Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRTA Airsoft (Archive)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

Boston wrote: »
    Well he is a legend.

Yeah but that's only because it's been so long since he was last out that we have to read about it in ancient texts

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Spetzcong wrote: »
    Yeah but that's only because it's been so long since he was last out that we have to read about it in ancient texts

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Actually if anyone is bringing matt black spray with them on Saturday could I get a burst of it? I made a custom hand grip but they nylon is white and looks ridiculous

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I have loads of it, do you need primer too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Evolute

Its because of his knee Id be wary of going out airsofting after a dislocation. You can suffer with problems for years like a recurring dislocation.
    He will be out when he feels ready:D which I hope is bloody soon.:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Evolute wrote: »
    Its because of his knee Id be wary of going out airsofting after a dislocation. You can suffer with problems for years like a recurring dislocation.
    He will be out when he feels ready:D which I hope is bloody soon.:p

Me too ... I owe him for the MAC-10 incident.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

When you ask someone to shoot you - You deserve everything you get.

Besides, it was hillarious.

vtec wrote: »
    I have loads of it, do you need primer too?

Yeah I do if you have any spare. I thought I had some of that but it seems I'm out of all matts and primers. Thank's man. It's only a small area, about 6 inches square. Just to cover the nylon mold.

sounds like a good idea, look forward to seeing it, i was thinking of making something similar for my little m4 sniper project. ill bring along a primer, mat and flat laquer for ya.,;)

Tell you what then, I've got some nylon pellets left over, enough to make at least one more handgrip/pistol grip. You want?

I'll find a use for them eventually I'm sure when I'm making some more props but right now they're just sitting there doing sod all.

• Advertisement

nah thats no probs man, i have access to loads of stuff i could use., be interested to see how it turned out though and technique used to mould it.,

I used nylon thermoplastic. Initially I was using this just to make the reverse of the mould, then cast this. But it turned out so well and fit so snuggly I didn't feel the need to anymore. Thermoplastic nylon pellets will melt in boiling water, literally all I did was melt it, squeeze the water out, wrap the plastic around the handle and held the pistol grip tightly until the plastic started to set enough that I could take my hand away.

It set so well you can actually get my finger prints from it. It's a snug fit so I'm just gonna spray it black and leave it on for now. I may take it off later and cast it in carbon fibre reinforced urethane for a more tactile version.

sounds handy enough, my plan was to use GRP or something similar and cast a negative mound then to make the grip from that but the nylon sounds much handier to use.,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Dex: where do you get your nylon from? and also, is there a good place in ireland to source sheets and resin for making glass/carbon fibre pieces? i've only ever looked on ebay for stuff like that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭defenderdude

kdouglas wrote: »
    Dex: where do you get your nylon from? and also, is there a good place in ireland to source sheets and resin for making glass/carbon fibre pieces? i've only ever looked on ebay for stuff like that

Maplins sell it - polymorph, it called. cool stuff.

Also you can get Shapelock - same stuff...
    shapelock.com

err. dont know if it's the same stuff you use dex but should do the job...
    and I think most motorfactors such as halfords would sell fiberglass repair kits (GRP).

That polymorph stuff isn't far off what I use, it'd do the job too. Haven't heard of shapelock.

The stuff I use is all aircraft grade stuff. I just reccie it from stores.

Carbon fibre is a tough one to find, you usually have to go to high end auto body shops for that, and even then it'll cost you a bomb.
    Glass fibre is very easy to come by. Any boating store has masses of it. Many diy stores do too. Be careful when using it though, wear gloves and be sparing with the curing agent for the resin. Oh and never mix more than you need to.
    In the place I used to work in we had 6ft carbon fibre 50yard rolls. We also had the same in Nylon fibre, Kevlar and a few others. It was so handy working there sometimes.

NakedDex wrote: »
    In the place I used to work in we had 6ft carbon fibre 50yard rolls. We also had the same in Nylon fibre, Kevlar and a few others. It was so handy working there sometimes.

