Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems with sending emails - MAGNET

Options
  • 21-02-2007 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Since I am subscribed to the service, i cant send email. I have few accounts and i can send email to any of them.
    I can recive but i cant send. Does Magnet block the outgoing ports ???
    I use Thunderbird client.Always says that is connected, but thats it. And then after about minute windows pops up with information. Cannot send message : $!"$!!! -strange symbols. Damn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I use Microsoft Outlook 2007 with my Hotmail Account and it's working perfectly with Magnet...

Never used Thunderbird Client though...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

mrooqie wrote:
    Since I am subscribed to the service, i cant send email. I have few accounts and i can send email to any of them.
    I can recive but i cant send. Does Magnet block the outgoing ports ???
    I use Thunderbird client.Always says that is connected, but thats it. And then after about minute windows pops up with information. Cannot send message : $!"$!!! -strange symbols. Damn

Chances are that they [and many other ISP's] are blocking port 25 which is the port to send emails. If they are, they will have setup an SMTP server for their customers to use I don't see any mention of it on their website so I'd suggest you ring them and ask them if you need to specify their specific SMTP port for sending emails. If they give you the details, come back to us and one of us can talk you through configuring your email client.

EDIT : This is perfectly normal for ISP's to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭coldfeet

Also if you've changed from one isp over to another your probably using the old isp's outgoing mail server. You'll need to change that to what ever magnets is and then you can send away. It would be strange for them to block port 25.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

coldfeet wrote:
    It would be strange for them to block port 25.

Not at all. It is common practice with ISP's almost worldwide. It is used to combat spam and zombie machines sending spam. Very widely used practice and totaly needed, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

they do NOT block port 25, you probably have your smtp server set to your previous ISPs smtp server, which by default will be restricted to their own ip range.

Either use Magnets SMTP server ( not sure what it is ) or use the smtp servers of your email providers ( or if they dont provide one ) find a public/open smtp server lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

There should be an outgoiung setting for user name and password for SMTP. That often makes a proir ISP work on a different network (does for me). It isn't needed when your ISP for connection = ISP for SMTP

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

there is server of course
    smtp.magnet.ie

sorted

Advertisement