Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRTA Airsoft (Archive)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Irish Trinity

Hey just checking...is the age limit still 14?

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭hrta

Hey just checking...is the age limit still 14?

it is irish trinity

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭P.K

Dr_Pepper wrote: »
    Hey Paul,
    Just wanna make sure my 2x HiCapa 5.1 Mags are on the lost items board.
    Cheers,
    Conor

Also who is going out this Sunday.
    I for one haven't been out in so long that i'm gonna get rusty so this weekend is a must.

I found 2 of them today.
    The TM ones?
    there in the office

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

So whos Gaming tomorrow? im going, havent shot anyone in ages., :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭G3-Nut

vtec wrote: »
    So whos Gaming tomorrow? im going, havent shot anyone in ages., :)

dam the one sunday i cant go lol...im stuck knocking down the shed so im out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

Hoping to make it out for a bit tomorrow. Pretty rusty myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Could turn this into a survey/poll if necessary.

What do people think of the idea of sundays being midcaps only? Or even, one hicap or 4/5 midcaps per game max. Or even part of sunday :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

I reckon its time to mature the games and types.
    Up north they run "CLOSED" days all the time which can faciliate those rules being put in place and followed easily.

Myself and Andy have run several "ammo restricted" games in the past which were received quite well. We set the ammo pre game as 3xmidcaps or 1xhicap.
    1x pistol mag was also allowed. I recall we tried to play 1 after lunch and we ran those games for the rest of the day.

It reduced the planks with tiny AEGS and box mags to using their normal mags.

With these kind of limitations on "Closed days - i.e no rentals" it will entice the more serious players to the field on that given day.
    Personally i would be all for seeing Sundays as Closed days.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Could turn this into a survey/poll if necessary.

What do people think of the idea of sundays being midcaps only? Or even, one hicap or 4/5 midcaps per game max. Or even part of sunday :-)

Would be cool alright, sure would add alot of panic and stuff...sounds good

What do people think of actually playing a structured game at all on Sunday afternoon? That said, a thoroughly enjoyable afternoon's play, and I think we have a new scenario:

Chase Kev With The Jeep! I thought of some rules in order to make a game of it, mid-caps included...

• Advertisement

Up north they run "CLOSED" days all the time which can faciliate those rules being put in place and followed easily.

Myself and Andy have run several "ammo restricted" games in the past which were received quite well. We set the ammo pre game as 3xmidcaps or 1xhicap.
    1x pistol mag was also allowed. I recall we tried to play 1 after lunch and we ran those games for the rest of the day.

With these kind of limitations on "Closed days - i.e no rentals" it will entice the more serious players to the field on that given day.

Yeah, that sounds good. I won't be back for a few weeks, but I'd be well in favour of that. I was there for that day and it was excellent. Really helps with structured scenarios.

Definately would go for that, sure would be nice if there was no rentals, and besides, its pretty annoying when i go all the way from carlow and my AEG has a fault, then there are no rental AEGs left and i have to go home which last time was 4 hours of driving 2.5 of skirmishing...im pretty sure there would be a higher turn out on closed days aswell...but it depends on paul really, he abviously makes alot of business on sundays from rentals, which means more killhouses:) but im sure we all know that he seems to have a huge consideration for his players

G3-Nut wrote: »
    Definately would go for that, sure would be nice if there was no rentals, and besides, its pretty annoying when i go all the way from carlow and my AEG has a fault, then there are no rental AEGs left and i have to go home which last time was 4 hours of driving 2.5 of skirmishing...im pretty sure there would be a higher turn out on closed days aswell...but it depends on paul really, he abviously makes alot of business on sundays from rentals, which means more killhouses:) but im sure we all know that he seems to have a huge consideration for his players

I think rentals are important, both for the income for the site owner, and because they're new players.

We want to mature the games, not exclude a demographic that -might- be not fun to play with. Right now, we're having experienced players not wanting to play at the site any more because there are lads running around with box mags and lads not taking their hits. Granted the not taking hits thing applies to most games, but tbh, there's a kind of player that won't want to play limited-ammo games, and I don't want to play with them :-)

And your last comment is precisely why i think having 2 closed days a month is a viable option. The players who wanna go "hardcore" can do it on these days.
    Those who dont still have another 6 days of normal fun. Thats a 3-1 ratio for rentals and box mag warriors.

Honestly i dont see it as exclusion given that the majority remains the same.
    My m16 does 28rps and i still use midcaps, admittedly i have used the off hicap for supression. Its all about preference.

I think rentals are important, both for the income for the site owner, and because they're new players.

We want to mature the games, not exclude a demographic that -might- be not fun to play with. Right now, we're having experienced players not wanting to play at the site any more because there are lads running around with box mags and lads not taking their hits. Granted the not taking hits thing applies to most games, but tbh, there's a kind of player that won't want to play limited-ammo games, and I don't want to play with them :-)

Yeah thats what i meant its good for business...i have noticed people not taking hits because they have got so far etc, maybe some medic games would make those guys change their mind about being hit since they can continue where they left off, MAYBE lol...but you always get someone who doesnt take hits...i dont know who he was but two weeks ago i hit some guy with a burst from 20 feet away only for him to turn around crouch and pummel my chest with about 20 BB's, at the same time you had just been shooting at me from the container near hawks base, so i thought since it was so many BB's maybe you hit me too, but what pee'd me off was when i lfted my hand, he did the same, even though he didnt even get engaged by anyone, ridiculous..

G3-Nut wrote: »
    Yeah thats what i meant its good for business...i have noticed people not taking hits because they have got so far etc, maybe some medic games would make those guys change their mind about being hit since they can continue where they left off, MAYBE lol...but you always get someone who doesnt take hits...i dont know who he was but two weeks ago i hit some guy with a burst from 20 feet away only for him to turn around crouch and pummel my chest with about 20 BB's, at the same time you had just been shooting at me from the container near hawks base, so i thought since it was so many BB's maybe you hit me too, but what pee'd me off was when i lfted my hand, he did the same, even though he didnt even get engaged by anyone, ridiculous..

Aye. I've stopped getting annoyed by individual cases of lads not taking hits, it's more of a general thing now.

Aye. I've stopped getting annoyed by individual cases of lads not taking hits, it's more of a general thing now.

you just gave me an idea....copy yours lol

Good ideas there DrP.

and kudos to gerrout also.
    I personally have been known to have a bit of a short temper when it comes to people cheating and there have been a few occasions where I get really pissed off about it. That's not the thing to do in this situation at all, its never worked for me and then I cant go back out and play with/against all the honest and honourable players if i'm in a poxy mood, for fear of taking it out on them. So i'll either go home or hang around the safe zone or something for a while.

I don't have any problems with rentals playing on any given day at all, as long as they play by the same rules then they aren't any different to me or you. and I met a lot of the regular lads on here and on the sites, when they were first coming into the game as rentals.

I would like to see a day or even an hour or two set aside for restricted magazine rules where we are all EQUAL on the field, instead of having a game of "paint teh airsofterz wit yore Cmagz!" for whoever has the biggest magazine/most money to foolishly spend on BBs. But hey, that's airsoft... And combine that, with a player who isn't exactly radiating with honesty and the game becomes a chore for most involved.

I used to really look forward to the saturday games when id be packing al my kit the night before to make doubly sure i was well prepared for the days gaming, but in recent months its sort of got to the stage where it sometimes feels like a chore for me to get up and head out. I used to do it to have a laugh on the weekend and it would be a good stress relief but more and more it seems like you just go and end up getting in a pissey mood for stupid reasons just because someone wants to win at ALL costs, including loosing the respect of the rest of the field, and it only takes one or two of them to ruin it.

Theres a handful of players i've seen guilty of exactly that, who often play in hrta, fingal and drogheda as well as a couple of examples I've seen on my 2 trips to GTAC. its almost always the same people who are doing it too and I just feel that there isn't any procedure in place to let these people know that what they are doing is putting long time regular players off playing the game and that if they continue to do it nobody will want to game with them, and the sites wont want them attending if they are loosing their regulars from it.
    Myself, I've been thinking about packing in the weekend games altogether and just going out with the lads I already know for big games like PR2, Berget etc etc.

EDIT:
    Maybe we should post a thread in the main forum since this applies to all sites ive played at myself.,

Aye. I think there's a fine balance there -- some players just need some cop on, and with respect to the marshals, it can be pretty intimidating to put someone off the field for cheating, since they might not come back. I've pointed out cheaters, and seen them continue to cheat unchecked, and the marshals can't be everywhere. It's down to how the site deals with it, and I guess the sport is getting big enough that public games will always have cheaters.

The few times I've been paintballing, nobody's been let near the field until they've had the rules briefing. Maybe it's time to start doing that, even for regulars, so there's no excuse.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Dave problem with that point, albeit a great one.

Is the rate at which people just stroll down to the site. I think its extremely annoying and disrespectful. " A its grand we can stall down at 11 sure its grand"

I make it my business to be there first thing in the morning, fair enough I get a lift with guys in the similar mood, but if i made my own way it would the same.

Trying to brief everyone at different stages would be serious ****ing effort for paul, im sure he doesnt want to be sitting in the cabin waiting for straglers, im sure hed like to watch some games, do some work to the site, or maybe play a few games himself.

These debates always come down to the players themselves.

Get your ass down in time, theres two distinct times one in morning one in afteroon and everyone should make it their business to get there in time, which would make a briefing easier for all.

As regards cheaters, im out of ideas for this one, I dont see what can be done..I know personally when i shoot someone who blatantly doesnt take it, I just calmy do my " aw mate come on stop acting the tit your hit, gwan now get going good lad" and that usually works.

I've noticed even a severe amount of cheater checks...not taking the checks haha.

I honestly dont know how to solve it, but its getting so annoying its not even funny. I'm even at the stage of having to tell my own players on my team ( not hawks whatever side im on) to take their hits, when they are blatantly hit.

• Advertisement

Tbh when cheater checking if someone doesnt take a hit they should be kicked off the field for that game.
    Do it again and get banned.
    If people fear the marshals they wont act up.

I have made an example of these cheaters in the past and i believe firm and harsh measures from the marshals are needed in order to keep ppl in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

I've said for many years (in other areas) that we have plenty of rules in this country, we're just really weak at enforcing them.

Site owners are understandably reluctant to ban people because it's turning away business. However, when the business lost by pissing off regular customers outweighs the revenue lost by banning a cheater, I'm sure the owners will start to eject people. So in a certain sense, it's a self-correcting problem.

In fairness to Paul, he's banned cheaters before, and I'm quite sure he'll do it again if he has to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

i believe firm and harsh measures from the marshals are needed in order to keep ppl in check.

Firm but fair, yes. That's the same principle used by refs in all sports.

Harsh is for repeat offenders ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Airsofty

Look dues, its as simple as this- got enuf marshals ya get less cheats... Or at least make sure the marshals aint off talking ****e somewhere when they are supposed to be on the ball... Red card system should be put in place too...

But it is a game of honour afterall, marshalls should be invisible and only get involved when needed. having loads of marshalls all over the place would be conter produstive in my opinion.,

That, and the fact that some of these cheaters dont give a sh*t about the marshal seeing them, their happy to chance their arm. Ive witnessed this a lot and only yesterday there was a guy standing there not even 15ft away from me and a marshal. he had his terminator suit on by the looks of it, abouyt 3 rounds bounced off him, then he moved to another cover, and a further 6ish bounced off him, THEN the Marshall shot him and he didnt even take that either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭Airsofty

Well thats a Yellow card situation then..lol- maybe even a wall of shame would work?.. But yeah agree about loads of marshals, but sometimes ya got 1 marshal on 30-40 peps... so theres gotta be a happy medium somewhere... Sure as hell cant rely on human honesty if ya ask me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

Personally I haven't played HRTA in months, so I dunno what the situation is like these days, but the reason I stopped playing there was because of the sheer volume of cheating I experienced there. This is no reflection on Paul or on HRTA as a site, I think it's got more to do with the fact that HRTA attracts the largest number of players of any site I've played at, and also that compared to other sites has a much higher proportion of new players. This isn't to bash new players, but the fact that airsoft is a game of honour does tend to have less of an impact on people who are only trying it out for a day as opposed to people who play week in week out, plus once one new player starts blatantly cheating others soon follow.

Non hit taking is something that I've seen at every site I've ever played at, it is unfortunately a part and parcel of the game, in general I will just ignore the fact that my opponents are being unsportsmanlike and will take hits from people, even when I know I have hit them first. I can walk to the regen point with my head held high, secure in the knowledge that the only way they could defeat me was to cheat. It did get to the point though that I became totally dissolusioned with HRTA, I guess I just had a bad couple of weeks with a higher than normal number of cheaters or something but my patience for going out on a weekend and playing fair when many others were not just wore out, all I wanted was an honest game of airsoft.

I'd love for there to be closed days in HRTA, I couldn't care less about ammo restrictions, but it would be great to get a chance to play with some of the HRTA regulars again, yiz make for skilled players and challenging opponents, the site is great and I've had some truely epic firefights there it's just that there's nothing worse than putting a lot of time and energy into the perfect ambush or flanking manouver and then it all gets ruined because the enemy brought their bulletproof armour and invincibility shields.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

I find the new lads always take their hits because they're afraid of getting given out to.
    It's some of the people who have been there a fair few times that kinda feel they're above most people who don't take their hits.
    Mainly it's people with armor who can't actually feel being hit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

I know saying that I've found new players to be more likely to cheat is a sweeping generalisation, most new players I've played with are perfectly honourable in their play, if they weren't I wouldn't still be playing airsoft today. I suppose, it's just that once a player has become a part of the comunity, a regular face, I think they're less likely to put their reputation on the line over something as small as a short walk to the regen point.

Of course there are genuine times when a bb might hit a piece of equipment or something and a honest player might not feel or hear it. I wouldn't regard that as cheating, I will always give someone the benefit of the doubt before branding them a cheater in my mind. There are other times when you've clearly shot someone, they've visibly flinched, and yet continue to play on undeterred. Also while I might give someone the benefit of the doubt once (maybe even twice) if someone appears to be repeatedly ignoring their hits then I'd be less inclined to think they might not have noticed being shot.

• Advertisement

vtec wrote: »
    THEN the Marshall shot him and he didnt even take that either.

See if i was that marshal i would have kicked him off for that game and the next one. Another repeat like that and i would have had him banned.

Even if the reason was because he was wearing too many clothes thats his problem.
    He has to be able to feel his hits, if he can't he should hear them, if he can't then he should not be on the field.

But for Spetzcong to stop going to HRTA because of cheaters is a joke and an insult to the sport by those who do not deserve to be involved.
    Personally next time i see paul im going to try organise a closed day, not milsim - too many rules and scenarios, but a good, fun day with no ****. I'll even marshal it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement