Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems starting New Nitro RTR3 Evo .15

Options
  • 21-02-2007 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi Folks,
    Just wondering if anyone has had any problems when first starting their Nitro Cars? I got the car as a present and am completely new to this scene. I think Tallus on this site mentioned he has a similar car. .15 engine

I have tried all the steps called out in the manual but cant seem to find the right setting to get the car to kick start. When draining the fuel when flooded it comes out of the exhaust and not from the glow plug hole when removed, is this normal?

Can anyone shed some light on what needs to be done, whats i'm missing?

Thanks guys
    Gings

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I have the exact same car.
    If there's a lot of fuel coming out of the exhaust it could be symtomatic of too much fuel getting into the engine. It's pretty normal to see fuel coming out in my experience. Are you using roto start or a pull starter to start her? I got rid of the roto start on mine as I like to get a feel of the engine when I'm starting it.
    Make sure your Glow starter is working too by taking out the plug and attaching it to the glow start by hand to see if the plug glows, if there's no glow, either the plug is gone or the glow starter is gone. Personally I rate the HPI glow starter very highly mine never dies and seems to hold a very good charge.
    I'd recommend that you reset the needles as per the HPI dvd that comes with the car, and start again. The dvd that comes with the model is very informative too and has video tutorials which I found to be excellent.
    Are you in Dublin ? if so I wouldn't mind giving you a hand starting her up. Or alternatively you could go along to St Annes on the northside or Tymon Park in Tallaght.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Gings

Hey Tallus,
    I'm using a roto start, I checked the plugs by holding the plug in a plires and pressing it to the glow starter, the plug glowed bright red instantly. Also I didnt get a DVD with my car, probably one of the reasons I'm at a loss.

I have the needle valve starting position settings set like this;
    "Turn clockwise until it stops (closed). Turn counterclockwise 3 turns (open)
    It is currently turned to the open setting as above. Do these sound like the correct settings?

Thanks for the offer of giving me a hand start her, I might take you up on it if I dont have any joy in the comming days. Where in Dublin are you?

Gings

I'm in Tallaght.
    If I can find one of my dvd's you can have one they are worth having. If I can't find one you could always go to the HPI site and look at them online, last time I was there you could view them in the media section.

Great stuff, appreciate the help mate. Hopefully I get her going soon.

*Touch Wood* :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭nikimere

Gings wrote:
    Turn counterclockwise 3 turns (open)
    It is currently turned to the open setting as above. Do these sound like the correct settings?
    I dont know that car at all but 3 turns...? That sounds like a lot. Is that what it says in the manual?
    It does sound like your flooding it (getting too much fuel) alright, you could try closing the jet a bit and try starting it but once it fires up make sure you bring it back out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Manual from the HPI website...

http://www.hpieurope.com/manuals/pdf/10006.pdf

Cool link Cmar, page ten has the engine breaking and tuning procedure.

Thanks for the links lads, I found a video link for the 21BB engine and tried to follow the steps, i know the engines are different but thought I'd give it a go.. http://www.hpi-europe.com/show_video.php?lang=en&videoID=67

After adjusting the low end needle i tried to prime my fuel, the fuel didn't make it to the carb. I removed the pressure line and blew into it to see if there was any movement. There seemed to be pressure there but no ovement of fuel

Could overtighting the low end needle cause the loss this pressure? i cant see any leaks in the line, the fuel pump pumps the fuel a certain distance up the fuel line then gets sucked back to the tank.

I really feel like a child trying to take his first steps here, I know it will be worth it after I stop stumbling around.

I might try drop into greenhobby tomorrow and see if they can help out, Tallus do you work there, are you there tomorrow? I cant get the time in the evenings to call to you to take you up on the help offer so might call to GreenH It's me birthday tomorrow and I really want to get this beast running.

Any advice on my current predicament greatly appreciated.

Maybe the low end needle needs adjustment, I mean if there was too much fuel getting into the carb you'd see it building up so try unscrewing it a bit. Go back to the base settings as described on Page 10 of the link Cmar supplied. Or consult the manual that comes with the car, if you have one that is. I'll be around late afternoon tomorrow.
    I dont work In Green Model no, but the guys in there will certainly help you if they get the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

if fuel is commin out yer exhaust then its getting into the cylinder when your turning it over.
    From my experience, I have always started a new engine or one thats been on the shelf a while with 3 turns.
    Anytime I have had difficulty starting an IC engine it has been down to the glow plug. And I also reckon every time I got a new engine the glow plug that came with it was dodgy.
    If I have difficulty, I always stick a brand new OS no.8 glow plug in it, and it starts after a couple of seconds. Yeah it might be a bit rough, but it goes.
    Im in Naas if its any use to you.

Think I may have overtightened the lower needle or something, the manual only states adjust 1/2 turn flush to the body, i tightened it 3 times clockwise, now it doesn't seem to want to open flush with the body again, almost like I ran the threads. sigh:(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Gings wrote:
    Think I may have overtightened the lower needle or something .... almost like I ran the threads. sigh:(
    It is an easy thing to do, because the "female" threads on the carb are fine thread, and also cut into brass - a soft metal.
    But the "male" threads are made of steel, and are thus harder, so even only a half turn too much when screwing inwards will "pull" the threads.
    Usually when you eventually get the needle out, a few half circles of yellow-silverish metal will fall off .... the remains of the female threads.

Don't worry. A new carb barrell or carb case will put things right.

Sigh:( .... prognosis correct! I dropped into Green today and its the threads that are gone. My own stupidity and brute force are to blame:rolleyes: .

Does anyone have any advice on a good/quick place to source a new carb? I tried halfords and boystoys but they dont have in stock and the wait is up to two weeks.

Cheers guys!

Might get away with just a new needle valve, found one on the website where the car was bought, so I put an order in for it.

Next task is to get the old needle value out, anyone ever tried this?

Man i feel like such a pain in the neck, again I appreciate any help given.

Pliers? I'm trying to figure out what part, or part of the carb you're talking about.

The low end needle is the one on the side of the carb, was talking to graham in green today and he suggested trying a carlson carb to see if it is an airtight fit. Will be intresting to see if it works. I'll keep ye posted.

So the motor still has not been started? :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Hi Tallus & Gings

Update:
    I was working in Green Hobby today and I got a look at Gings's car.
    Not yet run.
    The threads were stripped on the low end needle making it difficult to withdraw, and tuning impossible.

That car has a nice engine BTW. Anyway we don't do HPI specific parts but the HPI carb looked extemely similar to me (to the Carson one) so I suggested that the Carson "throttle-arm type" carb might fit.

Kevin swopped one in and lo and behold Gings's engine started for the first time :-) Kevin ran it for about 1/2 tank of juice and found the HPI engine tunes very well on the Carson carb !

So it's a "temporary measure" that will probably in time be a "permanent fix".

Later on I'm sure I heard Gings giving it his own first start up outside when he dropped in and collected it.

Cheers Gings ... hope u have lots happy hours with your car. :)

Norman (= Coolwings )

Thanks for teh update Coolwings :) They are a cool car :)

• Advertisement

Folks -
    Cheers for all the help and advice,
    I ran-in the car on blocks for 3 tanks of fuel, then took her out for a spin, - its unreal. The speed is something else and I havent had her flat out yet. Think I'm runnig it a little rich at the minute but I'm told that no harm until I get used to tuning it a little. I'll try and cal out to St Annes some Sunday to get a good go at her.

Also, I have to say the service in green hobby is fantastic. Excellent advice and very reasonable prices. :)

Cheers again folks. Much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Glad you got sorted in the end.:cool:

Advertisement