Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRTA Airsoft (Archive)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

yeah its a bit weird feeling pity for the fella that shot ya neil but its a good point though,. Ive shot people (including neil :p) close range just out of fright really and sometimes you dont really get the chance to think about it before ya do it. Id hate to break my teeth though, Id immagine thats really painful.,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

krazy_8s wrote: »
    lol, cool. I was curious and a little drunk. Still not sure if I'm older then you though.

get a room you two ;)

anyway, am i the only one that thinks it's odd we've had 3 chipped teeth in a year? i just think that's a rather high amount? personally i don't show my teeth much, but i've been hit in the lip and although it stings, the force wasn't anywhere near what i think would be required to break a tooth (even a direct hit to the tooth), do you have to have weaker teeth than normal or something?

I was hit in the delph the on the first time i went to HRTA and its a horrible feeling, kinda compare it to biting stone or something.,lol, but it didnt damage my teeth at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

It was at something like 5 to 7 feet so that force probably coulda broken most teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

<Self Snip>

Reason: random drunken gibberish with no real point nor bearing on the conversation at hand really. I think I'll go get some sleep...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 775 ✭✭✭Boru.

Ouch, looks like a nasty injury, still a little cleaner looking then when Dar split his lip :rolleyes:

On the subject of the guy accidentally firing at you, strictly speaking it was his fault - the same as it would be in real life. It's called a negligent discharge, not an accidental discharge. Under stress conditions the body natrually tenses and muscles contract, including those in the hand. That certainly wasn't his fault, it's referred to as sympathetic nervous response and can't be helped. However having his finger on the trigger was his fault.

This is why when I and other instructors train fire arm units we teach them a little technqiue called indexing. Essentially you rest your finger on the trigger guard NOT the trigger, thus preventing negligent discharges.

Although it sucks getting your tooth knocked out it does serve as a great example that introducing a little more realism, and real training and saftey protocols would not only make the sport more fun, but safer too.

Index people, index. :D

Once my schedule clears up and I can get back to HRTA, I'd be more than happy to run a a short firearms saftey seminar adddressing things like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

I got shot in the bottom of my sack (yeah its possible if you mud slide sideways) by a guy that put his gun and 2 hands COMPLETLY around a corner of one of the site boxes. ABSOLUTE blind fireing but all i said to him was stop blind fireing and then i walked to the respawn. Fairs fair, he got me. However he should not have been blind fireing. Meh. A hits a hit. Hopefully hell never do it again. Im worried about the tooth thing though as i hate dentists. I have had a hole in one of my back mollers for 6 motnhs. It only hurts if i chew on it. God help me if im going to pay some dentist to strap me in and drill the hell outa my mouth for money. Im just not into BDSM :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

I agree with both Boru and KD as it happens. That is a lot of chipped teeth, time for some of Boru's training methinks...maybe you could record it and we mandate it before playing for new people...??

one more thing tho...wear a face mask, get one of the neoprene ones if you dont like the plastic ones thats if you dont want it to happen....there is a risk of it otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Arcto wrote: »
    I got shot in the bottom of my sack (yeah its possible if you mud slide sideways) by a guy that put his gun and 2 hands COMPLETLY around a corner of one of the site boxes. ABSOLUTE blind fireing but all i said to him was stop blind fireing and then i walked to the respawn. Fairs fair, he got me. However he should not have been blind fireing. Meh. A hits a hit. Hopefully hell never do it again. Im worried about the tooth thing though as i hate dentists. I have had a hole in one of my back mollers for 6 motnhs. It only hurts if i chew on it. God help me if im going to pay some dentist to strap me in and drill the hell outa my mouth for money. Im just not into BDSM :eek:

Off topic but;

Main street in Bray, above Eddie Rockets, there is a dentists surgery. The woman running it is an absolute star, seriously no pain at all.

I know how you feel about dentists, my last one whom I still call "Dr. Drill Happy" lost his license for being a freak but only after I had a few teeth out by the guy.

lol, at this rate of smashed china we could probably get preferential rates for the sport.

On a serious note however,

Consider the number of games played, the number of players, the number of those that are inexperienced and panic prone aas well as the sheer volume of BB's that have been fired and I think you'll reckon that 3 chipped teeth and a few bumps, knocks, cuts and bruises is conclusive evidence that we are a safe hobby.

By comparisson to the number of broken teeth endured in cycling, swimming, boxing, martial arts, wrestling, tennis, hurly, football and a bunch of other sports - some of which use gum shields as standard, I think 3 isnt too bad at all.

methinks hive is building some stats here for future letters....LOL...

good one ...

• Advertisement

if anyones going to get one of those neoprene masks instead of the full face ones there a lot cheaper in motorcycle shops rather than airsoft ones., The one i wear is actually for a bike and was a fiver i think..,

methinks hive is building some stats here for future letters....LOL...

good one ...

lol, I'm never off-duty :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

shoudnt ppl think about wearing gum shields if they want to look cool without wearing a mask,some sites in the uk and events worlwide insist you wear a gum shield if you only wear goggles for face protection,

there was nearly another ,what could have been a very serious incident yestersday ,

I still think that these incidents are freak accidents rather than a specific threat. I personally think that they are isolated events occuring by random chance.

Statistically, if it were happening every weekend then it would be an issue, but it happens every 2-3 months which means every twelve games (roughly).

Work it out.

20 people per game, playing an average of 5 hours. If each of those 20 people were to fire 100 rounds an hour that is 2000x5 = 10,000.

1 game is played per week meaning that in a month 40,000 bb's are fired. Thats 120,000 in three months.

120,000 rounds to slightly chip 1 tooth. Statisitically we are still way ahead of the curve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

People are responsible for there own safty on site tbh. Gum shields is something i plan to look into. The wearing of just eye protection I feel is more to do with being able to look down a scope and general comfort, rather then looking cool.

I still think that these incidents are freak accidents rather than a specific threat. I personally think that they are isolated events occuring by random chance.

Statistically, if it were happening every weekend then it would be an issue, but it happens every 2-3 months which means every twelve games (roughly).

Work it out.

20 people per game, playing an average of 5 hours. If each of those 20 people were to fire 100 rounds an hour that is 2000x5 = 10,000.

1 game is played per week meaning that in a month 40,000 bb's are fired. Thats 120,000 in three months.

120,000 rounds to slightly chip 1 tooth. Statisitically we are still way ahead of the curve.

jeeze we better go biodegradeable or we will be mountain climbing the fecken things out there....lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

I understand even when indexing, that someone can fire at close range out of nerves
    but I really think that if someone does shoot you at close range without claiming a "bang Kill", that the shot should be void and not counted as a hit
    This way people try harder to avoid the situation in the future, therefore the only times people would genuinely shoot within close range would be purely accidental.

Gizmodeon wrote: »
    I understand even when indexing, that someone can fire at close range out of nerves
    but I really think that if someone does shoot you at close range without claiming a "bang Kill", that the shot should be void and not counted as a hit
    This way people try harder to avoid the situation in the future, therefore the only times people would genuinely shoot within close range would be purely accidental.

Have to say i disagree. There are people I will not give a ban kill to simply because they have refused them in the past or expressed an opinion that they will refuse them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

why are bang kills coming so common ,every weeks you get some one boasting how many bang kills they got ,have to agree with boston not everybody like getting bang killed .or disagree with them ,the best ive seen was when alvin marshalled a few weeks ago and he issued bang kills at the the new porta cabin for saftey issues ,

or the new one calling bang kills from 15-20 feet away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭penguin-o7

Thought a bang kill was 10 feet and under
    i think it should be kept that way

• Advertisement

ive bang killed at around 20feet myself. the reason being that i couldnt have missed if i wanted to shoot the person as i sneaked up behind them so i gave them the opertunity to take it or i still could have shot them by the time they turn around and aim at me.,
    I bang killed another fella at the cabin yesterday from about 5 feet and he shot me out of fright really. there wasnt any dispute about it and he apologised. Just happens really.,

20 feet? I've been closer then that and had someone miss. Yea know beyond all this bang kill business I really don't like it when people aim high. If get shot 2 feet away its going to hurt but its not going to cause any real damage. The same can't be said for getting shot in the face from 10 or 20 feet.

Boston wrote: »
    20 feet? I've been closer then that and had someone miss. Yea know beyond all this bang kill business I really don't like it when people aim high. If get shot 2 feet away its going to hurt but its not going to cause any real damage. The same can't be said for getting shot in the face from 10 or 20 feet.

He was standing in the lane facing towards the contractors base and i was coming behind him. 20 feet is a lot less than it sounds when you have a man sized target in front of you. Id say i could easily have hit a milk bottle from that distance. Not to mention I was on full auto and whould have to be stevie wonder to miss.,lol.,:D

I take Dr peppers approach, offer, but if he shows the slightest sign of not taking it, open up.

yeah thats what i was doing,.lol, It was the 4th bang kill in the lane in a row that me and neil got on them., :D

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boston wrote: »
    I take Dr peppers approach, offer, but if he shows the slightest sign of not taking it, open up.

They can look around, but if the muzzle of their "gun" moves so much as an inch in my direction then they feel the full force of the Aug:D

Leathal was that you with the Bell M9 yesterday?

vtec wrote: »
    Leathal was that you with the Bell M9 yesterday?

Maybe in spirit but not in reality. I was in Belfast all day:p

EDIT: My m9 is a KJ and the mags arer currently leaking.

oh right.,lol,
    there was a fella there with a Bell M9 that he'd just bought and i was explaining to him that its broken but i dont think he understood why.,

EDIT:
    I think people called him spoon actually..,

• Advertisement

vtec wrote: »
    oh right.,lol,
    there was a fella there with a Bell M9 that he'd just bought and i was explaining to him that its broken but i dont think he understood why.,

EDIT:
    I think people called him spoon actually..,

Oh, 16assaultairsoft/Adrian. Its spoon...need i say more?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement