Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to change from Cowboy hosting company

Options
  • 21-02-2007 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have done a website for a friend. They bought an email address (1 address) for €95 from some irish technology company. The same company said they could host the website for an extra €120 a year.

It seems as if all the websites they host are virtual directorys of 1 site ( ie. when you click a link on my site www.site.ie it doesnt go to www.site.ie/about.htm instead it goes to www.cowboyhosting.ie/site/about.htm)

I think it's all very expensive and would like to change hosters, is this easy when the email is already setup. How can i change the nameservers?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Who owns the domain? Have you or your friend access to the nameserver details? If yes then just change them to reflect the nameserver details for your new host, e.g. Blacknight or H365.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I just did a whois and it seems the technology company own it, so i guess they have access to the nameservers.

Is there any way i can contact the IEDR and cancel this and start again ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

No, but the cmpany can transfer the domain to another provider by sending a faxed instruction, which can be relayed to the IEDR. Contact a reputable host and they can sort you out,

HTH, Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

grahamor wrote:
    I just did a whois and it seems the technology company own it, so i guess they have access to the nameservers.

Is there any way i can contact the IEDR and cancel this and start again ?
    Are the hosting company listed as the actual owners of the domain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

who are the hosting company?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭upsfan

There are three types of domain contact, admin, tech and billing. Typically the hosting provider will be the tech contact and someone from the company will be the admin contact.

Irrespective of the situation here no reputable hosting company will hold your domain hostage, you just need to get the admin contact changed if necessary (to make it easy I think the current one can process this change, although I believe you can just write something on headed paper for the IEDR saying that the current admin contact has left the organisation/died etc - correct me if I'm wrong.)

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭grahamor

I got is sorted thanks, a signed request from the domain admin and a few calls to H365 sorted it.

The other company were never holding the domain hostage, i just didnt want to have to deal with them ever again so thats why i transferred the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭comer_97

name and shame!

Advertisement