Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New DSL Router required

Options
  • 21-02-2007 10:59am
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I think we need a new router in work. We have the old Zyxel prestige 643 that we got with the eircom business package.

There are a few people using bittorrent and it's slowing the line right down.
    I want to get a router that has QoS and prioritise http traffic.
    It's not that the uplink or downlink is being saturated, I think it's the number of connections bittorrent creates is maxing out the number of connections which in turn prevents any http connections from being made.

Will a new router allow more connections(not physical)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭humaxf1

one way to fix that...cut out bit torrents!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

bit of a disgrace allowing torrents in a workplace

but ignoring that fact ......

Can get someone to install a sonicwall Tz170 for you

won't fall over like the zyxel with all the ports being opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I saw a 170 get overloaded with p2p stuff lately , maybe a bigger sonicwall or something ?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I think it's something to do with that max number of concurrent connections handled by the router. There are probably 7-8 people on the net at any one time. 2-3 of those could be torrenting. That can add up to alot of connections. I have limited the number of connections but one of the guys uses bitcommet and I'm not to familiar with that as opposed to utorrent.

I've already told him to download outside of business hours but so far he has ignored my requests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Slaanesh wrote:
    I've already told him to download outside of business hours but so far he has ignored my requests.

Can't understand that , come in in the morning and it will be ready , he must like watching progress bars.
    Anyway since he won't co-operate , can you dig out an old pc to temporarily use as a filter ? ( i promise it wont involve CLI black magic ...)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

What happens is the nat tables get flooded and start dropping entries.

Surprising though as xp limits to something like 50 half open sockets unlike linux which doesnt care.

Should be warnings in the router logs if this is what happening.

Sonicwall will cut all these problems out including the torrenting inside business hours.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Could be worth throwing ClarkConnect or IPCop or some such on a spare box and doing QoS on that?

Advertisement