Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRTA Airsoft (Archive)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

in relation to the game started by the players, it was a straight forward game of kill the other team, simple as that. the players all knew the story and it was done to keep people warm and the games moving. the 3 marshells WHERE standing around talking at the time and so we started. it wasnt done in an attempt to rub anyone up the wrong way. we were just ready so called the game.

As stated already, players have ran games on the own merit long before hrta even moved into the new site and will continue to do so unless the marshalls have a game ready. nobody expects them to come up with everything and have it all planned out before hand. that game was a simple one while players who had to re-arm did so.

Exactly, if I run off to reload, I'm not expecting the game to wait for me, and the first thing I do when I join a game thats already started is to ask what the story is.
    Puding wrote: »
    Will this not for example completely void your public liability insurance? playing without or with out sufficient marshals.

Most of the time the marshals are regulars who are sitting a game out, so the distinction is often semantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭c-90

i've only been to hrta once great craic but the only thing was "chairsofters":D maybe it was only because there was 6 of us there but it seemed some lads would rather talk about there gun than use it, but its a hobby and not a job so people can do as they please i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭johnboyire

c-90 wrote: »
    "chairsofters":D

:D:D classic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

johnboyire wrote: »
    :D:D classic

+1
    +patented

Also:
    Dear Boston,
    Since we have established that your original point was nothing to do with what we were discussing,
    might i point out that you quoted me and then give an opinion on something different?
    By quoting me and posting a reply it clearly looked like a reply to what i was saying.

Also i'm finished with this "debate".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

I just wanted to say that it was my first day marshalling
    and I was marshalling on my own so I didn't know what to do in a few situations, and I'm sorry if the warm up game was a bit of a mess, but to be honest it was run as a non-serious bit of fun while we were waiting for people to return from having their AEG's chrono'd.

Dr Pepper and Cheeky saw that things were getting a little out of hand, went to nonex, and then started marshalling to help me.

This is more appropriate kind of behavior than standing there and giving out like 5 year olds.

Also there was a lot of abusive yelling at each other as well, I didn't know for about 5 minutes about the "shooting through the trees" because I was standing outside the fight (light a marshall should). please consult the marshalls, get the game paused for 1 minute, things get cleared up so much easily and quicker.

On another note, please god will people lighten up here?
    It's a new drama every day, and anyone new to come onto boards who wants to join airsoft will take one look at the airsoft section and not bother!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

Gizmodeon wrote: »
    It's a new drama every day, and anyone new to come onto boards who wants to join airsoft will take one look at the airsoft section and not bother!

As much as I enjoy watching internet dramatics, I have to agree, I've been airsofting a while now, and everyone I've met has been, for the most part, really nice and friendly and helpful in person. This forum hasn't been reflecting that recently and I'd hate to think it was putting potential players off.

Back on topic, did the night game get run this weekend (was it this weekend?) and was it any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

nonex wrote: »
    if any one wants to run a game play just type it up and give it to me and i will give it a go, any game you think thats what i'am here for.

Wrote this a few weeks back:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055239068

The goal being that with predefined games, they would start quicker and without the need for marshals to make up game scenarios on the spur of the moment.

There's a few posts recently about how much time is spent in between games, and the long delays in getting started in the morning. All it takes is for any player to shout out "Game XXXX starts in 2 mins! Enter the playfield if you are playing". That does get games going, and doesn't require the intervention of marshals.

I've printed out the above Game Scenarios but won't be back in HRTA for 2 weeks. Perhaps someone here can make a few dozen photocopies, hand them out at HRTA and give this idea a go? We are great for talking here, but lets see if we can put some of it into action.

As I said, I'll be back in HRTA in two weeks and I will be handing out photocopies of the scenarios. It's up to everyone if they want to use them of course but I can't see the harm in giving it a go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

and I was marshalling on my own so I didn't know what to do in a few situations, and I'm sorry if the warm up game was a bit of a mess, but to be honest it was run as a non-serious bit of fun while we were waiting for people to return from having their AEG's chrono'd.

Dr Pepper and Cheeky saw that things were getting a little out of hand, went to nonex, and then started marshalling to help me.

This is more appropriate kind of behavior than standing there and giving out like 5 year olds.

Also there was a lot of abusive yelling at each other as well, I didn't know for about 5 minutes about the "shooting through the trees" because I was standing outside the fight (light a marshall should). please consult the marshalls, get the game paused for 1 minute, things get cleared up so much easily and quicker.

that wasnt the game being talked about. it was the one much later.

Aye, marshalling is harder than it looks. 1-2 people trying to keep an eye on dozens of players spread out over a field...most of whom are in camo. The exact rules regarding blindfiring, bang kills & prop movement are not widely known and it's something that needs to be addressed.

Oh and +1 regarding the daily drama comment. It is getting annoying. Discussion is fine, but anyone deliberately starting an argument should be banned for 24 instantly....1 week for repeat offences.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Gatling wrote: »
    very true it seems a new social scene has grown in the safe zone and game area ,nobody is ever in a rush to play anymore ,

gaps in between games need to be shortened ,even worse is people coming with no batteries charged or when the leave the game zone to play they only bring enought ammo for 1/2 games and walk out of a game to get more bbs ,grrr

Just want to say something on this real quick. Sometimes it is unavoidable. A battery can go dead mid game and means you have to walk off to change it. 5 minutes without one person isn't going to hurt proceedings much. I don't know about yourself, but I don't bring spare batteries onto the field. I expect them to last up until around lunchtime, then a quick charge and it'll last for the rest of the day.
    The ammo thing though I know is a bone of contention with many people. The mags for my rifle are only available in 50rnd and 470rnd varieties. Now I can't stand hi-caps personally. They sound like a baby rattle, the need winding and it removes tactical thinking about ammo levels and when to change mags. For this reason I use the 50rnd type. Since they cost a bloody fortune I only have 4 of them for now, meaning I can carry 200rnds plus two speed loaders giving me 400 rnds total. This is enough for 2-3 games depending on tasks and number of contacts. At this point I have no choice but to walk off and reload. Despite there being a game starting within a couple of minutes. I bring as much ammo as I can carry onto a field to enable me to continue playing but I'll be damned If I spend all that time buying and loading mid-caps and packing out speedloaders just so the half empty bottle of bbs in my pocket rattles and gives my position away. It takes away from the experience and it takes away from the fun.
    And since there is nowhere that you can leave a bottle of bbs or a spare battery, I'll continue doing what I'm doing until I can afford the 120 euro for another 4 mags.

Personally, I like the panic that having low ammo causes. Shouting "last mag" and actually having it mean something more significant than "I'm down to my last 400 shots" adds to the experience. Drawing a pistol with one mag remaining and counting every shot fired because I had nothing left in my primary was the most fun I've had in a defence game.

/rant

<run> synopsis
    Batteries die, mags empty.
    Don't persecute people because this happens. Hi-cap users can reload and rearm inside of a minute. Those of us who like our mid-caps and multiple mags will need 5 or 10 minutes every 3 games. Is it too much to ask?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭JohnReisman

Aye, marshalling is harder than it looks. 1-2 people trying to keep an eye on dozens of players spread out over a field...most of whom are in camo. The exact rules regarding blindfiring, bang kills & prop movement are not widely known and it's something that needs to be addressed.

Oh and +1 regarding the daily drama comment. It is getting annoying. Discussion is fine, but anyone deliberately starting an argument should be banned for 24 instantly....1 week for repeat offences.

Oh yeah??? You and whose army????

;)

Only kidding Brother Rabbit

:D:D:D:D:

Does make a bit of sense though. But may 3-5 days for second offence rather than 7.

While the main of part of conversation was a game later in the day I do want to echo Giz's comments. Its far too easy for people to forget that while in any skirmish we are all on the same side. I think to raise any issue ONE rep from a team/side should approach a marshal and only when they have counted to 60.

that doesnt always work when you have people shouting abuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,033 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

The thing is, there has been drama since day one. It's not a new occurrence.

You have a group of people who play a sport based on honour. It's a fragile system that can go very wrong very quickly. To add to that, the sport is new, under threat from outside elements and has a some what 'controversial' image.

All this added together creates an environment where people can disagree about a multitude of things. The reason it's been happening a lot lately is due to the numbers now posting on the forum. It just keeps growing and growing. This obviously means more varying opinions on different things and more disagreements.

On that note, I would appreciate it if people left their arguments from the skirmish sites behind at the skirmish sites. Either sort it out there or forget about it. Certainly don't bring it on here.

I wish it were as easy as that. People rarely go out to deliberately start an argument.

Anyway, back to civility.

How about a sin bin??

Or losing a life for seriously losing the rag. Just because it looks like combat doesnt mean people can forget Its A Game

a sin bin would be a good idea alright

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

i beginning to hate quotes,
    Dex i think you missed what i was saying ,im talking about guys that come down to play with 1 hi cap of bbs and leave bottles in the safe zone ,in the middle of a game just walking away ,as for batterys there is a lot of people who dont charge there batteries on a friday night ,thats why ive started carrying a spare 8.4 when im playing or marshalling,

as for Giz i hold my hand up on that one i should have stuck with her till she was comfortable on her own, then the freak injury made me leave the game zone,

i honestly think those of us that marshall regularly should get together some saturday and set guide lines ,

saturday was a great day ,

200th page on the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

No way. No Sin Bin.

... I'd never be out of it. Life like a sodding "Raggy-Doll"

/cue murmurs of unwanted flashbacks.

No way. No Sin Bin.

Ah come on now. You could end up forcing Paul's hand in getting more land for the sin bin that you could fill. Especially on the days where there are bang rules infractions. Actually I think I would enjoy that too. Roll on the sin bin. Spitfire, can you lend any tools to help with the job??? ;)

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

No way. No Sin Bin.

try the yellow card /red card system

as always persistant breaking of game rules gets you the yellow card ,

if the yellow isnt headed offender/s get the red and must leave the game zone for a number of games,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Alvin T. Grey

How about a sin bin??

Or losing a life for seriously losing the rag. Just because it looks like combat doesnt mean people can forget Its A Game
    a sin bin would be a good idea alright
    Yeah, I self imposed a five minute time out on Saturday after one of my "Not-the-best-moments-ever-Alvin".

Worked too.

i dont agree with the whole bang rule thing as a whole so i dont think that sin binning for that would be a good idea. at the end of the day you know the game and know it can sting before playing. its not exactly paintballs your being hit by.
    (not a dig at paintball or paintballers)

whats going to happen when hrta gets back to its cqb roots and the containers start building up? cant imagine running around shouting bang the whole time will be much fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

whats going to happen when hrta gets back to its cqb roots and the containers start building up? cant imagine running around shouting bang the whole time will be much fun.

Well, to the risk of shocking most that know me, I'd second that :eek:
    Especially now that I'm tooled up for CQB again:

MP5Kmod.jpg

(... and a 9.6v in there, along with a JG 560 rnds hicap = "the container cleaner") :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭nonex

Thats when the fun begins, i can hear them now before it has even happened, oh oh oh oh oh oh:D

i dont agree with the whole bang rule thing as a whole so i dont think that sin binning for that would be a good idea. at the end of the day you know the game and know it can sting before playing. its not exactly paintballs your being hit by.
    (not a dig at paintball or paintballers)

I've never been bothered if someone accidentely shoots me at very close range. It happens, and besides...I like pain. But deliberately shooting someone at close range when you have the OPTION to say 'bang' instead, shows someone as being a right b$%%^£$ to be honest. It's not about the sting of a hit, it's about common curtesy.

its one thing when you can get close enough to tell them you got em without them seeing you but if they could hear you or there is a chance your shot could deflect off something i would rather shoot or be shot. i'm not talking point black but if need be then fine. at the end of the day its still only 1j and it would make for some cool quick draw situations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭sci-ops

Lads, Just to say, I was a referee for a couple of years and fully understand the difficulties people face when trying to Marshal a bunch of lunatics on the field :D....and to be fair, I think the marshal's have been doing okay. With that I would also like to offer my services for a while when I happen to be out on the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    +1
    +patented

Also:
    Dear Boston,
    Since we have established that your original point was nothing to do with what we were discussing,
    might i point out that you quoted me and then give an opinion on something different?
    By quoting me and posting a reply it clearly looked like a reply to what i was saying.

Also i'm finished with this "debate".

I had a reply to this but decided not to bother. I don't need nor deserve the tone I'm getting off you Conor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

Ooookkk.,

lets draw a line in the sand, or in the post in this case,.;)

so whos going saturday? and i wonder will tony be comming up.,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Btw Giz I know I mentioned you but I wasn't saying it was your fault there should have been better co-ordination between all the marshalls in that game to get the respawn or lack of them sorted.

And yes I agree we do sound like a pack of whingers here but let me be clear about one thing, I left HRTA knackered but with a huge smile on my face Saturday. I dropped two lads home who were there for their first taste of airsoft who will definately be back. On the whole it was a brilliant days skirmishing. Thank you Paul and Mel it is always a pleasure to go to HRTA :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement