Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick bowling survey

Options
  • 21-02-2007 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick survey to get to know the forum users a bit better. Anyone can post, feel free :)

So have you ever bowled, ever had lessons, bowled in leagues, competitions, just for fun with friends?

Also, do you know how the scoring system works?

What do you think of Bowling? Enjoyable? Is there enough information about how to bowl in bowling alleys?

Feel free to rant/rave and praise here...but bear the charter in mind. No trolling or insulting please ;) The poll is multiple choice :)

Quick survey, choose all that apply 57 votes

I have never bowled
    0% 0 votes
    I only bowl for fun
    0% 0 votes
    I've had lessons/coaching
    17% 10 votes
    Never had lessons but I'd like to improve
    12% 7 votes
    I've bowled in leagues
    10% 6 votes
    I've bowled in torunaments
    17% 10 votes
    I know how the scoring system works
    10% 6 votes
    I haven't a clue how the scoring works
    26% 15 votes
    I think I know how the scoring system works
    3% 2 votes
    Never had lessons but I'm great anyway
    1% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

I'm just a casual bowler. Would like to improve but don't think I'll be entering any leagues anytime soon. No idea on what my average is (quite erratic with scoring).

my two major problems would be money & time. Time because I'd usually go with my gf, she doesn't get home until late plus I don't have a car (which also means hauling a ball around public transport & walking) leaving the weekend as the only free time. Note to self - do not go to a bowling alley at weekends :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I was always a casual once-a-year type bowler until I was about 17 or so.

Then I discovered that at that time a one hour lesson was cheaper than a one hour game :D Such a cheapskate :rolleyes:

Anyway, I found I really liked it, got better, entered beginner leagues and went from there.

I was only bowling about a month when I realied how technical the game actually is :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

never played in a league or tournament before, but i'll be moving to dublin from april to august so I'll give tournaments a shot ;)

Senritsu wrote:
    never played in a league or tournament before, but i'll be moving to dublin from april to august so I'll give tournaments a shot ;)

See here for a calendar of events ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Hey r3, you left out the "I never had lessons, but I was brilliant anyway" option. :D

And how many people can actually say they really know how the scoring system works. After all, most of the lanes have computers to do it all for you.

"Okay, so when you strike you take that score and add the value of the next two balls to that frame ... gottit?"
    "Yeah ... right ... if I get a strike ... it's worth twenty"

*sigh*

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

DubTony wrote:
    And how many people can actually say they really know how the scoring system works. After all, most of the lanes have computers to do it all for you.

"Okay, so when you strike you take that score and add the value of the next two balls to that frame ... gottit?"
    "Yeah ... right ... if I get a strike ... it's worth twenty"

Actually, can I change my "I know how the scoring system works" poll answer, lol

Dub Tony, I've edited the poll just for you :D

So Sparks400 what's changed? ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

r3nu4l wrote:

I had a simplistic view of how the scoring worked. It was only when I read Tony's post I remembered the points aren't tallied linearly. It's been a while since I went bowling, I'll be heading back soon hopefully

I'll have to go and check how the points are totaled

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

r3nu4l wrote:
    Dub Tony, I've edited the poll just for you :D

Thanks, but it's too late, I already voted. :mad:

Advertisement