Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problems on first boot

Options
  • 21-02-2007 8:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi everyone. Just stopping by to see if someone can help me out.

I just built a computer for a friend. His motherboard is a LanParty CFX-3200-DR. When I tried booting it up, I get a CMOS checksum invalid error, and it makes this ticking noise. It only does it once the BIOS starts performing POST, and then I get the error, and it just keeps on ticking. I can't tell where it's coming from. I tried unplugging all the drives, and it still does it, so it's not that.

Anyways, it tells me to press F1 to continue or press F10....well, I've tried two different keyboards and neither of them are recognized, so I can't do anything. I'm not even going to be able to flash the BIOS if I can't get past this point.

Also....I bought a decent power supply from Newegg, and it doesn't have the 12 volt connector. It's the one that's right next to the fatty 20-pin power connector for the motherboard. Our power supply had a little 4 pin, which is what I have plugged in right now, and it seems to be working correctly. Is this normal?

If you can answer any of my questions or give any advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭mathias

For the checksum error try resetting the Cmos ( usually done by moving a jumper but check the motherboard manual ), if that doesnt work then try replacing the motherboard battery , this error is common with dead motherboard batteries , although if its a new build a dead battery is unlikely , take out the battery and re-install it just in case it isnt making good contact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 kornface13

ok cool. i'll give that a shot. the motherboard manual says nothing about which jumper it's supposed to be. well, i bet he lost the real manual. i'll see if i can download a pdf version of it. thanks! hopefully the battery isn't dead, cuz I know i wont be able to find one here (military stationed in Germany).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭John mac

Could be dodgy ram.
    I had it on my first build took ages to get to the root off the problem.
    what caught me was the replacement ram was also faulty.
    if you can verify the ram is good it will eliminate one piece for you.

Advertisement