Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smell from ensuite shower

Options
  • 21-02-2007 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭

I have a smell coming back up from the drain of my ensuite shower - sometimes it's fine and sometimes it's really bad. This week has been particularly bad.

I know this was discussed a couple of months back, so sorry for bringing it back up again. I know at the time it was suggested that maybe the 'water-trap' (I know that's the wrong name) had dried out. But I've been watching it and it doesn't ever dry out as the shower is used most days. I've tried lots of air fresheners to try and keep the smell under control with varying degrees of success and failure. No matter what I try, once I open the door of the shower enclosure, the smell hits me.

I'm just wondering is there anything else I can try? Is there any commercial products available that I can put down the drain that will reduce or eliminate the smell?

Comments

If the shower trap is OK, then check the other traps and pipe runs for cracks etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Monst

There are lots of products you could probably use, but you will more than likely end up with the smell back again, I would investigate what is causing the smell. If your ensuite shower is not close to the main soil pipe, then the waste pipe could be sagging inder the floor, ie not providing a straight downhill run to the main stack. If this is the case, you could just fix the waste pipe to provide as straight a run as poss.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Corkey123

If the trap is working as you suggest, then one possible cause is aleak in the the waste. However this would became very obvious as you would have a stain on the ceiling directly underneath. Stagnant water lying in a dip in the waste should not cause smells to get into the bathroom if the trap is working correctly.

My experience in thse areas has nearly always led to it being moisture getting behind the shower tray via the seal and stagnating thus creating the smell. Check your seal around the shower tray. It may be that the moisture is being absorbed by the plastrerboard at the back of the tray.

Typically this get worse when the room is warm or the shower is in frequent use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Is there an insert on the trap that you can pull up. Some allow you to remove them and clean. There's possible a couple of o-rings that could do with a cleaning too. If you can take it out go fishing to see if there is hair etc causing it to sit incorrectly. While you're at it throw down some Mr.Muscle of drain clean or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Are you getting a wad of hair and soap in the top of the drain? I find that if once a week I clear out the hair, then put a squirt of domestos down the drain, leave it a few minutes then jet it by putting the shower on cold and turning the head to jet, it stays fresh.

• Advertisement
Advertisement