Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Wireless Broadband

Options
  • 21-02-2007 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi All I am with NTL and currently have the net in my room only on my pc (signal comes in where my ntl box comes from) the other house mates want to have access too i know i need a wireless router etc but im not that good at computers at all does anyone know a company or person that does this and roughly how much is it basically the 4 people want to all be able to use it anywhere in the hosue without wires, any help greatly appreciated ! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

If you are looking for a company or person to do taht maybe you should tell us what area you are based it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Ginger

Buy a standard wireless router from the likes of DLink, LinkSys, Netgear or Belkin.

You can get these in Argos for about 50->60E. You dont need a modem router just a router.

Once you get it home, follow the instructions and you will be fine. They are designed for people who dont know a lot about computers.

If you dont have wireless cards, it might be an idea to buy all the same brand as the router. Its not required but will ensure taht everything works in the same way. Will take about 30 mins to get you all up and going

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

make sure you get a router only, and not a router modem or ADSL router. The router must have an ethernet rj45 WAN port, probably 4 ethernet rj45 LAN Ports ( home network conenctions ) and an antennae for wireless clients.

Also, check if its Wireless-B ( 11mbps ) Wireless-G (54mbps) or Wireless-G+ (112mbps). Best bang for buck would really be the Wireless-G range along with Wireless-G wireless Cards for your computers ( Get either PCI or USB for Desktops and either USB or PCMCIA for laptops )

Advertisement