading to more chances of something positive happen more often that not

if you're a negative person the opposite is true

but "the secret" is just a con.

Advertisement