Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HRTA Airsoft (Archive)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

get off the acu hump ye have...jeasus he is on grass...LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 705 ✭✭✭CTU_Agent

Had a good time on Saturday. It was my first time there. A bit of tweaking and it has the potential to become a great site.

Better signage leading to the venue is required.

Obviously its only a new site so when he gets it all completed with structures it will be cool.

Really think there is a need to marshall it a lot better or people need to take their hits. :mad: really ruins the game.

The day needs a little more structure, as I found a some of the time standing around wondering what to do next a bit of a waste of time....Perhaps if the marshall devises 3/4 missions for the day and then we can build a mission or two before the day ends ourselves.

Everyone looked really well, I was well impressed by some of the gear on display. Nice to see a female interest aswel.

Oh and we really need to build some sort of bridge over that ditch on the left....Man its a killer goin in and out of that...:)

Just my two cents..as a firsttimer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

CTU_Agent wrote: »
    Everyone looked really well, I was well impressed by some of the gear on display. Nice to see a female interest aswel.

Is this true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Is this true?

Having spoken to her I can confirm that it is indeed true. She even posts here as Gizmo (or something to that effect).

Apologies for having forgotten your real name Gizmo.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭H.O.T.A.S.

Boston wrote: »
    Since I saw hotas there, I take it the sat nav co-ordinates are correct. The directions and stuff have been updated on hrta.ie if anyone would like to give better directions, post here, and if anyone has photos of the various turns, please post them here.

Jaysus didn't get a chance to borrow/rob the GPS so spent an hour around Ballyboghil area finding the place. Was close to ringing Paul and asking him to pop smoke so I could find him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Really think there is a need to marshall it a lot better or people need to take their hits. :mad: really ruins the game.

Yeah that was frustrating but also had some claiming hits when they were well out of range as well. The marshalling was quite good especially when Dave the Caterer was out there :)
    The day needs a little more structure, as I found a some of the time standing around wondering what to do next a bit of a waste of time....Perhaps if the marshall devises 3/4 missions for the day and then we can build a mission or two before the day ends ourselves.

I actually enjoyed the pace last Saturday but I am old and unfit and needed plenty of breathers between the games :)

Yeah its dangerous to go to these because you end up going "I've got to get one of those" when you see peoples kit. Its nice to see more women get into the sport, the more the merrier.
    Oh and we really need to build some sort of bridge over that ditch on the left....Man its a killer goin in and out of that...:)

As a fat bastard I second that request, along with a travelator to the bases cause walking to them sucks :)
    Just my two cents..as a firsttimer.

Welcome aboard kiss your free cash goodbye :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Spetzcong

If you have a problem with someone not taking their hits put your gun in the air to display neutrality and call over the marshal, although there was a little bit of non hit taking on Saturday in my experience half the time you think you're hitting someone and they aren't declaring it, you're actually not hitting them at all, either between bbs falling short or missing or hitting the cover they're using, a marshal will always sort this out for you if you call their attention to it, because you're right it does ruin the game when people cheat. I think the key is to have more marshals, they do a great job, especially when you consider that they are players who have given up time when they could be playing to umpire a match or two, but nobody is perfect and marshals can't be everywhere at once.

This is a good idea, it would be nice to have a structured day where one mission followed on from another, like if team A get the objective for the first mission then the second mission involves them defending it, or if they lose then 5 of their players are taken prisoner and the next mission involves them rescuing them or something. It might be difficult to think up a structured plan for the day in advance though because you never really know how many people will be playing until everyone turns up, but I'm sure it would be possible to think out a few scenarios.

QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

people not taken hits was not a serious problem on Saturday. one or two people at most, and after word or two they copped on. New people will always be slower to take hits and its nothing to do with cheating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

people not taken hits was not a serious problem on Saturday. one or two people at most, and after word or two they copped on. New people will always be slower to take hits and its nothing to do with cheating.

What was annoying where they people screaming "take your hits" when bb's were falling 10-15 feet short. If you have a problem, call a warden over. D'ont scream out like a little girl.

krazy_8s wrote: »
    What was annoying where they people screaming "take your hits" when bb's were falling 10-15 feet short. If you have a problem, call a warden over. D'ont scream out like a little girl.

There was one young lad (blonde hair with the ak beta) who was getting a bollixing off someone else about taking hits but the guy wasn't even firing in the right direction, let alone hitting him. If you have a problem with someone call the marshal, end of story, and if you still have a problem with that at the end of a game, ask for a one on one challenge.

• Advertisement

if you still have a problem with that at the end of a game, ask for a one on one challenge.

Yeah the old one on one pistol duel is a great way of sorting things out. It gets the issue resolved then and there, no carrying over animosity into the next game. At the end of the day it's just a game, it is really annoying when people don't take hits, but it's not the end of the world, call a marshal or have a pistol duel and then it's done with and you can enjoy the next game without being all wound up about having a grudge against anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭hoplite

Am I the only person to think that the one on one 'pistol' challenge mechanism may not serve any useful purpose? Its potentially intimidating for new players and it doesnt seem take into account genuine misunderstandings that can happen.

I take my hits. However whats to stop somebody coming up to me after a skirmish and accusing me of not taking hits. In one scenario last Saturday someone was firing at me on full auto in the open but the bb's were dropping off 10 to 15 feet before they reached me. So hypothetically if that person comes up to me after the match and challenges me why should I have to go through the theatrics of a pistol challange? If I refuse I lose face, more worringly if the person that accuses me is a well known player (or a member of a team) then all of a sudden I have the stigma of not taking hits falsely attached to me.

I'd much prefer to have a marshal mediate the situation and if the marshal takes a closer look at both players behaviour in the next game then I'd have no problem because I take my hits. Mistakenly accusing someone of not taking hits is nearly as bad as not taking the hits. Better to use the marshal in-game as a previous poster suggested. Having trial by combat to decide the guilty party while appealing on a visceral level is flawed in my opinion.

It could end up like that episiode of the Simpsons with homer & the dueling glove. Airsoft is supposed to be fun :)

well it wasnt a big problem, but it was a problem. i actually overheard one discussion of 2 or 3 people bragging about it....which is desperately sad, i guess the counterstrike bunny hoppers have made an appearance.

i saw a few definites and the odd definite maybe hit...but then again, i was there for a laugh, so i dont give a flying you know what either way on the day. its kinda obvious when a blast of rounds goes a different direction after hitting soemone! on the other hand i saw people drop out for suspected hits...and when i say suspected, i was beside one guy who was maybe (and i really mean a longshot maybe) hit by a bouncer.. i asked him was he hit, he said he didnt know but it was best to go regen. i think it was the utmost of honourable play. bravo sir.

the issue here is 'the broken window' concept. if you dont fix a broken window you get more of them as people see it as something thats okay to do.

this doesnt really matter when we are playing all relaxed as per saturday but as more teams appear, this will become a serious problem unless people know how to handle it and understand that the concept of cheating in this game will make you a pariah.

Paul was very very clear on saturday, anyone not unloaded and on safe in the safe zone gets the 2 strike policy. we need to do the same for game play. we cant expect armies of marshalls, personally i dont want to pay an extra 10 or 20 euro to fund marshalls, to get people to play fair...and that is what will happen if this keeps happening i fear.

i have no issue helping marshall if i am knocked out of a game with no regen. there are loads of people there who can do the same i suspect.

the good news is 99% of people were as honest as the day is long...it just the odd muppet who is probably responsible for the bulk of them to be honest. i mean, if you dont own up the first game, you are hardly like to discover a religious like 'road to damascus' experience in the following games.

it isnt a big problem, but like the safe zone, we need to be very strict with it. if it becomes part of the fabric of airsoft in ireland it will become like a memory effect, and thats where we need to be.

just my tuppence worth...

I don't see that it is there to answer the question of whether or not you didn't take your hits or whatever, it's not like you lose the duel and therefore you are guilty of not taking hits, or you win therefore you are innocent. I see it as a way of letting player who has an issue with another player duel it out and then not hold a grudge. The last thing we want is someone deciding rightly or wrongly, that such and such a player didn't take their hits so I'm gonna "get him" next round. It doesn't necessarily need to be about taking hits either, maybe someone mouthed off at someone else, or didn't take a bang kill or so on, or fired at someone from a questionable range. I just see it as a bit of a fun way to sort out an issue you might have with someone.

It gives people an opportunity to resolve their differences, of course people could decide to still hold a grudge whether they won or lost the pistol challenge, but then some people just like to be grumpy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Easiest solution I can think of, is "both-players-out-no-questions-or-appeal" (or, well, both-players-to-regen, if regen is on).

The way I see it, although this would very much grate the innocent party, the "cheaters" (not to be taken derogatively) would quickly realise after a fashion that they get penalised just the same for cheating as if they didn't cheat - whereby there's no advantage to be had by cheating.

Moreover, cheaters would likewise quickly realise that they're just as much at risk of being 'cheated on' by the same dynamic, than when they're cheating themselves, i.e. them accusing someone else of not taking hits.

Further to the above, and on the basis that noone cheats and it's just "misperceptions" in the heat of battle, the above proposal would seem equally appropriate for an 'equitable' solving of a difference of opinion between experienced players.

Should make for both sides thinking twice (about checking hit accuracy for the shooter, and acknowledging hits for the target) before a "no hits taking" situation is called.

My €0,02

Spetzcong wrote: »
    I don't see that it is there to answer the question of whether or not you didn't take your hits or whatever, it's not like you lose the duel and therefore you are guilty of not taking hits, or you win therefore you are innocent. I see it as a way of letting player who has an issue with another player duel it out and then not hold a grudge. The last thing we want is someone deciding rightly or wrongly, that such and such a player didn't take their hits so I'm gonna "get him" next round. It doesn't necessarily need to be about taking hits either, maybe someone mouthed off at someone else, or didn't take a bang kill or so on, or fired at someone from a questionable range. I just see it as a bit of a fun way to sort out an issue you might have with someone.

It gives people an opportunity to resolve their differences, of course people could decide to still hold a grudge whether they won or lost the pistol challenge, but then some people just like to be grumpy.

Ideally it would all happen in the spirit you suggest but what about the scenario where a player refuses the challenge. The accuser is still miffed and the other player isnt feeling exactly rosey at being called out. What about the younger players being challenged in this manner?

Good point on bang kills if I would ever be tempted to call somebody out myself it would be after I bang killed someone and they open up at me at point blank range.

ambro25 wrote: »
    Easiest solution I can think of, is "both-players-out-no-questions-or-appeal" (or, well, both-players-to-regen, if regen is on).

The way I see it, although this would very much grate the innocent party, the "cheaters" (not to be taken derogatively) would quickly realise after a fashion that they get penalised just the same for cheating as if they didn't cheat - whereby there's no advantage to be had by cheating.

Moreover, cheaters would likewise quickly realise that they're just as much at risk of being 'cheated on' by the same dynamic, than when they're cheating themselves, i.e. them accusing someone else of not taking hits.

Further to the above, and on the basis that noone cheats and it's just "misperceptions" in the heat of battle, the above proposal would seem equally appropriate for an 'equitable' solving of a difference of opinion between experienced players.

Should make for both sides thinking twice (about checking hit accuracy for the shooter, and acknowledging hits for the target) before a "no hits taking" situation is called.

My €0,02

I think this approach has some merit. Have you seen it used elsewhere?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭Hivemind187

Saturday I found myself belly crawling for a few minutes just out of range of the advancing line. The other two or three lads got bored and decided to double back and regroup and I stood up to join them.

I could hear BB's landing either side of me but I didnt feel any strike me - however I had no way of knowing one way or the other. So, without complaint, I put my FAMAS over my head and marched off to the sidelines to look for Bostons dropped deagle.

The point is, that I had no idea if I was hit or not. I could have easily claimed that I was out of range (as I know a few folks did that day when the positions were reversed) but instead of being a baby I decided it was better to say "I was probably hit" and take it in the interests of enjoying the day.

Its only going to be another ten or fifteen minutes before the next game anyway so who cares?

Well if bb's are landing either side of you then you are in range. If two players are in the open and bb's drop off 10 to 15 feet in front of you then you are probably not in range.

All credit to you for dropping out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭nonex

the simple way to deal with cheaters is get there name or point them out to me, and i will put there name in a cheaters book, and then i can see how many time they get reported to me and with this info i can then pull them up on cheating, it the only fair way i can deal with cheaters and it's the only way i weed them out.
    the missions on the day are simple, when you are taken out dont stand around wondering what to do next get geared up for the next game, that way the game's turn around faster, a lot of players stand around and then when it's time for the next game they only start to get ready and that's what kill's the time, so soon as you are out get ready and start planing for the next game.

• Advertisement

hoplite wrote: »
    I take my hits. However whats to stop somebody coming up to me after a skirmish and accusing me of not taking hits. In one scenario last Saturday someone was firing at me on full auto in the open but the bb's were dropping off 10 to 15 feet before they reached me. So hypothetically if that person comes up to me after the match and challenges me why should I have to go through the theatrics of a pistol challange? If I refuse I lose face, more worringly if the person that accuses me is a well known player (or a member of a team) then all of a sudden I have the stigma of not taking hits falsely attached to me.

If that was Saturday just gone it was me firing at you. I was behind a mound and I caught you out in the open, but alas couldn't hit you. It wasn't a range issue as much as my rifle was massively off to the right at distance. I'd personally be very very slow to accuse anyone of cheating. You make a fair point about the intimidation of challenges, and currently only teams use them.

wrt Bang, if you bang kill someone and he/she turns around and riddles you, call over a Marshall. That person will be out no questions asked.

The simplest way to combat the 'no hitters' is if you see someone on your team not taking a hit, point it out to them, if they still don't take a hit, shoot them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

nonex wrote: »
    the simple way to deal with cheaters is get there name or point them out to me, and i will put there name in a cheaters book, and then i can see how many time they get reported to me and with this info i can then pull them up on cheating, it the only fair way i can deal with cheaters and it's the only way i weed them out.
    the missions on the day are simple, when you are taken out dont stand around wondering what to do next get geared up for the next game, that way the game's turn around faster, a lot of players stand around and then when it's time for the next game they only start to get ready and that's what kill's the time, so soon as you are out get ready and start planing for the next game.

You would want to take down both the suspected cheater and the accuser. That way, if one person is not happy with the way things are going or has a personal grudge you can check back and see its just him thats complaining. Not that there are quite a few complaints. Like most systems it can be abused.

works for me...jeasus, getting a bollicking from da man will work wonders i suspect...and the name in the black book of cheaters...best solution of all IMHO..lets be honest who wants that...??

as for fast turnaround, sorry i am an auld slow git, so it suits me to laze around...and reload and more importantly, sit on my phat arse for a few minutes, but if ye young uns want to run off and play, fire ahead.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭du beton

getting guys names may be a prob for newbies, so what about assiging numbered arm bands.that way for eg if you get a few complaints about num 46 you can keep an extra eye on him/her in the next couple of games.this way you can confirm whether this is a pattern with particular individuals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Was debating this with a few guys up north:

If you bang kill you give them the chance to surrender by saying hit and walking back with marker in the air. BUT, are you or are you not allowed to refuse the bang and attempt to hit em with a quick spin around? I think you are allowed to refuse to stop someont 15ft away trying it but this other guy said you had to take it. Just wanna clear it up.

I reckon if it's point blank then you should have to take it, it's too dangerous to have people opening up at full auto on each other at point blank range, as to the 15 ft rule, well I think people should be given the opportunity to surrender, but if they consider themselves to be at an acceptable range to be shot at then let them at it. I suppose you could argue that the person calling the bang kill obviously doesn't think it's ok to shoot at that range so turning around and shooting them is pretty bad form, but if the rule is that you have to take a bang kill once its called then I can see people calling bang kills from 20 ft and then complaining when people don't take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Howdy. Just like to say that the trip from cork was well worth it. Me and Gav had a fu**ing excellent time. We were a bit wary about heading up after ringing paul cause he was worried that we wouldnt come back becuase the site is in early days but i can definatly say we will. Id come again even if the site was in the state its in now. Smashing stuff (litterally....i ran into a proped wall and had to hold it up :D ) all day!

Cheers to all those who were there!

(my quad muscles are knackered....anyone got some deep heat?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

hoplite wrote:
    ambro25 wrote:

My €0,02
    I think this approach has some merit. Have you seen it used elsewhere?

No, just came up with it after a quick 5 mins contemplation. Mind you, I have a legal mind/training (and am still not too cynical to believe in equitable remedies ;)). I'm quite sure King Solomon lies somewhere in my ancestry :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

Arcto wrote: »
    Howdy. Just like to say that the trip from cork was well worth it. Me and Gav had a fu**ing excellent time. We were a bit wary about heading up after ringing paul cause he was worried that we wouldnt come back becuase the site is in early days but i can definatly say we will. Id come again even if the site was in the state its in now. Smashing stuff (litterally....i ran into a proped wall and had to hold it up :D ) all day!

Cheers to all those who were there!

(my quad muscles are knackered....anyone got some deep heat?)

Glad you enjoyed it. I have to say I enjoyed it too even with all my guns crapping out on me. There's a lot more options during a game at the new site and that lane is a killzone :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Gizmodeon

Apologies for having forgotten your real name Gizmo.
    No problemo, I kinda forgot yours too :rolleyes:
    its Mariel

Big thanks to all the guys who didn't single me out and make jokes
    Its a tad intimidating to join when I'm the only girl, but everyone made me feel equal :D
    (sorry about the cheese:p)

I think the book is a good idea, so if there are repeat offenders then Paul can have a word with them, and we'll know by their second report that they are up to something. Otherwise one warning could happen by mistake of judgement.
    But we do need arm bands to distiguish teams (or else some poor misguided person, not naming names might shoot their own team members again):o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement