Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aib

Options
  • 21-02-2007 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭

Firstly great Boards, Great Discussion etc, I usually just browse through them though at lunch time in work.

Anyway....here is what is boiling my blood and I want to hear some suggestions on this...

I have just had 4 Direct Debits unpaid by my AIB Current Account, this is the first time this has happened and to be honest they usually go through and Im minus until I get paid.

However, this time I did not have enough money for the direct debit to go through so it came back to me unpaid, thats fair enough but then they go and charge me €6.35 a pop for each unpaid Direct Debit, even though they didn't pay them for me and now have put my account into minus :mad:

I am very annoyed and thinking of moving away from them - but before I do does anyone have any suggestions about this.....to me this is plain cheeky - Imagine you asked a mate to pay something for you like he had done every month, then one month he says no and asks you for money anyway - he would get a kick where the sun dont shine....

Very annoyed so please advised before some little Customer Service Advisor gets lashed out of it....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭nodger

Here's a hint... try leaving more money in your account so that your DD's don't fail. Banks are not charitable organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I'm slightly confused. If these direct debits had been paid would you have gone over your agreed overdraft limit?

If so then AIB not paying them for you is fine. As for the charge of €6.35 for failed payments, I believe that this is made clear when you set up a direct debit. It always has been to me!

Whether it is excessive or not, (and I believe it is) you signed up to it, you should have asked what the charges were before signing up to the account. If you didn't like it you could have gone elsewhere.

I sympathise to some extent because these charges are a rip-off but then again you agreed to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

@ r3nu4l - That was something along the lines I was expecting but €6.35 for each Direct Debit is taking the piss in my opinion, I have not overdraft limit with AIB but usually if my account went into DR they would pay them and charge me on the interest or something like that.

Now though...this has stopped....do you think it is worthwhile ringing them?

@ nodger - **** you - no time for smart arse keyboard warriors

Hi Diddler, if you have previous examples of them paying the direct debits when you had no money in your account then it might be worth ringing them and asking politely. Getting your back up won't help.

On another note, resist the urge to personally abuse other users as this might get you banned and it's not worth it. Might be worth retracting what you've said there ;)

Let us know what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most, if not all, banks will charge you for unpaid DD's that bring you over your overdraft limit or below 0 if you have no overdraft - some even more than €6.35. Indeed, looking at my bank in the UK, they charge a staggering £30 sterling.

You seem to be in the wrong here, not AIB - as someone else said, they're not a charity.

• Advertisement

@ r3nu4l - Thanks for that advice on them paying them before - I will see how that goes, I shall try and be polite.

On another note - re Nodger - Buffy said the same thing without being a smart ars3, it was the manner in which it was said not the point....I know I am broke! Dont need some keyboard warrior to remind of that.

@ BuffyBot - £30 Sterling - OMG!! They're not a charity I know but having had a regular income for over 6 years - the last 4 months I took some time off (5 weeks) and now Im back working and almost have my finances on track and I get hit with this.

Thanks guys I will let you know how I get on

Diddler82 wrote:
    @ r3nu4l - That was something along the lines I was expecting but €6.35 for each Direct Debit is taking the piss in my opinion, I have not overdraft limit with AIB but usually if my account went into DR they would pay them and charge me on the interest or something like that.

Now though...this has stopped....do you think it is worthwhile ringing them?

@ nodger - **** you - no time for smart arse keyboard warriors

Why do you think €6.35 is taking the piss? This is typical of the irresponsible attitude that people seem to have towards money these days. If you make a committment to pay your debts by direct debit, you should honour it by actually having the funds available.

So "**** you" too, mate. If you can't handle a bit of criticism, don't post to a public forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boa-constrictor

nodger wrote:
    If you can't handle a bit of criticism, don't post to a public forum.
    r3nu4l wrote:
    I'm slightly confused. If these direct debits had been paid would you have gone over your agreed overdraft limit?

If so then AIB not paying them for you is fine.

Couple of pointers;

Nodger
    I believe the annoyance which resulted in the retort was as a result of your cynical response which was also factually inaccurate.

r3nu4l
    While your intentions were good, your post was also wrong.

Neither of you work in a bank, or if you do then you should read your operating procedures manual again.

Diddler 82 - the situation is as follows;
    Where a bank pays items which bring your account to a specific debit balance, regardless of whether this balance is within your overdraft limit, the payment of the items creates an implied limit. The bank then has to write to you and withdraw that implied limit. If it doesn not write to you and withdraw the implied limit, then they must pay further items which are within the implied limit. I take it from your post that the bank did not send you the letter withdrawing the implied limit on your account and therefore yes, you would have business writing to them to ask them to refund the unpaid fees.

I note your initial comments
    Diddler82 wrote:
    Firstly great Boards, Great Discussion etc,

I thought this when I first discovered the Boards as well. The truth however is that if you want an accurate answer to a query (on the Boards or indeed in general) you have to be sure the respondent is qualified to give it and not just some schmuch with too much time on their hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Couple of pointers;

Nodger
    I believe the annoyance which resulted in the retort was as a result of your cynical response which was also factually inaccurate.

r3nu4l
    While your intentions were good, your post was also wrong.

Neither of you work in a bank, or if you do then you should read your operating procedures manual again.

Diddler 82 - the situation is as follows;
    Where a bank pays items which bring your account to a specific debit balance, regardless of whether this balance is within your overdraft limit, the payment of the items creates an implied limit. The bank then has to write to you and withdraw that implied limit. If it doesn not write to you and withdraw the implied limit, then they must pay further items which are within the implied limit. I take it from your post that the bank did not send you the letter withdrawing the implied limit on your account and therefore yes, you would have business writing to them to ask them to refund the unpaid fees.

I note your initial comments

I thought this when I first discovered the Boards as well. The truth however is that if you want an accurate answer to a query (on the Boards or indeed in general) you have to be sure the respondent is qualified to give it and not just some schmuch with too much time on their hands.

BOA is correct, however AIB may well have wrote to you but may have the wrong address for you.
    I am very annoyed and thinking of moving away from them - but before I do does anyone have any suggestions about this.....to me this is plain cheeky - Imagine you asked a mate to pay something for you like he had done every month, then one month he says no and asks you for money anyway - he would get a kick where the sun dont shine....

Like with any mate, his patience may wear thin, he might get pissed off after a while.... you do have an obligation to ensure that you have enough money in your account to honour your debits.

Nodger

If it appeared cynical, it's because I thought it was a little bit 'rich' for him/her to complain about bank charges when he/she didn't seem too bothered about some direct debits failing, thereby possibly leaving his/her creditors out of pocket (if even temporarily). While my response might not have been 100% accurate, I believe what I said is basically true... people should leave adequate funds in their account to cover their direct debits. The overdraft facilities offered by banks might cater for people who don't feel the need to do this, but I personally think it's bad practice (for customers).

• Advertisement

...not just some schmuch with too much time on their hands.

Yeah, watch out for those schmucks! ;)

While your advice is good and correct, please come off your high horse and try to be less condescending. It's not big and it's not clever etc. Everyone gets things wrong at some stage and I'm pretty sure you've been wrong in the past too. The greatest teachers impart wisdom, not judgements! ;)

@r3nu4l - Again thanks for your help :)

@ BOA - Thanks for that, I did not received anything from the bank, the only thing I did receive previously was a reminder my Account was overdrawn and that interest will be charged on the amount, which is fair enough I suppose but never did I get any notification they would stop this - I will let you know how I get on.

@ Nodger - Your response amuses me somewhat, perhaps you're perfect and don't use an Overdraft, are financially secure, successful and dont have to worry about having adequate funds in your account, unfortunately as you can see I do.

It amuses me because it is the same type of ramblings of Marie Antoinette and the famous "let them eat cake" quote, all well and good having money but not everyone does and sometimes people wonder how much they will have at the end of the month rather than worrying about, as you put it "bad practice", come out of the Cotton Wool World you live in and you will see.

In an ideal world no one would have an overdraft and no one would miss direct debits, buts it's not and never will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭boa-constrictor

I stand by my comments. There is so much absolute crap on this site. I came across a post a few months ago where a guy was explaining what interbank settlements meant - he thought that a guy from each of the banks in Dublin met up with their chequebooks each evening to settle the banks accounts.

I think people should only offer advice if they know what their talking about. Its like on "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" when you do an "ask the audience". If you could just ask only the people who knew the answer to press their button, you might only get 10 replies but you would be guaranteed that atleast 70% would give the correct answer. Instead because everyone answers (they are probably told to) the results can often be unhelpful.

There are around 4 subjects that I am knowledgeable enough to speak authoritively on so I occasionally post here as I think this site could be a great resource if only people would stick to the subjects they actually know about.

I promise not to utter a word about nuclear physics, medicine, para gliding, exotic plants of the rain forest and hundreds of other disciplines which I know nothing about. Do us all a favour and do the same.
    nodger wrote:
    If it appeared cynical, it's because I thought it was a little bit 'rich' for him/her to complain about bank charges when he/she didn't seem too bothered about some direct debits failing

And by the way, Diddler82 was very bothered about direct debits being returned unpaid - thats why he posted in the first place!

Diddler82 wrote:
    @ Nodger - Your response amuses me somewhat, perhaps you're perfect and don't use an Overdraft, are financially secure, successful and dont have to worry about having adequate funds in your account, unfortunately as you can see I do.

It amuses me because it is the same type of ramblings of Marie Antoinette and the famous "let them eat cake" quote, all well and good having money but not everyone does and sometimes people wonder how much they will have at the end of the month rather than worrying about, as you put it "bad practice", come out of the Cotton Wool World you live in and you will see.

I don't live in a "Cotton Wool World", as you put it. I have a mortgage, various forms of insurance, utility and service bills to pay on a monthly basis. I live in a world where I pay my debts as they arise. Perhaps you should re-evaluate your rate of expenditure, seeing as it appears to have exceeded your rate of income?

Do you mind me asking, are you self-employed?

I think people should only offer advice if they know what their talking about.

Fair point, but anyone who comes to a forum like this for serious financial advice should get their head examined :)
    And by the way, Diddler82 was very bothered about direct debits being returned unpaid - thats why he posted in the first place!

I know he was concerned. Maybe I should have been more specific... I meant to suggest that he should ensure his debts are paid before he hits his overdraft.
    Obviously I don't know the chap's personal circumstances, so it may not be practical for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭Sonnenblumen

Diddler82 wrote:
    Firstly great Boards, Great Discussion etc, I usually just browse through them though at lunch time in work.

Anyway....here is what is boiling my blood and I want to hear some suggestions on this...

I have just had 4 Direct Debits unpaid by my AIB Current Account, this is the first time this has happened and to be honest they usually go through and Im minus until I get paid.

However, this time I did not have enough money for the direct debit to go through so it came back to me unpaid, thats fair enough but then they go and charge me €6.35 a pop for each unpaid Direct Debit, even though they didn't pay them for me and now have put my account into minus :mad:

Very annoyed so please advised before some little Customer Service Advisor gets lashed out of it....

I think you should move, otherwise you might spoil things for more reasonable but responsible customers.

Advertisement