Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Howto become an Animal Caretaker, guide in a park or zoo in africa, us or Asia

Options
  • 21-02-2007 3:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭

Howto become an Animal Caretaker, guide in a park or zoo in africa, us or Asia

I've always wanted to become a guide or animal caretaker, particularly in some exotic location, asia or africa, maybe even the us. Location doesn't really matter but how can I get into this occupation?

Any ideas where to start and how to get there?
    I have some cash to finance me for a couple of years so voluntary apprentiship is an option!!

I have a couple of degrees but they're Engineering so not really relevant, I also have a partime backround with animals from a farming side of things, so I'm not afraid of large animals.

Not sure if this is the right location, I may have to cross post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

You may have to study zoology. Try UCD. Even just ring them or the zoo to get some advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

From what I saw of a year in Africa it seemed that dedicated schools for guides were the place to go, and they pretty much had the deal sown up as regards getting you a job and having contacts in the business.
    Anyone I talked to that had been through them was pretty pissed off with them. One lad I knew was even made to buy a Leatherman to carry on his hip so he would 'look the part'.
    YMMV though.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

No I've no plans on returning to college! 6 years was enough. I'd like to get my hands dirty and get straight into it more like an apprentice, I don;t want awards of any kind.
    I did find one site which looks for volunteers to pay about 1000euro for 4 weeks and you have to provide for yourself also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Check those sites again and see what others you can find then. I am sure there is information out there that will help. Keep in mind the checking out of sources here too for advice. UCG is another one that has a Zoology department.

I did find one site which looks for volunteers to pay about 1000euro for 4 weeks and you have to provide for yourself also.

Is there some sort of qualification you get at the end where you can work in the field? can you post or pm a link

• Advertisement
Advertisement