Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRTA Airsoft (Archive)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭penguin-o7

Gatling wrote: »
    very true it seems a new social scene has grown in the safe zone and game area ,nobody is ever in a rush to play anymore ,

gaps in between games need to be shortened ,even worse is people coming with no batteries charged or when the leave the game zone to play they only bring enought ammo for 1/2 games and walk out of a game to get more bbs ,grrr

i think it would nearly be an idea to bring down one of the cabins not for gaming use but more as a item storage ie:bbs gas and small items or/and a viewing point.which would cut out the craic of having to walk up and down to the safe zone between every game for bbs gas batterys food drink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

penguin-o7 wrote: »
    i think it would nearly be an idea to bring down one of the cabins not for gaming use but more as a item storage ie:bbs gas and small items or/and a viewing point.which would cut out the craic of having to walk up and down to the safe zone between every game for bbs gas batterys food drink

Theres more then enough places already in the field for that and its what alot of people already do.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

What needs to be done is have games set already for the day as well. No point trying to work them out when everyone is out ready to play. Also it would be nice if the marshalls agreed on the rules. During one game I joined late as I had to get a battery re-charged (my main battery turned out to be dead before you give out to me) Giz who was one of the Marshalls said there was one respawn, then one of the other Marshalls (I think Dr. Pepper but I could be wrong) said no there were no respawns. A small thing and not a major problem for me but would confuse the hell out of people.

I think the games should be set out in advance with times to start them at and if people are too busy chatting then thats their problem. And please don't play that feckin helicopter rescue one ever again :p

Boston wrote: »
    Theres more then enough places already in the field for that and its what alot of people already do.

yeah i know what you mean well
    people could even just use the cabin already down there. i

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭theburi

Two sugesstions to organizers:
    First is to have a game plan for a day of when games start and how long will breaks last. Also how much ammo needed for each game. Blowing horn anouncing game start in 5 min would get people back into field.

Second is to form groups of players at the beginning of the day so they play together. You could have 4-5 groups and it will allow you to combine them to get proper team numbers. If people play with the same group they will get better and will learn to work together. They will also recognize each other and learn to communicate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

gandalf wrote: »
    Giz who was one of the Marshalls said there was one respawn, then one of the other Marshalls (I think Dr. Pepper but I could be wrong) said no there were no respawns

Ah yeah that was a problem,
    The players in the field started a game without any marshal and didn't explain the scenario or rules. From now on NO GAME can start until a marshal says so.

Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    The players in the field started a game without any marshal and didn't explain the scenario or rules. From now on NO GAME can start until a marshal says so.

i think that was just a break down in communication.
    Games dont usually start till a marshall says so or contractor dave

penguin-o7 wrote: »
    i think that was just a break down in communication.
    Games dont usually start till a marshall says so or contractor dave

No it was not a breakdown as this implies that there was "some" communication.
    The marshal's were not informed of anything.

As per the Rules:
    "Games start and stop with a horn or whistle blow."

2 Marshals had whistles and none were blown.
    No player is above the rules.

I pay from 10:30, and have no intention of sitting on my arse waiting for a marshal to decide to do something. We're mostly adults and if we can all agree on the rules of the scenario then why should we wait for a marshal. I've been at hrta on days where there was no marshals available and paul relied on regular players to have some cop on. Would I prefer something pre planned with thought out objectives, of course, am I willing to sit around for an hour and half while people decide what to do, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

No it was not a breakdown as this implies that there was "some" communication.
    The marshal's were not informed of anything.

As per the Rules:
    "Games start and stop with a horn or whistle blow."

2 Marshals had whistles and none were blown.
    No player is above the rules.

the rolling assault/retreat game is great with plenty of action and opportunites for ambushes, the "gettysburg style" assault tactic worked very well there was literally a wall of bbs coming at us from rows of airsofters at times! what i would say is that it would benifit from some extra marshals in game 3-4

ideally one near each regen point for each side and one poor soul in the middle

how about playing this game with three lives with a medic used for regens? when he dies someone else takes over until everyone is knocked out, where the last attacker is knocked out plant a "flag" the sides then switch around and you start again, its easy enough to follow too.

this would mean that their is a target position for teams to beat over the day and bragging rights go to the team that get the furthest? the medics would mean that it would be less like the ww1 "over the top" style attack?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭nonex

I pay from 10:30, and have no intention of sitting on my arse waiting for a marshal to decide to do something. We're mostly adults and if we can all agree on the rules of the scenario then why should we wait for a marshal. I've been at hrta on days where there was no marshals available and paul relied on regular players to have some cop on. Would I prefer something pre planned with thought out objectives, of course, am I willing to sit around for an hour and half while people decide what to do, no.

Your right joe, i wish every one was like you, and was on time,
    and yes some of the fault is mine as well, it's hard when players come at odd times as it keeps me from getting the games going and it keeps mel as well doing the signing in, when ppl are late it takes up my time getting them sorted out with battrys, bb's, rules, chorno, and so on.
    but thanks to the regular players for helping as i would get notting done.

johnboyire wrote: »
    the rolling assault/retreat game is great with plenty of action and opportunites for ambushes, the "gettysburg style" assault tactic worked very well there was literally a wall of bbs coming at us from rows of airsofters at times! what i would say is that it would benifit from some extra marshals in game 3-4

ideally one near each regen point for each side and one poor soul in the middle

how about playing this game with three lives with a medic used for regens? when he dies someone else takes over until everyone is knocked out, where the last attacker is knocked out plant a "flag" the sides then switch around and you start again, its easy enough to follow too.

this would mean that their is a target position for teams to beat over the day and bragging rights go to the team that get the furthest? the medics would mean that it would be less like the ww1 "over the top" style attack?

if any one wants to run a game play just type it up and give it to me and i will give it a go, any game you think thats what i'am here for.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

definitly bringing a whistle on saturday ,if people want to have a team meeting or chin wag about the night befores session they can leave the game of play ,when the whistle blows game on regardless,

bbs should be brought down with them,i dont understand the logic of bringing a mag of bbs to a game then run up to the safe zone every game to reload ,

If there is a breakdown with communications or Marshals, can ppl come to me,

i cant fix it, if i am not informed.

Boston nothing you have said had any resemblance to the situaiton being discussed.
    There were 3 marshals waiting for the players to inform them of the next game.
    However some players just ran a game without even explaining the full scenario to the players let alone the marshals who were present.

So there was no "waiting for a marshal to decide something".
    I take offense to your comments on a situation your were neither involved in nor do you seem to have any idea of what transpired.

Also Gatling i donated a whistle on Saturday so there are 2 now.
    Nonex: It was dealt with at the time.

I hope no one takes me up the wrong way, when i reply, as i am not good at spelling and i cant all ways type what i would like to say, so my replys are all ways short and sweet, and i hope i have not afended any one.
    paul

nonex wrote: »
    I hope no one takes me up the wrong way, when i reply, as i am not good at spelling and i cant all ways type what i would like to say, so my replys are all ways short and sweet.
    paul

Your a man of few words on the forum.
    You keep things simple and to the point.
    What more could one ask for!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Boston nothing you have said had any resemblance to the situaiton being discussed.
    However some players just ran a game without even explaining the full scenario to the players let alone the marshals who were present.

I take offense to your comments on a situation your were neither involved in nor do you seem to have any idea of what transpired.

Also Gatling i donated a whistle on Saturday so there are 2 now.
    Nonex: It was dealt with at the time.

It's not just a and b, there's always C :):

Get the camerman to marshall. thats what happened on the birthday shoot, and it worked,, quite well, even if I say so myself.

I know this discussion is different but i'd like to make 2 points:

1: ARRIVE ON TIME! Don't care if you're hungover from the night before, be there on time or dont be there.

2. I know marshalls are voluntary but you need to organize yourselves. Its not uncommon for players to be waiting for a marshall, even if they were ready in the above case.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I hope no one takes me up the wrong way, when i reply, as i am not good at spelling and i cant all ways type what i would like to say, so my replys are all ways short and sweet, and i hope i have not afended any one.
    paul

Sent you a PM on friday, please check your inbox :)

Another thing that annoyed me was the attitude of some of the attacking players in my final game which was an assault on the Ghosts base. Some of them were standing around the back of the action having a frigging chat. Roared at them to get moving and eventually they did but why go to the trouble of coming all the way to HRTA if you are not going to actively take part in the games.

