Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Golf Insurance

• 21-02-2007 12:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭

Ok this is a pet pieve of mine so bear with me...

I see Bulmers have ended their sponsorship of GUI handicap cards. The sponship has been taken over by the insurance group AIG

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=184&si=1779953&issue_id=15279

In the same article it says

" All 200,000 registered amateur golfers are required to take out individual insurance to protect themselves from claims arising from accidents on and around golf courses."

I was not aware that this was a requirement for having a handicap with GUI? Is it true?

I have long been of the opinion that golf insurance (more specifically liability insurance) is an unwelcome invasion by an industry which (albeit indirectly) encourages litigation. I am aware of Irish people's litigious nature but I think it is an extremely small number of cases where anyone is seriously hurt by golfers and I think making insurance obligatory for golfers will only encourage more cases being taken to court.

I think the day where a starter on the first tee asks to see your insurance card before teeing off on the 1st tee are fast approaching.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

Have you been forced to take out insurance? I have a feeling that part of my sub goes to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭rick_fantastic

i got insurance with my club for 20euro for the year. even cover clubs in the car all the time and hole in one insurance to pay for drinks up to 380euro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭Aesop

I guess my point is I have no problem with people taking out personal insurance against whatever they want. I have a problem with liability insurance being made mandatory to play a round of golf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I had an incident a few years ago where someone claimed I had hit them (I say claim because the ball would have needed to have been jet propelled and clear an entire house). I don't know if there was a claim but I know I was covered and I had no specific golf insurance at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

What I was told is that your gui fee covers liability costs

not sure how true this is as it came from a friend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 zarleyman

On the subject of Golfing insurance, has anyone got information on Golf cover on travel insurance when travelling abroad. Does this tend to cover third party claims that may be made against you as a result of an accident on the course?
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Rather_b_diving

Golfsure which is the one most most golf clubs use covers personal liability and your equipment while on holidays. The hole in one cover is a bit different cos its supposed to be in an official competition so if you have a hole in one abroad don't go mad with the drinks. Its also only up to €130 cover for a hole in one not €380 as above. However this is Golfsure - if you've a different policy it may not cover you abroad.

your Greenfee on a course includes thirdparty liability so you'll never need to show a card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

The only requirements to hold a GUI handicap (or ILGU for that matter) is that you must submit the required number of cards to an affiliated golf club.

It may be that the club has a requirement that you must take out insurance to be a member.

The GUI/ILGU do not enforce this upon anyone - I think it is the club that encourages it.

It can be a costly expense if you hit someone with a ball.

S

Advertisement