Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attic Insulation and Flooring:

Options
  • 21-02-2007 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

We live in a 3 bed semi, circa 1950.

I want to replace the insulation in the attic and then floor it with 25mm ply.

I've read that 30cm of insulation is recommended.

My question is this: if I lay 30cm of insulation between the joists and then lay the ply, will the the ply, pressing down on the insulation, put pressure on the ceiling?

Secondly, is ply an OK flooring? My intention would be to lay a proper floor on top of it at a later stage.

Many thanks.

D.

ps. This site is woefully slow. The Search feature isn't working and I can't access my PMs.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭renedescartes

Hi Dinarius,
    Fibre glass works by trapping air, its the air that is the insulation factor. If you compress it you are loosing the effect and of course wasting your money. You should look for a material that has a better factor. There are foils available that give the equivalent to inches of fibre glass. If you search for superR. You should consider foil in any case.
    Michael

Advertisement