Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any good Freelance websites for web design?

Options
  • 21-02-2007 5:30pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭

Does anyone know of any good freelance sites for web design? There are loads of american ones but i was looking for something a bit more closer to home as you come into problems with time difference and language barriers

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Try http://www.freelanceireland.ie/ tho I don't know if much activity on there or not.
    You could post a query here, lots of freelancers roaming around these boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

yeah cause americans dont speak english,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

the Guru wrote:
    In fairness, there are too many incorrect uses of the english language in that sentence for your point to be taken seriously... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Are you looking for freelance work or looking to hire someone? I read your post a few times and still can't work out which it is! :D So...

Looking for freelance work: Best put up a portfolio site with your skill set and examples of work, and add it to your sig here. Also, do the same on www.irishwebmasterforum.com. www.freelanceireland.ie is very quite these days afaik, but there is no harm in being in their directory. I found 1 or 2 freelancers that way that I still work with today. www.creativeireland.com is another but I haven't used it much myself so can't comment really. I got an email in from a guy today asking if I had any freelance work and welcomed me to view his website. I liked his site and portfolio so gave him a shout back. The likes of that email I don't regard as spam (but others may disagree).

Looking to hire a freelancer: www.freelanceireland.ie has a big list of freelancers in Ireland. Not sure how up to date it is but you should get links to their portfolio sites and you can contact them from there. Once again, www.creativeireland.com is another good one. Another option is to set up a design contest on sitepoint... www.sitepoint.com/contests/

Hope this helps, which ever you are looking for! :D

Rgds,

Dave

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 92 ✭✭alanjgrace

the Guru wrote:

Obviously you have never used one of those sites as you would know at least half the people on it dont speak english and are usually Indian or Asian so you do run into language problems..and you call yourself the guru..lol

• Advertisement

DJB wrote:
    Are you looking for freelance work or looking to hire someone? I read your post a few times and still can't work out which it is! :D So...

Looking for freelance work: Best put up a portfolio site with your skill set and examples of work, and add it to your sig here. Also, do the same on www.irishwebmasterforum.com. www.freelanceireland.ie is very quite these days afaik, but there is no harm in being in their directory. I found 1 or 2 freelancers that way that I still work with today. www.creativeireland.com is another but I haven't used it much myself so can't comment really. I got an email in from a guy today asking if I had any freelance work and welcomed me to view his website. I liked his site and portfolio so gave him a shout back. The likes of that email I don't regard as spam (but others may disagree).

Looking to hire a freelancer: www.freelanceireland.ie has a big list of freelancers in Ireland. Not sure how up to date it is but you should get links to their portfolio sites and you can contact them from there. Once again, www.creativeireland.com is another good one. Another option is to set up a design contest on sitepoint... www.sitepoint.com/contests/

Hope this helps, which ever you are looking for! :D

Rgds,

Dave

Just to clarify im not looking for a freelancer, looking for places where jobs are posted although i sometimes do need freelancers too so both are apreciated. Thanks

Mirror wrote:
    In fairness, there are too many incorrect uses of the english language in that sentence for your point to be taken seriously... :rolleyes:

And the English language militants strike again, it’s ridiculous for the OP to assume that he can’t get design work done in the states, time difference could be a factor but to pull the “language barrier” card is absurd, who the hell did he speak to ….. Most people in this county speak English, I live here I know! My only language is English and I have no issues communicating with anyone I meet. Spelling their words is another matter but that’s learning curve and im working on it.

OP if you want a cheap website done from an American Company that can speak English or even Irish, that will allow you access to a development server to view the work as its done, PM me and I will put in contact with partner companies. Remember OP your buying a website not a car you don’t have to drive it first, tell the design team what you want and they will give it to you, when you wake up in the morning you can see the work done from the day before.

There’s a 5 hours difference from the east coast which means you have until 11pm your time to speak to people here, in our case designer and Dev’s don’t finish until approx 9pm. Time difference and communication are not a problem – infact, I would entirely agree if you had mentioned India but again they have trained English speakers to take your queries. You will also save money buying your site here as the $ is so weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

the Guru wrote:
    And the English language militants strike again, it’s ridiculous for the OP to assume that he can’t get design work done in the states, time difference could be a factor but to pull the “language barrier” card is absurd, who the hell did he speak to ….. Most people in this county speak English, I live here I know! My only language is English and I have no issues communicating with anyone I meet. Spelling their words is another matter but that’s learning curve and im working on it.

OP if you want a cheap website done from an American Company that can speak English or even Irish, that will allow you access to a development server to view the work as its done, PM me and I will put in contact with partner companies. Remember OP your buying a website not a car you don’t have to drive it first, tell the design team what you want and they will give it to you, when you wake up in the morning you can see the work done from the day before.

There’s a 5 hours difference from the east coast which means you have until 11pm your time to speak to people here, in our case designer and Dev’s don’t finish until approx 9pm. Time difference and communication are not a problem – infact, I would entirely agree if you had mentioned India but again they have trained English speakers to take your queries. You will also save money buying your site here as the $ is so weak.
    I think your missing the OP's point the Guru, what I believe he's trying to say is that the US based websites, because they are more active, pick up a lot of non-English speaking users, not necessarily from the US. He's not trying to say Americans cannot speak english...

This is halarious - Getting worked up over such a small thing!

By way guru, any Bungee jumping events coming close to kerry in the near future? Gotta do that again sometime!

Mirror wrote:
    I think your missing the OP's point the Guru, what I believe he's trying to say is that the US based websites, because they are more active, pick up a lot of non-English speaking users, not necessarily from the US. He's not trying to say Americans cannot speak english...

Exactly mirror, i was referring to the fact that the popular american based freelance sites contain a lot of users from outside the US who will do the work cheaper but wouldnt have great english.
    I never suggested Americans cant speak english so i think you need to get off your high horse there guru and let the thread return to what it was about, freelance websites not the english language.

• Advertisement

alanjgrace wrote:
    Exactly mirror, i was referring to the fact that the popular american based freelance sites contain a lot of users from outside the US who will do the work cheaper but wouldnt have great english.
    I never suggested Americans cant speak english so i think you need to get off your high horse there guru and let the thread return to what it was about, freelance websites not the english language.

No high horse here my friend, try http://www.vendorseek.com/website_design_services.asp they will put your project out to bid you will get designers fighting for your business.

Webmonkey - I dont own the company anymore but I assume the guys are down in sneem this July

Cheers. Sorry for going Offtopic.

Advertisement