Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LCD and Cable NTL

Options
  • 21-02-2007 5:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Someone just told me at the weekend that Im wasting my time gettting a 37" LCD with my NTL cable, he said the picture quality is terrible and that I would have to get NTL or Sky digital?

My knowledge of Tvs is abmismal but is this the case? Can I do anything to make the picture better?

I still havent forked out for the Tv yet so I dont want to waste my money if the picture will be bad, I know you need some special HD channels to get the most from the HD Tvs but surely the Tv would still at least be better than my regular Tv.

Normally I wouldn't take his word for it but he seemed to know alot about Tvs, Hope this makes some sort of sense.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

in a word - yes, he is right. Almost all lcd's struggle with poor analogue content and the bigger the screen the more obvious this will be (depending on how far back you sit). You'll be genuinely amazed at how poor quality your cable is when you finally get to see it at that level of detail :D

BTW, NTL digital looks gorgeous (and its definitely improved since I got it in last year - anyone else notice that?). At least it does for me on my 32" Tosh LCD, in phibsboro. People have gasped when they see it. I am comtemplating Sky HD but having seen it on a nice Sharp in a mates house, I'm not sure the basic Sky channels are actually as good as the NTL digital ones (and there are only a few HD channels tho they do look really suberb).

c

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks Phibsboro

I was hoping he was wrong :/ might look into NTL digital so..

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

I reckon ntl digital's picture quality is much better than sky digitals for the basic channels ... for some reason most of the channels on sky are very 'blocky' or pixelated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭big_moe

yeah skys "major" channels look great but all the others look crap for some reason... and yes, i second the recommendation of having AT LEAST ntl digital on an HDTV, especially lcd, not so bad on plasma (well, depends on the plasma...)

sky hd is amazing but its crazily expensive for all of 5 HD channels..

moe

Advertisement