Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Daihatsu Terios ...

Options
  • 21-02-2007 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Guys,
    We're looking at a 2005 Daihatsu Terios at the moment ... Have not taken it for a test drive yet but anyone out there got this model ??
    Does the 1.3 engine move this little SUV ? The new 1.5 is beyond our budget ...
    Thanks in advance ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

You've presumably decided that it's big enough for your needs but I was told by a dealer sales manager that Daihatsu were so aware of it's lack of space that part of the sales training instructed the salespeople, when passengers on a test drive, to sit against the door post and angle themselves towards the driver so they wouldn't feel the passenger was sitting on top of them!

I laughed.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I drove one a few years ago (2003), so it may be different to the 2005 model. But I think it's a bit of a pointless car. It's seriously narrow and has no boot space to speak of. From the side I suppose it looks like an SUV, but from the front it looks like a Fiat seicento on stilts. The 1.3 is sufficient around town, but even then I thought it was quite noisy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Salem wrote:
    Does the 1.3 engine move this little SUV ?

I'd imagine it would be extremely slow and unresponsive, but that's probably a good thing because keeping it upright in the corners would be a struggle if it were any more powerful.
    It will be reliable, but if you're looking for performance, practicality, economy, off road capability, on road capability or anything else for that matter, look elsewhere. A quick glance at carzone shows they're asking over €15k for these, anything else you buy for €15k will be better in almost every respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Salem

Thanks a lot guys .... We'll have a re-think ...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Salem wrote:
    Have not taken it for a test drive yet

Just test drive it, and see for yourself

Honest John has the following to say:
    What's Bad
    Not as good to drive as Suzuki Jimny

but note what Honest John says about the Jimny
    What's Bad
    Noisy and unrefined. Poor 'on-road' manners
    :D:D:D

So, where does that leave the Terios? ...go and find out and tell us about it !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Vorak

We had the 1.3 model for a couple of years and for what we needed, it was perfect. We have a 5 series for longer journeys so it was really just for nipping around the place. First gear is a complete joke, you can practically start in second gear, and the vision is poor because its so narrow ( the piece between the wind-screen and the side windows infringes on your field of view). However, its nippy, the boot takes a full golf-bag with a trolley. It also fits my golden retriever, whenever we're bringing him for a swim. We've also never had any technical difficulties. TBH it does exactly what it says on the tin. Its an ideal auto for a second car, but i would'nt want to drive from Dublin to Galway for example. We recently upgraded to a Hyundai Tucsan, as we just got too used to the hight of the Terious that we felt very low in a car.

Happy shopping

Advertisement