Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong forum? Building issue

Options
  • 21-02-2007 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭

Thanks, have edited the post now. Really need some advice. Sorry this is so long, and I am removing things about phone calls, pointless visits by builders, etc.

Living in a 2yr old apt located on the 3rd floor of a 5 floor building.
    The owner of the apt is a family member.
    When I moved in 2 months previous, I noticed water stains in the corner of the sitting room on the walls and around the ceiling. It looked like it might be coming from a drain or water pipe that was running in the very corner, capped off/covered by more plaster board.
    The leak got worse, then it bubbled on the ceiling. I had spoken to and shown one of the builder's here about it. They said either them or the management company would contact myself or the owner. Of course, nothing happend.
    Finally the bubble burst and water came out.
    (all over my sub, and my Wii which I had driven to Longford to get!!!)
    I called the mgmt company after hours number on a Sat night. Was told someone would come Saun. No one showed until Monday late afternoon. It was plumber working for the mgmt company.
    He opened the hole a bit more to look. Said it was coming from a drain above. Would be back the next day. Never showed.
    Mgmt company then said it was a builder's issue. Builders came, opened the hole up even more and said it was a drain from above. Said they would be back when they could get access to apt above, said owner's of apt weren't available until the end of the last week. Nothing happend.
    Nor did anything happen monday, called the mgmt company that evening. Got a call back saying they had just talked to the owners above me who had never even heard from the builder's requiring access until now. Now the builder's were to be on Tuesday to fix the leak.
    Yes, thats right, it is still leaking up to that point. Steady dripping into a pot on the carpet in the sitting room.

Tuesday- No plumbing going on above. Still leaking Tuesday night. Sealed the whole thing up with plastic bags and tape.
    Wednesday - No update from either mgmt company or builder. The owner of this apartment called the mgmt company to set up a meeting with both them and the builder's regarding this, but was told it had been fixed yesterday.

So, it started officially leaking 2 weeks ago. The hole in the ceiling has gotten bigger due to the builder's and mgmt company plumber. As far as I am still aware, it leaked before covering it last night, just not onto the carpet anymore. (most likely down the wall where all the previous staining is)

To top it off, it turns out that it had been fixed before the owner moved into, since it was showing worse signs of damp at time of sale. The builder's at that time tried using silicone to seal the pipe running through the concrete, so dripping from up above would pool above the silcone and not down. Cosmetic job only.

Big concern about mold. The back of the damp plaster bold is covered with mold. I mean COVERED!! This is only the plaster that has come down from the ceiling, not sure how bad it may be on the walls. Concerned about the health issue this poses.

Phew.....if you made it this far. Thanks.
    Bottom line is, it's not a pipe for the unit here, its a drain pipe leaking from another floor...above us.
    What do we do now? We are being lied to on the phone by both builder and mgmt company, as well as directly to our faces. If we request an insurance assessor in, they work for the mgmt company. A solicitor would only be too glad to help I am sure due to the money involved in pursuing something like this.
    I know we are not alone in an experience like this and am hoping that someone who has been through it all can assist.
    Will answer any other q's if that helps, etc.

Desperate for assistance on this one!

Comments

Advertisement