Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You'd think it would be easy

Options
  • 21-02-2007 3:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭

I've been trying to figure out how to do the fading effect on a line in Photoshop CS2 for ages so it turns out like this:

spacer.jpg

Could somebody please just explain it to me, I've been at it way too long:o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I suppose you could make narrow rectangular shape with the marquee tool and fill it with a gradient that goes from black in the middle to transparent on each end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

create a rectangle ...

Make it the width you want .. and give it a bit of height so you can see what you're doing ...

Click Gradient
    Click Reflected Gradient

Click and hold from the center of the image to the right of the image ...

Chosing whatever colours you want ..

foreground colour will be center colour ...

James

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Or you could create a layer mask and make a circle going from black to white as your mask (like above).

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I did it in the end using the reflective thing but it wouldn't keep within the rectangle I drew, it filled up the whole canvas so I just cropped the canvas to the size I wanted and saved it as a jpg:o

Thanks for the advice, just glad it's over now:P

I think that forbairt may have meant to say - select an area (on a new layer) that is a rectangular shape with the selector tool (could be the wrong name for it). And then gradient that. The gradient will fill only within the selection area you have made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,594 ✭✭✭forbairt

Sorry was from memory and was the simplest solution I could think of ...

I had just meant create a new image actually :D ... iddn't realise it was to be part of another image ...

But as Gordon said ... create a rectangle using the Selector tool ... and away you go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

nah it wasn't part of another image:D

here it is in all its glory:

spacer.jpg

although on my site I'm using it 1 pix high, so half the height of that:)

Ah right, that's not quite the same thing (but if it's 1px then it doesn't matter). That effect can be done by simply making the 1px line and then creating the gradient on the layer blend - blending options - gradient fill afair.

Advertisement