Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying a car, have'nt a clue. Please help

Options
  • 21-02-2007 9:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Folks,
    At 35 I have given up and I have to buy a car. Need it to transport my son about and increase my job prospects.
    In the running....
    1.4L 2003
    Megane
    Focus
    Leon

What do you reckon?
    Cheers
    Mick

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Can I be the first to say it this time?

Can I?

OCTAVIA !

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=529839

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Personally, I'd go for a japenese make, Toyota would be my first choice, Nissan and Honda as well. The Japs are very reliable, and don't need alot of maintainance. It might cost you a bit more, but it's worth it for the peace of mind. A mate of mine has a Toyota Corolla, with 250,000 miles on the clock, and she's still going strong. Thats my tip anyway. Best of luck with whatever you go with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭techie

How about a 2005 Fiat Stilo 1.4 , still with 2 years warranty and lots of extras for a great price?

http://adverts.ie/14074
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 25 kali.mist

peasant wrote:
    Can I be the first to say it this time?

Can I?

OCTAVIA !

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=529839

Feck, Didnt kow I'd get an octavia for less than 10 grand.
    10k is my limit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 kali.mist

modea wrote:
    Personally, I'd go for a japenese make, Toyota would be my first choice, Nissan and Honda as well. The Japs are very reliable, and don't need alot of maintainance. It might cost you a bit more, but it's worth it for the peace of mind. A mate of mine has a Toyota Corolla, with 250,000 miles on the clock, and she's still going strong. Thats my tip anyway. Best of luck with whatever you go with!!

Yeah, I would like a 2004 corolla, but I could'nt afford it

Would you consider my Stilo if I was willing to do a deal with you on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As the OP doesn't know much about cars, may I add that Stilos are pretty poor in lots of areas. The only possible reason for buying one is if it's a ridiculously low price. With the introduction of the new Bravo, these prices should fall even lower.

With respect the newer Stilo from 2003/4 is a rock solid car with no faults whatsoever, and my car is at a great price already considering it still has 2 yrs warranty left and lots of std extras. :confused:

it would appear though, that you're trying to specifically sell your car rather than make an objective reccomendation.

Also, reliability on Stilos isn't anywhere near some other competitors, even the admittedly improved later models.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭eamon234

Feck the Corolla it's the most boring car in the universe - go for the Octavia it's a crackin' car for the money and just as reliable as any jap and a much better drive plus you could fit a hippo in the boot- take a test drive of both from a garage and you'll see

Of course I am trying to sell my car! :p

To be objective, all the cars the op mentions above all have their own problems, no car out there at the moment is fault free.

eamon234 wrote:
    Feck the Corolla it's the most boring car in the universe - go for the Octavia

DO you realise how funny that looks?

also, the Corolla has an extra 20bhp over the Octavia in 1.4

colm_mcm wrote:
    DO you realise how funny that looks?

also, the Corolla has an extra 20bhp over the Octavia in 1.4

It's still as bland as Lidl Weetabix I would recommend the 1.6 Octavia though!

eamon234 wrote:
    It's still as bland as Lidl Weetabix

Hence they are replacing it with the Auris in hatchback, so far!! :)

An Octavia is hardly exciting is it?

Op, there are a few sites that you can visit to get users reviews of the different cars:

www.carsurvey.org

and

www.parkers.co.uk

Good luck with whatever you choose.

techie wrote:
    Hence they are replacing it with the Auris in hatchback, so far!! :)

There's a new saloon model out as well! (I have one)

colm_mcm wrote:
    There's a new saloon model out as well! (I have one)

Yes its still badged as the corolla though?

• Advertisement

colm_mcm wrote:
    An Octavia is hardly exciting is it?

I'll take one over a Corolla (or Mondeo!) any day:D

eamon234 wrote:
    I'll take one over a Corolla (or Mondeo!) any day:D

Not really the point. you criticise the Corolla for being bland, then go on to recommend another boring car because you prefer it. Surely recommending an exciting car because the Corolla is bland would be the way to go, it might make your argument a little more credible.

techie wrote:
    Hence they are replacing it with the Auris in hatchback, so far!!
    techie wrote:
    Yes its still badged as the corolla though?

There's no danger of the Saloon being badged as an Auris

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

eamon234 wrote:
    Feck the Corolla it's the most boring car in the universe - go for the Octavia it's a crackin' car for the money and just as reliable as any jap and a much better drive plus you could fit a hippo in the boot- take a test drive of both from a garage and you'll see

Saying an Octavia is more exciting or a better drive than a Corolla is a questionable statement. The Octavia is a good car and is good value for money but it is far from being more exciting or better to drive than the Corolla. I have driven both.

If you're looking for excitement, a 1.4 small family car is a bad place to start

bazz26 wrote:
    Saying an Octavia is more exciting or a better drive than a Corolla is a questionable statement. The Octavia is a good car and is good value for money but it is far from being more exciting or better to drive than the Corolla. I have driven both.

So have I and I preferred the Octavia that's why I bought it. Also the OP expressed an interest in the Octavia as the Corolla is out of her price range so I'm merely providing a point of view of someone who actually has one and isn't spitting out tech spec from the latest Top Gear mag.
    Also when it comes to interior space the Octavia is far bigger the boot alone is enormous and for anyone with kids this is one of it's biggest advantages

rear seat room is far from enormous in the Octavia. and your reason for dismissing the Toyota was that it was bland. It's a pretty weak argument.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

as i said over in first thread, i'd go for the focus myself. better handling than either of the above and as much of a 'drivers' car as a 1.4 can be, although I'm sure I am totally wrong and in fact the octavia/corolla is depending on who replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

eamon234 wrote:
    So have I and I preferred the Octavia that's why I bought it. Also the OP expressed an interest in the Octavia as the Corolla is out of her price range so I'm merely providing a point of view of someone who actually has one and isn't spitting out tech spec from the latest Top Gear mag.
    Also when it comes to interior space the Octavia is far bigger the boot alone is enormous and for anyone with kids this is one of it's biggest advantages

But you made a sweeping statement and disgarded the Corolla straight away calling it bland and comparing it to "Lidl wheetabix" because you didn't like the looks of the car, not because the OP couldn't afford a 2004 model. Looks are totally subjective and what I find interesting to look at may well be different from you and anyone else, still doesn't mean a car should be avoided though on that basis alone.

Also I recommended a number of different cars in my original post including the Octavia, Corolla, Focus, etc. I may not like any particular one for a number of different reasons but they are my personal reasons which the OP may not share. Doesn't mean the cars are any less worthy of a recommendation to someone else.

Anyway this is gone off topic big time and not worth anymore debate, my apologies to the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

colm_mcm wrote:
    If you're looking for excitement, a 1.4 small family car is a bad place to start
    Spot on colm - the segment of the market generally reserved for the A to B drivers. :)

Advertisement