Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do I go with an idea for a comic?

Options
  • 21-02-2007 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭

I have an idea for a comic, but I'm not really good at sequential art. Are there any Ireland/UK based publishing companies out there that are looking for submissions based on writing and character art? What's the best way to find an artist and inker? I can do colouring myself.

I'm also looking to write for a childrens books/comics, which I can draw myself. Where would I go with that? They'd be orientated towards younger children but a lot more "intelligent" than Ladybird kind of things.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hmmm. In Ireland there's not a great deal going as regards publishers looking for submissions. You could try Wolfman Productions (bearing in mind that last I heard, they were still not in a position to pay people for their work - admittedly this was a while ago) or perhaps chat to the folks who post in the Comic Creation thread.

Another option to consider, depending on what exactly you want to do with the project, would be to find yourself an artist to work with and develop it as a webcomic - there are plenty of sites that offer free hosting, or you could spend a bit of cash and set up your own site. (This means more freedom to set up the site as you want without having to run ads, but does involve spending money and a bit more involvement on the website administration side of things).

As for children's books, the only Irish company I know of doing illustrated kid's books is O'Brien - they published Bob Byrne's "Robots Don't Cry".

When it comes to the UK, it's a different ballgame. Other folks might be able to point out possible publishers, but the big name to aim for would be 2000Ad. Not sure what their submissions guidelines are - check their site for more info. You could also check out Red Eye for more info on smaller publishers...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Rozie wrote:
    I have an idea for a comic, but I'm not really good at sequential art. Are there any Ireland/UK based publishing companies out there that are looking for submissions based on writing and character art? What's the best way to find an artist and inker? I can do colouring myself.

I'm also looking to write for a childrens books/comics, which I can draw myself. Where would I go with that? They'd be orientated towards younger children but a lot more "intelligent" than Ladybird kind of things.

ok second part first - if your looking to illustrate childrens books then look into joining the illustrators guild of ireland either as full memeber or as an assoicate memeber. The memebers website and mailing list has alot of useful information about various publishers in ireland and their page rates and submission policies. You'll also hear from other memebers on their expirences with the various publishers.

Alot of the irish publishing houses are not great when it comes to illustration work - normally I'd tell people not to sign a contract they are not happy with and ask for chanages regarding work for hire and page rates etc etc and outisde of ireland most publishers would have no issue with that - but here i've found they have a set contract and they will not chanage it. One crowd, who have the same name as an irish sandwhich shop, are infamous for their crap contracts.

Part one, there aren't really any publishers who print comics - most of the irish stuff you see around has been produce as small press and through alot of blood, sweat and tears. If your looking for someone to pencil/ink pages stick a note up in the sticky thread at the top this forum with maybe some style samples/suggestions so people have an idea what type of penciler/inker you are looking for. When/if you get someone make sure to make it clear from the start wither they are doing work for hire or are getting a precentage of the book.

When it comes to publishing said comic, you will more then likely go down the small press route to start - you can mini-comic/zine it to start or use comic publishers like comixpress who are very cheap but very very slow or lulu not so cheap but quicker. Be ready to put in alot of work both in getting the book together and getting it out there - hitting local stores as well comic cons and other small press mets. It is far better to hand an editor a self-published comic [with clear CONTACT INFO] and let them go away and read it then trying to shove a portfilio in their face with a few ideas for a book - most will be nice and ask for card with your details and walk off, some will be dicks and tell you to get lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

check this earlier thread for a rant about working cons - to wrecked to type it all out again -Pints were a euro in the pub last night - ive killed my liver!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

ztoical wrote:
    ive killed my liver!

I'll just grab some fava beans :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

www.digitalwebbing.com is your best bet post up there that you are looking for an illustrator for a project and you'll get one no problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement