Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help us choose a dog

Options
  • 21-02-2007 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

My wife and I are planning to get a dog companion, and I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions about a suitable breed.

We're a 35 to 40-ish childless couple living in a 3-bedroom house in the suburbs, with a small (10m x 10m), fully-enclosed rear garden. My wife is at home most of the time; I am at work during the day and sometimes away for several days at a time.

- We would like to have a dog that is active enough and has enough stamina for long walks, etc. We will walk it every day. But
    - We don't want one that's over-active or frenetic, jumping about the house, chewing furniture or barking non-stop.
    - It has to be a good-natured, non-aggressive breed. We certainly don't want one that will attack cats or neighbour's children.
    - The size range we're thinking of is what I would call "mid-size"; i.e. 50 to 60 cm high at the shoulder (beagle size).
    - It should serve some minor protection function (bark convincingly at intruders) for when my wife is at home alone.
    - Very long hair is undesirable, as I don't want to spend a lot of time grooming,
    - In terms of looks, our preference is that we don't really want a very short-faced breed or a breed with very short or bristly hair. I apologise for any offence to those with well-loved dogs answering those descriptions; it's just a personal preference.

Money isn't really an issue. We've discussed the possibility of rehoming a shelter dog and reluctantly decided not to go that route. We are willing to buy from a breeder anywhere in Britain or (preferably) Ireland.

So, any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Are you absolutely sure that you don't want to rehome?

Besides the "feelgood factor" rehoming a dog has several advantages:

- what you see is what you get ...and you can actually take a long hard look at what you're getting and most shelters will advise you as well, as they know their dogs

- most of the behavioral criteria that you mentioned are a matter of character and training rather than breed. You might think you found the breed that is ideal for you ...and then you get landed with the "odd one out" puppy that does everything it shouldn't and nothing it should do (according to the breed description)

- plus you are spoiled for choice and can pick what you like (and what likes you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Ireland has the highest per capita rate of stray dog euthanasia in the EU, so definitely try to reconsider about rehoming a dog! Many of the shelters and pounds have websites with pictures of their dogs on them. Many newspapers will advertise strays in the pets section. If you find a dog that fits the description of what you're looking for, then why not? We got a dog from PAWS a few years ago and it's worked out great, she was exactly what we were looking for and she fit in really well.

If you are worried about what a dog from a shelter may have already learned from past experiences, consider rehoming a puppy as there is no shortage of them either! Dogs reach puberty at about 6 months (although this can vary) and are very receptive learners while young, especially from about 3 to 10+ weeks of age. Nonetheless, they can still learn plenty later in life too and many older dogs can fit into a new environment without any problems.

However if you do chose to get a dog from a breeder, be sure to ask to see the papers and see the pups with the bitch, and make sure you're not buying off someone dodgy.

EDIT: Here is a pic of the dog we got from PAWS a few years ago! She is a Llewelyn setter and is gun-shy,- this is prob why she was abandoned....she was really scared when we got her and would run away even if you blew your nose! But she settled in really well and is one of the family these days. The vet reckons that she was about 2 when we got her. Shadow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

Here's the thing. When you buy a puppy from a breeder, you're not really buying a dog. You're buying the promise of the dog it will grow into, based on its parentage and the breeder's reputation. This is about as reliable as shopping at a sperm bank.

Plus, you know, puppies... if I'm getting up every 3 hours, there better be a wailing infant involved. Generally speaking, a puppy can only be expected to "hold it" for as many months as it is old - 2 hours for a 2 month old, 3 hours for a three month old, etc. I really can't hack puppy training, although it does eventually end!

With a shelter dog, you're not just fulfilling your needs, you're fulfilling those of an animal who truly, truly needs you. It is tremendously rewarding. We adopted our 4 year old full breed boxer bitch from our local shelter, and her temperment was clearly assesable at the shelter - we could see that though she was abused and terrified, she was also curious and affectionate, and the way she's come on is sincerely one of the most experiences of my life.

Don't generalise shelter dogs - they are as varied as breeder puppies. In my three visits to make sure I was selecting the right dog for us (moderate size at 40 lbs, not over-energetic but always up for a long romp, and not a barker) I saw all kinds of dogs - lap dogs, zany clowns, regal kings, and this cowering little boxer who just called out to me.

And if a puppy is what you truly want, God knows there are enough of them in shelters, since dog owners are horribly remiss about spaying and neutering. Unless you plan to breed a pedigree dog (which I urge you not to do - back yard breeding is a fool's folly) there isn't a good reason I can think of to not at least go and visit a shelter with an open mind and an open heart.

In terms of breeds, greyhounds are lovely and a lab or retriever could suit your needs (obviously, you'd avoid the long-haired Goldens). Both are very prevelent in shelters because they are very popular. The standard poodle (not the yappy little toy varieties) are very under-represented in Ireland but also sound as if they would suit. They have the tight curly coat and don't shed much at all. Skip the foofoo hair cut and just sheer it like a lamb (which you can do at home) and you have a patient, protective, fun and happy house dog. You'd have to get one from a British breeder as far as I know. They are extremely intelligent though, and can be difficult to train for first-time dog owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Seriusly you should try a good rescue that will match a dog to your needs and vice a versa. Too many back yard breeders out there and just because they are pure bred does not gurantee they will be any better in temprament than a mix breed or rescued pure bred.

Log on to irishanimals.ie there is a list of rescues a good rescue knows each dog and knows what kind of home the dog needs plus if it didn't work out for whatever reason a good rescue will take the dog back and mabey try you with another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Niall06

My wife & I were in the same situation as yourself last year and we got a dog from PAWS.
    One of the best things we have ever done.
    She is a great little dog.
    Please reconsider getting a dog from a Shelter.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

i have gotten both of my dogs from ASH. we chose the dog we have now, we chose her because she was sweet and quiet (we figure she was slightly depressed) and she is brilliant, we love he to bits and is so sweet and lovable. i would say that a shelter is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Me too - my 3 dogs are all rescues
    the 2 females are super dogs
    One is at intermediate level in agility and the other is about to be assessed for her PEATA dog suitability so we can visit elderly people / sick kids etc

It's the way to go

A dog is a dog is a dog and pedigrees are not always what you expect
    My mum has had 2 westies and they couldn't be more different - same with my colleague here - had one Cavalier that was a gent and her new one is a ruthless hooligan.

Honestly in excess of 20,000 dogs die for want of homes every year so if you are not 100% set on a certain breed for a particular reason then do seek out some sanctuaries like

www.dogsaid.ie

Unlike some greedy breeders dogs all of ours are fully vaccinated , microchipped , healthchecked and neutered if a suitable age.
    All adult and young dogs are temperament assessed too so you know what you are getting.

Good Luck !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Glowing

I wholeheartedly agree. If you're looking for a 'companion', why should it matter whether she/he is a pedigree?

We have two rescue greyhounds, and they're wonderful pets. To think that they'd be disposed of otherwise is very upsetting. A pet is a pet, and if you can take him from a shelter, then you're doing a great thing.

http://www.paws.ie/paws_homesneeded.php

Edit: Rereading your post, its sounds like you're listing the criteria for a 3 piece suite or a pair of curtains. What happens if your dog gets bored and starts jumping over walls or chewing the furniture? Or he lets an intruder in? Will you be willing to work with him, or just send him back for a refund? Would you consider yourself an animal lover?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

Thanks all for your suggestions and advice. I can see the preponderance of opinion in favour of rehoming a dog, and I can see that this largely precludes specific advice about which breeds to consider or avoid. I also take the point that the expected behaviours of a given breed will not necessarily apply to a particular animal. But I think it's still fair to acknowledge that certain kinds of dogs are more likely than others to attack smaller animals or to tear up the carpet, and to take this into account when choosing a companion. A pedigree is of no interest to us, and we have no intention of breeding.

Glowing, I am merely trying to work out what kind of dog would best suit our home and our lives. It's only fair to the dog as well as ourselves not to take home a St.Bernard or a Siberian Husky. To answer your question, yes, I am an animal lover, and am very proud of my record as a caring and humane pet owner, and on the enormous amount of effort and money we have spent over the years to make sure that our pets are happy, healthy and comfortable through their lives. I believe that when you take on responsibility for another living thing, you bear that responsibility for the whole of its natural life. I would no more send it "back for a refund" than I would a child. I believe that kind of question would be better directed at someone who buys a pet impulsively, rather than one who spends months considering and seeking advice before coming to a decision.

I got a dog from ASH. I was able to call around to them as many times as I wanted to take the dog for a walk to assess him. This was important to me as I was able to really know what I was getting beforehand. With a breeder you just cant do this. If you want to know about certain breeds and their temperaments why not buy one of those books on dog breeds. I have one and it was a help. Mind you saying a certain breed has a certain temperament is really a general thing. And whether a dog will or will not chew the furniture or bark or whine while your away is all a matter of training.
    The benefits of a rescue dog are plain to be seen literally!

• Advertisement

I wouldn't give advice on what breeds to avoid because as soon as you make a generalisation such as "ixnay on the pitbulls" you will, of course, get 900 pit bull lovers piling on and telling you about how loveable little Satan is.

I do prefer a pure bred dog, for the simple reason it helps you to anticipate breed-specific health problems - alsatians and hip displaysia, boxers and cardiomyopathy, etc. But certainly you can get a pure bred dog from a shelter or a rescue if that is your preference.

Personally I prefer to stay away from akitas, char peis, rotties, pit bulls, staffies, alsatians and dobermans. I have agressive experience with at least three of these breeds. I also have wonderful experiences with all of these breeds but I'm just not confident given all the dodgy breeding that goes on.

Retrievers, terriers, labs and greyhounds are all excellent family pets and non-agressive but are apt to have high prey drive. They will chase anything from a ball to a car. I would also avoid any herding breed because they are apt to *appear* agressive with other dogs who, not being them, must be sheep! So no border collies, etc.

Perhaps some type of spaniel would suit best? Not a fan of cavs but cockers and springer spaniels are lovely dogs!

hibby wrote:
    But I think it's still fair to acknowledge that certain kinds of dogs are more likely than others to attack smaller animals or to tear up the carpet, and to take this into account when choosing a companion.

The taring up of carpet / re-arranging house contents is not a character trait as such, but mostly a boredom/lack of training issue. I.e. any dog *could* do that and it's under your responsibility not to let that happen ... so no help in narrowing it down, really.

Attacking/chasing small animals happens when the hunting instinct is triggered. This instinct is still there with all dogs, but I would stay away from Huskies/Malamutes and all hound / lurcher type of dogs (unless they have been found to be "catsafe/smallie safe" by a shelter) ...but at the end of the day, supervision (and a lead) is the key.

In your situation, with the small garden and as a companion for your wife, you'd want a quiter, more "person dog" rather than an exuberant, thickheaded rebell or a narrowminded workaholic "working dog"

I would suggest to go along the terrier / terrier-mix (for added size:D ) route. Once again, picking one from a shelter would be a good idea, as you could filter out the real hyper ones and pick a slightly more relaxed one.

for example:
    32_DARLING2.JPG

from here: http://www.irishanimals.com/wicklow_homes.html (around the middle of the page)

As a PS: We have three dogs at home. One we got at 18 months from a shelter, one we got as a pup from a breeder and the last one at about 4 months from a rescue.

Now we love them all dearly and they're all fabolous dogs, but the one that constantly has "issues" (thankfully no expensive health ones (yet)), the one that is a bit "slow" and also a bit unpredictable and confused, is the one we paid for in hard cash and bought from a "reputable" breeder in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Perhaps some type of spaniel would suit best? Not a fan of cavs but cockers and springer spaniels are lovely dogs!

Cav's and King Charles' are lap dogs and not the type of dog that would appreciate frequent long walks. Ime, they can also be a bit highly strung though I know that isn't the case with all of them. And I'm just not a big fan of lapdogs, so I'm going to be a bit biased anyway.:o

Cockers and Springers are very similar and have only been classed as two seperate breeds since the 1800's. The are extremely intelligent and energetic dogs, and need a firm trainer and plenty of stimulation.

I have two young springers, one since he was 10 weeks and the other we rehomed at six months when one of our original two died. In my experience and that of other springer owners I know if they have a decent walk every day, where they can run off lead and burn up a lot of energy they will be quiet placid at home.

Toby, who we rehomed, was given up as his old owners couldn't control him. He constantly full of pent up energy in their house and would rarely stay put very long. Even at night he would be running around the house. But it was little wonder as they never, ever walked him off lead. The first time we felt confident to let him off the lead he tried to follow Dougal as he ran around and he just couldn't. But now he loves his sprints and runs around like a mad thing on his walk and is happy to nap or chew his hide bones at home.

I'm not sure I'd recommend them as a first dog though. I grew up with well trained border collies (who I would definitely not recommend as a first dog, they are amazing, friendly, intelligent dogs, but are very easy to screw up if you get their training wrong) so I knew what to expect and how to handle springers. If you or your wife didn't grow up with similar dogs they are a lot to handle.

Springers negative points are that they love chasing, (as do all dogs to different extents) especially birds and most especially water birds. Not too bad at this point in the year as they will not be able to catch adult birds who can fly away when the dog gets too close, but devestating in the spring if your wife is fond of ducklings. They need lots of training, as intelligent dogs need tasks to keep their mind active. They can however be trained to an amazing extent, mine respond to different whistle sounds, one each for their names, one that says stop what your doing but continue playing and one that says get here right now. But I've seen some that follow up to ten different whistle signals and countless hand sigals. They do need more grooming than many dogs, especially once nuetered. And their ears need regular attention to avoid irritation and infection. (Fortnightly cleaning, with cotton bids and cleaner and a monthly trim of their inner-ear hair).

They LOVE mud. Absolutely adore it. Dougal enjoyed the squelchy feeling of mud between his toes whenever he stood in a muddy puddle, that he soon figures out how much more he could squelch if he lay his whole body down, which he now does every single time we find a puddle - the muddier the better. (Luckily he also loves swimming, so most walks now end in a game of river fetch). And they also have a tendancy to make like sled dogs when they are on the lead. Partly due to the fact that they are eager to get to where you will take them off lead. And partly because they have a very powerful sense of smell and unless you teach them otherwise they will pay a lot more attention to whatever they are tracking than they will to you.

I love mine, and they were definitely the right dog for me, though I often look around my muddy, messy house and wish I had opted for goldfish.:rolleyes: But tbh, I don't think they would be the best choice for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Was reading Iguana's post there about Cocker and Springer Spaniels and spaniels are great dogs! We used to have a springer and he was a great watchdog and was very loyal. Although they love a good chase, they're the sort of dog that will come back to you provided you train them properly. They tend to get very fat however!

There are some male Cocker Spaniel Labrador X (the parents were both purebreds) pups looking for homes on www.irishanimals.ie (you'll find them at http://www.irishanimals.com/kerry_homes.html and you can search the site by region) and they have some really lovely dogs there! Plenty of pups too.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

We went down to ASH today (which took much longer to get there from south Dublin than I thought!) to meet their dogs and get an idea what would be involved in rehoming one of them. We were shown around and introduced to some dogs, and took a handsome and exuberant young dog for a walk. He was glad to get out of the cage for 15 minutes, which was great, but sadly he wasn't for us - he's too strong and too wild.

We were quite unprepared for the intensity of the experience of visiting a dog shelter. At our approach, most of the dogs went into a frenzy of barking, hurling themselves at the fences and gates of the cages, each desperate for attention. Standing there amid the cacophony, we were daunted by the sheer number of dogs, the noise and smell. Many of the dogs were lovely, but so hyperactive - could they really calm down sufficiently to walk calmly on a lead, or to come into our house? To be honest, we were quite put off. The dogs were sad to see us leave - they whined pitifully as we walked away.

I got a dog from ash and he went mental when i took him for a walk
    He was jumping up and down in the cage when I saw him dying to get out.

Look at him only a few weeks after being taken from Ash:

DSCF0854.jpg

He is totally lazy - but being cramped in those cages doesnt help, those dogs are not walked much and dont get much attention either as ASH just doesnt have the time and staff

hibby wrote:

We were quite unprepared for the intensity of the experience of visiting a dog shelter. At our approach, most of the dogs went into a frenzy of barking, hurling themselves at the fences and gates of the cages, each desperate for attention. Standing there amid the cacophony, we were daunted by the sheer number of dogs, the noise and smell. Many of the dogs were lovely, but so hyperactive - could they really calm down sufficiently to walk calmly on a lead, or to come into our house?

Like blindjustice said ...It'll all change, once they settle down.

Directly at the shelter is not a good place to assess a dog ...it's usually mayhem there.

When we got our first dog from a shelter, he was acting the total bollo* in his run. We took him for a walk and he pulled and barked excessively. We had to walk for about 20 mins to be totally out of earshot of the shelter. Only then did we engage with him and he turned out to be a right softy and quite a charmer, rather well mannered and quite fond of a cuddle.

Needless to say, we took him home that day :D

As we walked back again, as soon as he could hear the other dogs, he turned from Dr. Jekyll into Mr. Hyde again ...but you couldn't really blame him. Your regular shelter is contained mayhem at best ...it's simply impossible to create peace and quiet among dozens of dogs with only a handfull of staff ...especially if there are visitors around.
    We were shown around and introduced to some dogs, and took a handsome and exuberant young dog for a walk. He was glad to get out of the cage for 15 minutes, which was great, but sadly he wasn't for us - he's too strong and too wild.

Maybe try a bit longer (if you can) next time ?
    After being locked in a cage for a long period, any dog will just be bursting with energy and will be hard to control ...especially by strangers it doesn't know from Adam. Hang on for a while until the biggest excitement has dissipated and only then engage with the dog.
    It gets a bit more difficult as you can't just let the dog off the lead to let off steam ...next time just be prepared to play "man being pulled by dog" for fifteen to twenty minutes before you try to get through to the dog. And try to get as far away from the shelter as you can (and they let you)

Hibby, thank you for going to ASH and at least considering rehoming a dog.

When I went to our local shelter, I had the same experience. The dogs were BONKERS and the barking and throwing themselves at the windows... it was very, very overwhelming. I asked to see the only dog who wasn't bonkers - she was, in fact, huddled by a wall shaking like a leaf and totally terrified.

When she came in, she basically cowered her way inside. She was filthy. She smelled terrible. She wouldn't make eye contact. Over the next two visits, I didn't really particularly "take" to her but what was clear was that this dog was really, really suffering in this environment and needed someone to give her a home with a lot of time, which is what I had to give.

I was extremely concerned that a) she would spend the rest of her life cowering under our kitchen table, and b) we would not bond, but I could not have been more wrong. She is still what I would call a shy dog, but her personality has really come out given some security and attention. She loves walks, she plays in the park with my husband, sleeps on the couch with me, and is a wonderful, wonderful friend. She is the light of my life, and she could not possibly be more devoted to me.

Oh and also she learned to walk on a lead within 2 days. She's a love.

DSCF0582.JPG

The environment is bad. Its just bad. its not fair on the dogs, but its not fair on the people looking to adopt, either. But if it doesn't work out, they will always take the dog back, and with a bath, some quiet and some proper exercise, I bet you'll really see a change the way peasant and blindjustice say. Remember, a tired dog is a good dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nconway

hibby wrote:
    My wife and I are planning to get a dog companion, and I would really appreciate any advice or suggestions about a suitable breed.

We're a 35 to 40-ish childless couple living in a 3-bedroom house in the suburbs, with a small (10m x 10m), fully-enclosed rear garden. My wife is at home most of the time; I am at work during the day and sometimes away for several days at a time.

- We would like to have a dog that is active enough and has enough stamina for long walks, etc. We will walk it every day. But
    - We don't want one that's over-active or frenetic, jumping about the house, chewing furniture or barking non-stop.
    - It has to be a good-natured, non-aggressive breed. We certainly don't want one that will attack cats or neighbour's children.
    - The size range we're thinking of is what I would call "mid-size"; i.e. 50 to 60 cm high at the shoulder (beagle size).
    - It should serve some minor protection function (bark convincingly at intruders) for when my wife is at home alone.
    - Very long hair is undesirable, as I don't want to spend a lot of time grooming,
    - In terms of looks, our preference is that we don't really want a very short-faced breed or a breed with very short or bristly hair. I apologise for any offence to those with well-loved dogs answering those descriptions; it's just a personal preference.

Money isn't really an issue. We've discussed the possibility of rehoming a shelter dog and reluctantly decided not to go that route. We are willing to buy from a breeder anywhere in Britain or (preferably) Ireland.

So, any suggestions?

If you really want a dog you have to realise that you cannot predict the future............all puppies chew, pee, bark etc. Its the training and time you put in that makes the dog what you want it to be, it will not come to you pre programmed. you must put the work in. Any breed can be a terrific companion, but you must put the work in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 nconway

Any dog would make a terrific companion, i take it you have not had a dog before??
    Every puppy goes through a chewing, pee, poo, bark, scrape phase. you will not get a dog that ticks all the boxes for you. If you choose a dog you must be prepared to put in the time and effort to train it, it will not come pre programmed to sit, stay, pee outside, dont chew the furniture. No dog is perfect, if you cannot put the time in.....then you are not ready...sorry.....truth. Also as a dog groomer and vet nurse....all breeds require grooming. Some more than others.

• Advertisement

Actually...

There's a full-bred Saluki needing rescue in Dublin:

http://www.irishanimals.ie/dublin_homes.html

(About 1/4 of the way down, named Kama).

Henry is a full bred Old English Sheepdog:

http://www.irishanimals.ie/galway_homes.html

And casper, also on that page, sounds lovely. Rehoming a dog often means they are in foster care and not subjected to kennels, so you can talk to their foster carers and get a much better idea of the dog's true nature!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭deaddonkey

I do prefer a pure bred dog, for the simple reason it helps you to anticipate breed-specific health problems - alsatians and hip displaysia, boxers and cardiomyopathy, etc. But certainly you can get a pure bred dog from a shelter or a rescue if that is your preference.

Or!

you could get a mongrel that is less likely to have any breed specific health problems at all, because the dominant healthy gene tends to win! Imagine that! Pure Science!

That's a stupid arguement.

and while we're at it, anyone who says that the dog's breed will determine its character is full of it. You get a puppy, and its character will depend on how it's raised. Get a grown dog, and you can try before you buy.

rescue dogs all the way, it's a pity that kennels are no fit place to see them behave normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TOUCHSTONEBGLS

I admire your decision to give considerable thought to your selection of a companion. While a rescue pet can be very rewarding you also inherit any problems the dog has encountered in it's past. I have always preferred getting a young puppy (8wks) and raising it as a family pet. A visit to a local dog show would allow you to see many breeds and talk to breeders about characteristics of the breed. You will find dog enthusiasts who are knowledgable and will be helpfull to support your endeavor into dog ownership. I would avoid commercial breeding establishments that sell dogs for profit. Your local kennel club should be able to refer you to events that will bring you into contact with breeders who have invested years gaining knowledge to breed dogs that are sound in mind and body. By the way... my beagles are wonderful pets. Best of luck! Dan

Dan

While I commend breeders trying to breed dogs for sound mind and body (i.e health), I would be careful of those that claim that their dogs will possess a certain set of character traits once their grown.

Because character and behaviour are still mostly influenced by training and upbringing and not by breed standards and the general character traits of dogs are a very individual thing and can vary widely, not only within the breed but even between individual pups of the same litter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 TOUCHSTONEBGLS

Good post peasant,

Exposure to many breeds at a show event can help a person find a breed they like. Talking to individuals who have had experience with that breed can offer information valuable to the decision making process. Many genetic traits skip a generation or two in canine genetics so even seeing the mother and father of the pups is not a guarantee. A breeder who raises the pups with much attention and nurturing can offer a well socialized and healthy pup. If the breeder is doing it right the pups have been handled/socialized, treated for worms, kept clean, etc. Getting a young pup and continuing with its upbringing with the guidance of a knowledgable breeder is ideal.
    Once a person decides on the breed they want it is beneficial to contact dedicated breeders for breed specific information. If the person can find a similar pet at a shelter and provide it a good home that is a grand way to go. Likely the breeders of that breed will still offer guidance.
    Some characteristics are more common to certain breeds. Hounds tend to want to wander, jack russels are typically energetic, Dalmatians should be checked for hearing,... Dogs are individuals and there are exceptions to every rule. The way a dog is raised and trained is the biggest part of the equasion as far as companionship is concerned. Dan

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

what about a basset hound? sorry havent read all previous posts so someone could already have suggested this! they get along with everyone, cats and kids and most of the time other dogs, they are a small big dog iykwim, not boiterious in house but despite looking lazy do enjoy long walks (downside here is like beagles letting them off lead in a non enclosed area will mean theyll go off folowing nose and wont come back easily!) they arent good guard dogs but have a good bark so thats usually enough to deter robbers (theyll generally just poison dog if they really want to fleece your house so an alarm is better than a dog) and are generally known as very docile companions. ASH rehome bassett hounds, so you could get a rescue dog that is very highly unlikely to be aggressive despite any cruelty in its past - they are known for stubborness and very hard to housetrain so i wouldnt go getting a pup of this breed unless you have a lot of time on your hands. I used a trainer to train me to think dog pm if you want details, my 12 wk old pup is now housetrained, lead trained and has all basic commands to a tee thanks to the lady that came to our house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭cacio

hey jotter, can you pm me the details of the trainer please?

Jotter

The Basset you're recommending, is that the exact same 12 week old puppy you're (also) talking about, or do you have a grown example as well?

If not ...what are you basing your recommendation on?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Jotter

sorry just saw this now, im not basing that on anything other than what i have read about the breed - my pup is a boxer not a basset, i considered getting one from ash so read up on them a while ago but decided to go with boxer as we had one for 10 yrs who died recently. pmd cacio details sorry for delay!

• Advertisement

Jotter wrote:
    sorry just saw this now, im not basing that on anything other than what i have read about the breed

You have to be a bit careful recommending dogs that you have only read about.

Most of the stuff that gets published about specific breeds is just advertising disguised as information ...useless, generic drivel usually.

I bet you that in your material about Bassets there was little mention of the back and hip problems that they suffer because of their long, heavy frame and short legs, no mention of the constant ear problems because they keep dragging them in the dirt and stepping on them and no mention either of the permanent eye infection that they usually have because the heavy, wrinkly skin always pulls at the lower lid, exposing it (and the eye) to drafts and dirt.

Advertisement