Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poets for june!

Options
  • 21-02-2007 5:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

Hey just wondering what poets do people think r coming up in june. confused on what ones to study any help would be appreciated! Thanks! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

Montague is the hot favourite since its his last year on the course and he hasn't come up yet. Though I'm hoping for Yeats, Kavanagh and Plath since they're the only ones my class has actually covered so far :eek:
    Though that being said, the other 4 poets don't interest me that much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Haven't a Clue

There's no real kinda way of predicting what's going to come up. Personally, I hope Bishop and Yeats come up. Wouldn't be the end of the world if Kavanagh came up either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Steve01 wrote:
    Montague is the hot favourite since its his last year on the course and he hasn't come up yet.
    I'm pretty sure Montague is on for 2008. That or my English class REALLY wasted our time learning him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Steve01 wrote:
    Montague is the hot favourite since its his last year on the course and he hasn't come up yet. Though I'm hoping for Yeats, Kavanagh and Plath since they're the only ones my class has actually covered so far :eek:
    Though that being said, the other 4 poets don't interest me that much

I thought the reason Montague is the hot favourite to come up this year is because this is his first year on the course?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭md99

ZorbaTehZ wrote:
    I thought the reason Montague is the hot favourite to come up this year is because this is his first year on the course?

nope.

• Advertisement

in response to the OP...

you could get around this totally by doing Bishop AND Plath, no? I keep being told a female poet has to come up... ? Doesn't matter to me though coz I'm not doing either!

I'd love Yeats or Montague, Montague is more tipped and so is Eliot for some reason.

Kavanagh is less likely as he's come up more recently than the others, as has Bishop though they've thrown her at us two years in a row before!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Im going to cover 4 poets indepthly and 2 others briefly..

Go over all the Irish poets, an irish poet is bound to come up ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

The institute are tipping Kavanagh and Plath, but that does make sense. It's Kavanagh's anniversary, and there IS always a woman poet. Bishop came up last year, which seriously lessens her chances, and I know she came up before twice in a row, but that only serves to further lessen her chances this year..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭geminilady

Thanks so much every1. You're all just great (:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭Seinas

md99 wrote:
    nope.

and i thought Montague is hot favourite to come up because its his first year on the course......

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

I find Montague the best of a bad lot LOL.
    Hope he comes up in june:)
    Plath just annoys me:mad:

Naikon wrote:
    I find Montague the best of a bad lot LOL.
    Hope he comes up in june:)
    Plath just annoys me:mad:

You're not the only one... Montague is very popular!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

Didn't think he would be.
    Although his work isn't as revered as Plath's, I find his poems like "Killing the pig" and "the wild dog rose" kinda memorable........strangely.
    I am not the greatest poetry person but I try my best LOL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Since the new Leaving Cert English syllabus was introduced, there has always been a woman and an Irish person on. I'd tip Montague and Plath.

Montague and plath are the most highly tipped, and isn't Yeats more likely than Kavanagh, since Kavanagh came up two years ago? Even though it's his anniversary..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭the-furbo

Kavanagh and his bicycles going by in two's and three's would want to come up or i am officially screwed!

Advertisement