/rant mode off

And also wtf were the Hawks doing, some perverted airsoft version of Aerobics, as I said on the day they were one step away from wearing spandex camo !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

in relation to the game started by the players, it was a straight forward game of kill the other team, simple as that. the players all knew the story and it was done to keep people warm and the games moving. the 3 marshells WHERE standing around talking at the time and so we started. it wasnt done in an attempt to rub anyone up the wrong way. we were just ready so called the game.

As stated already, players have ran games on the own merit long before hrta even moved into the new site and will continue to do so unless the marshalls have a game ready. nobody expects them to come up with everything and have it all planned out before hand. that game was a simple one while players who had to re-arm did so.

gandalf wrote: »
    And also wtf were the Hawks doing, some perverted airsoft version of Aerobics, as I said on the day they were one step away from wearing spandex camo !!

seen that too, good idea to learn how to fall and roll and such but some of what they were doing i didnt agree with and thought it shouldnt have been done at all and i ment to speak to paul about it but thats my opinion so wont get specific here.

over the last year from what i see is, airsoft is the new pub seen with out the drink, some come to meet new players, some to look at new aeg's, there are even some that come just to talk and never play airsoft, and dont forget the players that came to play airsoft, just back, have a time thinky and went fored in time 10 years, and yes it's as if, it was when we frist started, still the same.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

1: ARRIVE ON TIME! Don't care if you're hungover from the night before, be there on time or dont be there.

<< Are you for real?, You do know people play Airsoft for fun right. You cant order people to turn up at a set time and if you dont come at X time then DONT COME AT ALL, Really ctfo >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

over the last year from what i see is, airsoft is the new pub seen with out the drink, some come to meet new players, some to look at new aeg's, there are even some that come just to talk and never play airsoft, and dont forget the players that came to play airsoft, just back, have a time thinky and went fored in time 10 years, and yes it's as if, it was when we frist started, still the same.:D

I have to agree with you,

You go out on the sat morning its not only for the games, having a good chat with some random people you met for the first time is cool,

and then you shoot em ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

seen that too, good idea to learn how to fall and roll and such but some of what they were doing i didnt agree with and thought it shouldnt have been done at all and i ment to speak to paul about it but thats my opinion so wont get specific here.

Im one of them, the training might not directly relate to airsoft in some peoples opinion but its a team building excersize, there is no more important aspect of the game than having a team that can play fluently together and we can communicate very well as a team, I must say paul is one fit bastid.,;) and i havent trained in months so it was good to get loosened up before the gaming and the energy you get from it makes a huge difference to the games.
    oh, and we were only clocking in for the later half of the day so what we were doing from the morning doesnt really count as lazying around in the safezone and having a chat, id prefer to have everyone get into the action too.,;)

im all for team building and limbering up and such. thats a good idea. i had issues with other aspects of what ye were doing.not a huge issue but was just weary of it. i'll
    pm you so you know where i'm comming from.

I don't care about a particular situation. The stance that no game can begin without a marshal isn't feasible given the reality of how games are often organised at HRTA. If I arrive at HRTA, and there's enough people for a game I'll personally try to get those ready out onto the field as quickly as possible. Maybe that's a role you see as being for the marshals exclusively, I don't. I go to play.

If people are ready to play a game they should be able to go out and play it. The dutty of finding out whats going on falls to the late comers, be they marshals or otherwise.

Lets be clear, I don't care what happened and I'd rather not read moaning about something which as you say "was dealt with at the time" . A little less taking offence by people would go along way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭Puding

I don't care about a particular situation. The stance that no game can begin without a marshal isn't feasible given the reality of how games are often organised at HRTA. If I arrive at HRTA, and there's enough people for a game I'll personally try to get those ready out onto the field as quickly as possible. Maybe that's a role you see as being for the marshals exclusively, I don't. I go to play.

Will this not for example completely void your public liability insurance? playing without or with out sufficient marshals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement