Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watching your laptor on your tv

• 21-02-2007 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I've got a question bout watching your laptop on your tv...

I've got a VGA cable and with that i can watch my laptop on a new 15" tv that i have that has a vga connection.

Now I want to watch it on a bigger tv that i have but its fairly old...it has rca sockets but not scart or vga. I've a scart to rca adaptor and i was told by friends that if i got a got a scart-vga adaptor and connect all three, it should work.

So basically it would work...laptop vga to vga to vga-scart adaptor to scart-rca adaptor.

Would it work?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If you give us the model of laptop and TV we could probably help more.

For now though, the VGA output from any computer uses a signal that is incompatible with a standard TV set unless (as you've discovered) the set has a VGA connector as many modern LCD/Plasma TVs have.

However most laptops nowadays do offer some form of connectivity in the shape of a CVBS (composite - yellow RCA Phono connector) or S-Video (5 pin mini-din connector). Perhaps the laptop has one of these, as I said if you give us it's make/model we can offer more advice.

I have never seen a VGA to SCART adaptor and doubt it would work with the older TV you describe anyway.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭hybie

Thanks...it's a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo L1300. It has a 7-pin s-video connector and a VGA and that's it.

Yeah I asked around yesterday and looked on ebay and couldn't see a VGA-Scart adaptor or cable. I did see on ebay a VGA-RCA cable but it said something about s-video as well. At the back of my tv I have no red socket just yellow and white for audio and visual.

That works fine with my PS2 where i have three cables, I just have no socket to put the red into but it works away because I think red and white are basically the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

If you bought the laptop new it probably came with an s-video to composite video connector, do you recall seeing it in the packaging ?

I think it's also possible to buy this adaptor. The bottom of this page shows what you need. This site also gives you an idea.

As for the red, white and yellow connectors from the PS2, the red and white are the audio left and right channels while the video comes from the yellow plug.

ZEN

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭$ausage$

Hey folks!

I have a question kind of like yours.

I want to connect my 42" Plasma to a 17" TFT using scart to vga.

Am I crazy or will a starrd vga to scart do ok?

any info would be great !

Cheers!

1Love

Jonny

Advertisement