Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are you allowed hold 2 insurance policies?

Options
  • 21-02-2007 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭

I think the answer's no but couldn't find any info. Anyone know the facts?

Comments

Yes!
    But you can only use your no claims on one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

frobisher wrote:
    Are you allowed hold 2 insurance policies?
    Yes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

ronoc wrote:
    Yes!
    A second or subsequent policy will each build up its own NCB. An incident affecting one policy should not affect the other NCBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

frobisher wrote:
    I think the answer's no but couldn't find any info. Anyone know the facts?

Do you mean on the same vehicle? Well, yes you can hold them, but they won't all pay out. Once of the principles of insurance is that you can't be better off after a claim - say after someone torched your car, and you claimed on both of your fire policies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

It is possible to have third party with one insurance company and fire and theft with another.It is sometimes cheaper to do this. If you have two policies covering the same risks on one car the insurers would each contribute half to any claim. A bit pointless really to pay two premia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

you can have insurance on a car and a van two different policys

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

ronoc wrote:
    Yes!

Categorically incorrect. NCB is attached to the policy - not the policyholder. Two policies = two NCB's. I had 2, and my wife currently has 2, with full NCB's on both.

As a measure, if it were the other way round, i.e. the NCB is attached to the driver, then you could use it every time. That you can't is evidence that it is policy-linked.

This is true for the companies we use : Hibernian and FBD. All others.......who knows?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    Categorically incorrect. NCB is attached to the policy - not the policyholder. Two policies = two NCB's. I had 2, and my wife currently has 2, with full NCB's on both.

As a measure, if it were the other way round, i.e. the NCB is attached to the driver, then you could use it every time. That you can't is evidence that it is policy-linked.

This is true for the companies we use : Hibernian and FBD. All others.......who knows?

Yes but a new second policy, like the OP asked about, will not have a no claims bonus to start with and he can only use his existing bonus on one of them.

Categorically correct :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

Hey,

sorry to bump this back up, but better than starting a new one altogether!

So if i have two cars, both registered to me, i can have a policy in my own name on each one, but my existing no claims bonus only on one?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭xt40

I got a van and used my full car ncb on it. when i later needed a car as well i was given an intro 2 year bonus by royal s.a.. (which i think is standard practice) on the second policy. i now have 2 full bonuses. As i no longer need the van the second ncb will be getting used for something exotic as soon as funds allow.
    although the ncb is linked to the policy as mentioned, if you have any claim at all, you are still kinda screwed as no other insurence comps will look at you if you the driver have claimed within 5 years regardless of how many ncb's you have. the ins co's make up the rules to suit themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Said this in another thread about having two policies. If you have a full ncb with one insurance company sometimes they will give you what is called an "intro bonus" on the other policy. It's usually two years.

But you cannot have two policies on the same car. You'd be dually insured and insurance companies try everything they can to get out of paying a claim if you're dually insured!

Advertisement