Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water Cooling - Opinions needed

Options
  • 21-02-2007 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am about to build a pretty serious system. Here are the specs:

EVGA nForce 680 (Socket 775) PCI-Express DDR2
    Intel Core 2 Quadro Extreme Edition QX6700
    2 x BFG GeForce 8800 GTX OC 768MB Silent WaterCooled GDDR3 HDTV/Dual DVI
    OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC2-9200 1150MHz WaterCooled Dual Channel
    Enermax Galaxy 1000W EGA1000EWL ATX2.2 Modular PSU
    Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS Edition - Retail
    2 x Western Digital Raptor X 150GB WD1500AHFD 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache - OEM
    Zalman FC-ZE1 Fatal1ty Champion Computer Enclosure
    Zalman Reserator2 Fanless Water Cooling System

My question is, do you think that the Cooling system will be able to handle all the components as I will have water cooling on:
    - CPU
    - 2 8800's
    - Chipset
    - RAM

I've not built a water cooled system before so don't know how it works but would be worried that by the time the coolant reaches the components on the end of the line it may not be cool anymore?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Do you mind if i ask why you would want to watercool is it only to keep down the noise? your computer is already fast enough with state of the art equiptment and you can push the cpu another 20% with a good cooler.
    The reason i am asking is because i am building the exact same system i would also like to know what cpu/fsb voltage settings you are using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

I don't think the Reserator2 will have enough cooling for your system...its designed for just a CPU and one GPU...and will struggle a little even on that.

I have built several WC systems but TBH the aircooling gear around now is so efficient that I doubt I will build another one.

To cool a CPU, 2 8800's, chipset and RAM you are going to need a fairly serious watercooling system...you can look at spending at least €350 and probably more. The 8800 blocks will cost the thick end of €160 alone.

Just my 2 cents worth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Robertr

@Tonym - Why not! Don't know the settings as not yet built

@hopeful - These 8800's are built for water cooling as is the RAM so all I need is a good system for pumping around the juice. Possibley 2 Reserator2's?

@#Elites - yeah, I've had basically the same system before are cooled and had no issues with it (Antec 900 case with a Zalman CNPS9700 nvidia version) and it was well able to keep everything cool but I want to do some serious overclocking while keeping everything pretty silent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭hopeful

The Reserators...even two...will be unlikley to cool all those top end components effectively.
    You could do an aircooled system which will end up as cool, cheaper and allow good overclocks.
    I have two systems based around X2 3800's with ATI X1900xts. One is aircoooled, the other with a custom watercooling solution with an enormous triple rad.
    They both run cool but the aircooled one is quieter and overclocks identically.

I'm a watercooling fanatic but I would advise going for air. I still say watercooling is great tho :D If you want it for 'bling' factor then go with water.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭ricka05

Elites--- Dont bother with watercooling.

if its due to the noise of fans that you want it..there are plenty of good silent fans.

if its for overclocking, you can get dedicated RAM coolers, and a good CPU cooler, as well a GPU coolers.. all can be silent aswell.

I cant disagree about CPU cooler, but ram...and gpu....I don't think so.
    As I know the is no alternative air coolers for 8800. Plus in case of overclocking you ll need a decent cooler for NB chipset.

• Advertisement
Advertisement