Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Vista - Known Issues and Resolutions.

• 21-02-2007 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Just an Idea, Can you post any Bugs and Fixes into this thread for easy Access??

Forum MODs can we make this a sticky??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

One 'feature' is that you can't cleanly uninstall Network Adapters. If you go to Device Mangler and uninstall a network adapter, it immediately re-installs!

I would have this was a bug there's no acknowledgement of this new behaviour. I can only guess that it's a feature because it only occurs with Network Adapters.

It seems the only way to prevent immediate re-install is to tick the box that says to delete the binary (driver) files when uninstalling.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭McAlban

Are you uninstalling it? or Disabling it?

I find Disabling Network adapters Works fine. I use a Netgear WPN Wireless, and Disable the Integrated LAN Card and Blutooth Network adapter. (Yes the "A Network Cable is Unplugged" message wrecks my head too!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Uninstalling auto re-installs the driver for the NIC hardware if present haven't quite figured out how to stop that yet either though I would assume the system has been altered to make a driver uninstall redundant in this area you just remove the hardware and Vista wont load the driver in future.

One definite bug that is not on Windows Update is if you have an NVIDIA motherboard with 2GB of RAM or more and your USB devices are acting odd like not working, high CPU usage even though the USB mouse/keyboard is working.

Fix is at this link. {Only install if you have 2GB+ RAM & an NVIDIA motherboard with NV USB controllers being used}

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Uninstalling. No problem with disabling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Dont know if i should point this out, but i installed a "Virtual Drive" through Alcohol 120% with Vista and could not boot this morning. Had to remove the software through safe mode.

Then everything, hopefully was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

I've never been a fan of Alcohol's virtual drive... If you're desperate to use the program, it might be worth running it directly after installing (don't reboot the pc) and then setting the number of virtual drives to 0

I've installed Daemon tools just now and it's working perfectly, so you could use that as a free alternative...

Hmm, think i have used it before. Not on vista though. This thing is driving me mad!! CSS runs choppy on it with 20+ players. The FPS doesnt seem to be taking a hit though. Still no change with forced DirectX8! Strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

What graphics card and drivers are you using? I had awful performance under the previous version of nVidia's Vista drivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My Evaluation install of Ultimate is stuck on 30 days for the last 2 weeks??:confused:;):p:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

Anyone know how to increase concurrent TCP connection attemps for windows vista. Is there a patch out for it or what?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I take it you mean Internet Explorer, and it's a hack not a patch as 10 connections to a site is not part of the standard.

The tweak for IE on other versions of windows is here -
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282402
    To comply with current Internet standards (Request for Comments 2068), Internet Explorer limits the number of simultaneous downloads to two downloads, plus one queued download
    This procedure is for informational purposes only. Changing the maximum number of connections beyond two is a violation of Internet standards; Microsoft does not recommend this procedure for use outside closed networks.
    http://www.rfc.org.uk/cgi-bin/lookup.cgi?rfc=rfc2068

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

One 'feature' is that you can't cleanly uninstall Network Adapters. If you go to Device Mangler and uninstall a network adapter, it immediately re-installs!

I would have this was a bug there's no acknowledgement of this new behaviour. I can only guess that it's a feature because it only occurs with Network Adapters.

It seems the only way to prevent immediate re-install is to tick the box that says to delete the binary (driver) files when uninstalling.

good one :D

another vista tweak is to disable hybrid sleep, i clocked hybrid at 90watts on my x6800, when s3 uses 6w (half the power of a cfl), and both are nearly instant to wake from

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Anyone manage to find a codec pack that works on vista? vlc and wmp wont play my .avi files with video.. just sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Anyone manage to find a codec pack that works on vista? vlc and wmp wont play my .avi files with video.. just sound.
    I haven't gotten around to trying this out yet, but I'll give it a whirl now...
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055053894

/edit
    Installed the latest nightly build of that and the most recent version of media player classic and it's playing anything that I throw at it perfectly:)
    cheers 8T8

Thanks

Stephen wrote:
    What graphics card and drivers are you using? I had awful performance under the previous version of nVidia's Vista drivers.

ATI Radeon X800! Need a new one.

Has anyone managed to take an image of Vista and reimage it successfully?

Anyone know if Norton Internet Security 2006 will run on Vista ?

hellboy99 wrote:
    Anyone know if Norton Internet Security 2006 will run on Vista ?

:D

well it was terribal on xp so hopefully it doesn't let you install it

• Advertisement

irish1 wrote:

nope, winboot.exe goes missing, it must have to be at a certain sector on the drive

Well I have imaged it using acronis and I got the boot error message but if you repair the install using the Vista dvd it will repair the problem and let you boot. I have read that Ghost will work if you use the switch -fdsp, has anyone tried this?

Have a new issue with vista (home premium)

Cant seem to find drivers for my usb connected ZyXel Prestige 623R-T.
    The website is about as useful as my left testicle is at english liturature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

for Vista codecs have a look at these ones http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Vista_Codec_Package/1159994557/1
    all good reviews from what i can see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

I have Vista ultimate edition. The problem is i'm not getting the option to use the max resolution of 1600x1200 with my Dell widescreen monitor. i got the latest vista driver for my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro but i still only get the option to use 1024x768. Any ideas guys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

mickger wrote:
    I have Vista ultimate edition. The problem is i'm not getting the option to use the max resolution of 1600x1200 with my Dell widescreen monitor. i got the latest vista driver for my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro but i still only get the option to use 1024x768. Any ideas guys?

mick, i hv the home premium. so far no problem, detects my Dell 2005FPW as a generic PNP monitor. i use the latest Catalyst driver and no issue getting a resolution 1680 x 1050 on ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. maybe it's ur monitor settings?

Mart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

mart_max wrote:
    mick, i hv the home premium. so far no problem, detects my Dell 2005FPW as a generic PNP monitor. i use the latest Catalyst driver and no issue getting a resolution 1680 x 1050 on ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. maybe it's ur monitor settings?

Mart

Ill check the monitor settings and see.

Have a new issue with vista (home premium)

Cant seem to find drivers for my usb connected ZyXel Prestige 623R-T.
    The website is about as useful as my left testicle is at english liturature.
    don't think there are/will be any, contacted ZyXel a while back about a driver for the Prestige 630 USB, got a reply saying that they weren't going to issue one.

irish1 wrote:
    I use the DOS-based GHOST.EXE from Ghost 2003 to do all my imaging and it restores a Vista install with no problems. I just boot DOS 7.1 from a USB stick or CD and run GHOST.EXE from there.

Is it normal for Vista to be so slow at booting? XP takes 32 seconds from POST to the last icon loading in the tray. For Vista it's 1m32s even with the sidebar off! My laptop's got 1.5GB RAM so that's not the issue. If this is normal and if I were gonna use it long term I'd be hibernating my laptop rather than shutting it down.

• Advertisement

Tivoli wrote:
    :D

well it was terribal on xp so hopefully it doesn't let you install it
    I think Symantec released a patch for the 2006 releases. But why you'd wanna use them is beyond me, lol.

Advertisement