Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Visual C++ Express- Cant do a freakin thing with it

Options
  • 21-02-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭

I downloaded microsoft visual C++ 2005 express.
    I tried to run a basic C++ hello program that should just print hello using cout.
    It wont work it gives me

Build started: Project: Hello2, Configuration: Debug Win32
    Compiling...
    Hello2.cpp
    Linking...
    Embedding manifest...
    Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'cmd.exe'.
    Build log was saved at "file://c:\Documents and Settings\My Name\My Documents\Visual Studio 2005\Projects\Hello2\Hello2\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
    Hello2 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
    ========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I think I read something about needing the new microsoft platform sdk for to run win 32 programs.
    I cant download that cos its far too big and Im stuck with dialup.

Is there anyway I can get this to run C++ programs that arent win32 without having to download that Massive SDK?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,316 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

From what I understand you need .NET framework and there is no way around that but it can't be that big if you downloaded VC++ you can download the framework. I though it was all sorted out by the internet installer :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Hello2 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)

Does it not tell you what the error is? I know in Visual Studio there's an error list window that the error details are output too. Have a look at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭quinnd6

The error is
    Project : error PRJ0003 : Error spawning 'cmd.exe'.

I have the .net framework installed already cos Ive been using visual Basic 2005 express edition before I downloaded visual c++ 2005 express.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Google the error and you'll find the solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭Chada

hey man, as far as visual C++ express goes, its a real pain in the rear to get working. I haven't time to find it now but if you google setting up visual C++ express , i can remember having to modify config files etc. to run windows applications. Sounds ridiculous I know but of what i can remember it wasn't work it. Plus the framework iks a pretty big download (70mb ? ).

Better using Dev-c++ its a much nicer compiler especially as its easier yo set up.

If you are using dev-C++ just watch out your project paths aren't in the actual dev-c++ folder and that your paths dont include any spaces such as C:/project 1/ or C:/project^ As these will cause annoying errors.

• Advertisement
Advertisement