Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

92,000 Miles on 1999 peugout 206- good or bad....

Options
  • 21-02-2007 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭

I'm looking at a peugout 206 1999 with 92,000 miles, its my first car and to be honest I haven't a clue what to look out for..but the milage does seem pretty high?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Generally the average mileage per year is 12,000
    so 12 X 8 = 96,000 so it would be right!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

G86 wrote:
    to be honest I haven't a clue what to look out for..
    some sort of service history?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,660 ✭✭✭G86

hey again :) cheers, i've got my credit rating sorted..turns out its fine!! So hoping to get this car...its from a garage so i figure that means theres less chance of problems? i hope!

I just need it to take me up and down to donegal a few times a month!!

service history as in the logbook?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

I want to be sure that it has a full service history ( a record of all the services done on the car and what exactly was done) this can be recorded in the service books of the car or you can check with the garage that serviced the car
    if it has a service history and you have had it checked out then I wouldnt be too worried about the mileage

• Advertisement

ok cheers. i havent gone to look at it yet, I've been told I should someone who knows a bit about cars to check it out, but I dont really know anyone who knws that much about them. You reckon I'll be grand on my own?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Generally 92,000 miles on an 8 year old car is average enough.

The thing is to know though is now how far the car was driven but how the car was driven. While an 8 year old car may not have a full service history at this stage it should at least have some sort of history of servicing or receipts for any repair work done over the years. Also look for NCT reports to check failures that were fixed. If you can get hold of the previous owner's name or the garage that serviced the car you should give them a call to verify the mileage.

Since you are buying from a garage what sort of warranty/guarantee are they offering? My guess would be 3 months with an 8 year old car, try and get them to stretch it a little as part of the deal just for the peace of mind.

If you know nothing about cars then my advice is to get a mechanic to check the car out before buying it. Usually a family member or friend can recommend a back street mechanic to give the car a look over. Should not cost you more than €80 - €100 for his time.

If you don't have anyone then check these guys out they are supposed to be good: http://www.carcheck.ie/about.php

thanks a mil, the car costs 3950 Euro...which seems to be pretty average?

G86 wrote:
    thanks a mil, the car costs 3950 Euro...which seems to be pretty average?

Is that the asking price?

yes, I've looked at a few online and they are all around 4- 5 grand so it seems ok to me, what do you think?

• Advertisement

If you have no car to trade in against it then you should be able to get a cash discount on that price. Start off by offering €3,500 for it, you should not pay more than €3,650 imo for it once it has been given the ok by a mechanic.

Really? i thought I might end up having to pay more than that. It says nct jan 2007..so im presuming that means its been nct'd then and not that the nct was fin in jan?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

G86 wrote:
    Really? i thought I might end up having to pay more than that. It says nct jan 2007..so im presuming that means its been nct'd then and not that the nct was fin in jan?!!!
    NCT 01/07 means it was out in January. Perhaps the garage made a mistake? By the way, i'll second what the other posters were saying about service history. No way would I buy an 8 year old car without a full, verified (call the garages who serviced the car) service history.

Not sure about the NCT, you will need to ask the garage about that.

Regarding the price well the price you pay really depends on how good at haggling you are, never pay the asking or sticker price. I'm afraid it is not an exact science. If they will not budge on the price then either be happy to pay it or walk out the door and find another car.

I Think im sorted, rang carcheck there and theyr brill.. they practically do everything, they even tell the salesman what they think should be paid for the car,cool :)

G86 wrote:
    I Think im sorted, rang carcheck there and theyr brill.. they practically do everything, they even tell the salesman what they think should be paid for the car,cool :)
    I hate to have to say this, but the salesman couldn't care less what carcheck tells him - he's in the business of selling the car for the highest price the market will bear.:) Did you check the service history?

What i meant is they haggle the price for you and tell you what its worth. They also check basically everything,service history etc. Which is something I really need!

I just had a look at the carcheck website, they do check the vehicle history but there's no mention of the service history. Out of interest, how much do they charge?

Anan1 wrote:
    I just had a look at the carcheck website, they do check the vehicle history but there's no mention of the service history. Out of interest, how much do they charge?

Website says €150.

Yes but I rang them to check. And they do check the service history, along with everything else for 150 Euro. I think its a great service and to be honest I don't have any other options to make sure I don't get screwed over!

• Advertisement

G86 wrote:
    Yes but I rang them to check. And they do check the service history, along with everything else for 150 Euro. I think its a great service and to be honest I don't have any other options to make sure I don't get screwed over!
    In fairness, €150 isn't bad at all - the AA charge over twice as much. Have they looked at the car yet? If so, what did they say?

No..its friggin gone now :( But I'm still lookin and defo gna use them whenever I find one!!

I'm not too annoyed because I wont be gettin my insurance until april cz it cheaper when Im 21, but it would be nice to get a car sorted in advance.

ah well....gna keep lookin.....

Advertisement