Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Super-hero rugby, anyone?

Options
  • 21-02-2007 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

Hey folks. This is going to be one of the more ridiculous threads you guys are likely to see around here, but this thought came into my head (probably due to all the six nations talk), and now it won't leave. What superheroes (or villains!) would be in your starting fifteen, and in what positions?

Now, having a super-powered team is going to have to result in a few adjustments to the rules! These are my ideas, but as I'm sort of making these up as I go along, they are somewhat flexible.
    1. No zapping your opponents. No optic blasts, heat vision, omega effects, etc. This will get you an immediate sin-binning or worse.
    2. No teleportation, phasing, etc. I'm looking at you here Kitty Pride or J'onn J'onzz!
    3. No mind control, or projecting terror into your opponents, etc.
    4. No flying. Jumping is allowed, within reason.
    5. Standard rugby kits only, and no foreign objects. So, no power rings, battle suits, war hammers, vambraces, helmets, etc.
    6. Guys who have such powers MAY burst into flames, go invisible, etc, BUT this cannot affect the ball. The ball must be intact and visible.
    7. The likes of Plastic Man and Mr Fantastic CAN stretch their arms while holding the ball, but they cannot play the ball if their torso is tackled.

Those are all the rule ideas I have had thus far, but I don't doubt that loads more will be added. Beyond that, regular rules apply, which would mean that you CANNOT carve up your opponents with adamantium claws or the like!

So, who would be on your team? I only have a few ideas for my team thus far, namely:
    Props: Superman and Captain Marvel. That strength would be very useful in the scrum, and they would also make for good lifters.
    Second row: The Juggernaught and the Hulk. Even without his armour, Juggy's size and strength would be useful. He would be very hard to tackle too. I have a feeling that the Hulk would end up in the sin-bin pretty soon though!
    Out-half: Bullseye. Does his never-missing thing apply to kicks? Plus, those accurate passes would be very useful.
    Centres: Deathstroke and Daredevil. Their heightened senses would be an asset indeed. Also, Deathstroke would totally be able to psyche out the other teams strategy.
    Wingers: The Flash and Quicksilver. I bet Quicksilver would constantly be getting offside and stuff though.

Those are all the ideas I have had thus far. Who would you guys have on your teams? And remember lads, this is for fun, so let us please keep that in mind!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

What you really need is the Punisher to wipe out the crap sport of Rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Ummmm... comic geeks and sports never really mix that often. What is this 'rugby' of which you speak anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

you can't use american superheros Americans don't know what rugby is and the ones that do are scared by it ["o my god they aren't wearing pads or helmets!"].

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I reckon the no foreign objects thing is a bit daft as well. It discards the likes of Iron Man, Thor, Steel, the Green Lanterns and probably loads more I can't think of off-hand.

That being said, I like the notion of a rugby team with Galactus as a player. Can't see him being the easiest person to tackle.

For some reason this reminds me vaguely of this Dresden Codak strip. Could be a handy trick to pull in the middle of an awkward tackle :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

ztoical wrote:
    you can't use american superheros Americans don't know what rugby is and the ones that do are scared by it ["o my god they aren't wearing pads or helmets!"].

Oh god, seeing Yanks (even superhero Yanks) trying to play Rugby without being wrapped up in half a ton of cotton wool would just be embarassing :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Awww, I was gonna pick Juggernaut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

Judge Dredd as the ref would be interesting. Both teams would be interned in the 'cubes' for assault and the crowd would be done for loitering after the game was over, lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Ger_Hankey

Well, after much deliberation with EOS, I reckon I'd go for this team:

1. The Hulk (Prop) - Cause hes big and strong(duh)
    2. Wolverine (Hooker) - Short & tough and I reckon he'd be a nasty little bastard in the scrum!
    3. The Thing (Prop) - See 1
    4. Superman (Second Row) - Strong and Very handy in the Line-outs
    5. Mr. Fantastic (Second Row) - Also handy in the line outs & can stretch around people to tackle.
    6. Juggernaut - (Flanker) - just to add some weight to the scrum
    7. Collossus - (Flanker) - see 6
    8. Lobo - no real reason, except he looks a bit like the French No.8, don't you think?
    9. Spiderman - just for his striking physical resemblance to Peter Stringer...
    10. Magneto (Fly Half). Bear with me on this one. I've checked the rules before I picked him just to make sure and I reckon its ok cause if his kicks were a bit off he could just bend the posts to make sure he scored!!
    11. The Flash - pretty nifty up the wing.
    12. Batman - Im losing momentum here a bit, aren't I?
    13. Captain America - cause its BODs position, I thought Id put somebody in there with "Captain" in the name...
    14. Quicksilver - see 11
    15. Galactus - Full back. Lets face it, nobodys going to get past him to score a try are they? And he wouldn't have too many problems kicking the ball upfield into touch, would he?..

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Actually I prefer soccer. :D
    Fysh wrote:
    That being said, I like the notion of a rugby team with Galactus as a player. Can't see him being the easiest person to tackle.

Advertisement