:eek::eek::eek:

aerospace I assume! or boats?

Not cheap stuff...:eek:

:D

Aerospace. I used to work on passenger aircraft, now I work solely on the high bypass jet engines.

Not a lot of use for kevlar or carbon fibre sheeting in engines though so I'm cut off. Everythings mad prices though in that game. I was once taking some firewall down from a cargo bay and cut through it by accident in several spots. It was a bout a 6x4ft sheet, about 1/8" thick and it was worth about 4,000.

I see price tags every day that would make your head spin. I do get access to a lot more heavy duty aluminium and titanium now though. And I can have stuff chrome/nickel/silver plated and powder coat painted

KD, B&Q have glass fibre cloth, (People will think i work for B&Q at this rate.,:D)
    its basically epoxy resin and a hardener and you use it to soak the fibre cloth which is pretty much the same stuff that insulates attics and stuff., its grat stuff to work with but it can dry very fast depending on amount of hardener and temp so you have to only mix what your gonna use as dex said.,

NakedDex wrote: »
    Aerospace. I used to work on passenger aircraft, now I work solely on the high bypass jet engines.

Not a lot of use for kevlar or carbon fibre sheeting in engines though so I'm cut off. Everythings mad prices though in that game. I was once taking some firewall down from a cargo bay and cut through it by accident in several spots. It was a bout a 6x4ft sheet, about 1/8" thick and it was worth about 4,000.

I see price tags every day that would make your head spin. I do get access to a lot more heavy duty aluminium and titanium now though. And I can have stuff chrome/nickel/silver plated and powder coat painted

Cool!:)
    I didnt think there was any chrome plating done here anymore... interesting

(dons work cap...:p wanna buy some powdercoating?)

getting too OT, talk to you at hrta!:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Dex, just sent you a PM, not airsoft related.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Request that all of this sweet thermoplastics info be split off in to the tips section so we dont lose it.

Gonna make me a new grip for the M4 now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

was at hrta at the week-end its great having the jeeps/ vans there for added cover, is there any plans for anything else to go in at the moment? I was just wondering as I was driving to work and passed a quick-fit garage and it had a big heap of old tyres outside, they would be great for cover and for bunkers, (went paintballing a couple of months ago they made good use of big tractor/industrial tyres to make the walls for a bunker with a plywood roof topped with sandbags for effect,)its just an idea as they would be alot less likey to get demoished by the wind/someone leaning against them and could be easy enough to move around if need be, anyone else have any ideas for some blue peter props?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Request that all of this sweet thermoplastics info be split off in to the tips section so we dont lose it.

Gonna make me a new grip for the M4 now :D

i second the motion...excellent find...particularly like the low temp it works in

KD on the resin stuff...there is a crowd in the UK called abl stevens that i used. they arent too bad on the price.

http://www.resin-supplies.co.uk/

they do the moulding material as well. thats not so cheap.

Studied materials sciences as part of my course work for 2 years, not to mention loads of other useful stuff. I had intended to use all this info to go into special effects and prop/set design but that has become nothing more than a hobby for me. I still do plenty of props but, alas, I haven't worked on any sets in a long time. Sets are a lot more fun too since you have such an open space. Take that jeep in HRTA for example, wouldn't take much more than a or twos work and the right materials to turn that into a WMIK and have it really look like it belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Seems I ask this every week..... Who's going Saturday?:D:D:D

lol., and me too.,

"I should be there"., :D

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭chalky

Seems I ask this every week..... Who's going Saturday?:D:D:D
    When you are all running around shooting each other on saturday, I'll be stuck inside suffering the joys of a Digital Signal Processing exam :(
    I need to shoot someone (in a friendly, airsoft way of course)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Oberleutnant

Hopefully i'll be there, fingers crossed

please dont be hungover Sat morn please!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Cheeky monkey

Go to your exam with all your gear cheat and see if they say anything to you :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement