Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there any good chinese takeaways in the rathmines or the surrounding area?

Options
  • 21-02-2007 11:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭

I've already tried about 4 of them and they've all been terrible. Not a patch on the standard of chinese takewaways you'd get up north. Up north its difficult to find a bad chinese, but sadly the opposite seems to be true in Dublin.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

I like The Zen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭Futureman

The Shirly House, beside Superquinn in Sundrive!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭eoineen

rb_ie wrote:
    I like The Zen.

I'm with you on this one. Zen is good for both eat in and take away. I've been ordering from them for many years. Little MSG and good quality veg too.

Damn, I'd love one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

rb_ie wrote:
    I like The Zen.

Whereaboots is The Zen?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Is on Upper Rathmines Road.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

What the empire like? Heard its decent enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I quite like the one that's to the left of Tesco, on the opposite side to town. It's quite authentic, with delicious dumplings and good prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Arathorn

dudara wrote:
    I quite like the one that's to the left of Tesco, on the opposite side to town. It's quite authentic, with delicious dumplings and good prices.

Is that Ho Ho's next to tescos? got that myself last nite, huge portions and tasted great, will have to try out a few different dishes though!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

Man you gotta love the Zen...Crab and sweetcorn soup followed by prawn with ginger and scallion...mmm...

Arathorn wrote:
    Is that Ho Ho's next to tescos? got that myself last nite, huge portions and tasted great, will have to try out a few different dishes though!!

No, Ho Ho's is on the town side, I mean the one on the other side of Tesco. It's pretty authentic, like the restaurants up on Parnell Street. Having said that, Ho Ho's is quite good for a bog standard Chinese takeaway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Young's is great. Its on rathgar rd (iirc) and its a bit pricey but really nice and they deliver. Used to be a menu online, but i cant seem to find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Agree with Young's - lovely food. I ordered from there a good bit when I lived in the area. Better than most I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Youngs is nyom, You can find their menu on www.takeawayfood.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 78,412 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Dustaz wrote:
    Young's is great. Its on rathgar rd (iirc) and its a bit pricey but really nice and they deliver. Used to be a menu online, but i cant seem to find it.
    Yeah, opposite Garda Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Have to agree with those saying Zen. Its so good for a takeaway. Waaaay better than Ho-Ho's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭louisecm

Know you're not looking for an Indian but if by chance you are Bombay Pantry is the best ever. In Dublin frankly, not just Rathmines.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭philcsl

The China Cottage in Ranelagh is the best one I've had in that area, its just a take away, they didn't used to deliver when I lived in Ranelagh a few years ago but I think they do now. Young's is not bad either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭harolds57

Use to be a regular of young's in rathmines till it closed down , have been on the hunt for a good one since then, duck me is that hard , a lot of rubbish out there and i mean rubbish. So was glad to come across this thread and see that a few people were going with Zen's in rathmines . What a mistake, has to be one of, if not the worst places i have ever had a take away from. Myself and my girlfriend got barbecued spare ribs, won tongs, beef chop suey , prawn chop suey, 2 x fried rice , 1 x chips and 1 x prawn crackers. The smell alone from the barbecued ribs was awful and my girlfriend had a quick taste of the sauce and nearly threw up, truth, so the lid was put on them and straight into the bin, the won tongs were like chewy gum and needless to say they ended up in the bin too, both chop suey's tasted like nothing we have tasted before and thats not a compliment, but we were that hungry we had to eat something so we picked at the chopy suey's and had the rice and chips , by the way the rice and chips were ok. All in all i really dont understand how someone can say Zen's is good when in reality it so so far from the mark. Also all main dish's come in the small trays. So for €42 it was a complete waste and just because a few people recommened a resturant be careful as it might not be all its ment to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

The Empire is quite good, great satay dishes.

Ate from Ho Ho's there a while back, was very good, yer one on the front desk is a bit mad though...

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Ate from Ho Ho's there a while back, was very good, yer one on the front desk is a bit mad though...
    Got Yuk Sung and Chicken Fried Rice there last week. Portions were huge.

• Advertisement

Ho Ho's aren't bad at all. Big portions too.

My favourite is the PFG chinese down the road from Ho Ho's. It's authentic Chinese and so very very tasty. My favourite by a distance, I don't go anywhere else now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Schlemm

|Cookies wrote: »
    its a shame Zen dont deliver though:(

They do! We order from them all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭curiousxxx1

There is a Chinese/Thai restaurant that was put on the latest autumn/winter Take Away Express- New Wang Wang, 133 lower Rathmines Rd.
    Has anyone tried them?

New Wang Wang?
    That name makes me snigger every time I pass by.

/childish moment over

• Registered Users Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Just got their menu in post box, under chefs special they offer 2 dishes "with Rape" talk about a typo!

A

Rape is a plant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

If you don't mind venturing a few streets down, TinTin's on Baggot Street, near Oddbins is lovely IMHO...

Just got their menu in post box, under chefs special they offer 2 dishes "with Rape" talk about a typo!

Rape is a type of cabbage (strong dark green leaves).

The PFG changed their menu recently, reduced down the number of dishes available and made it more 'Irish'. Pity, though it's still very tasty. The lamb skewers are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

the zen is great. Real meat in it

• Advertisement
Advertisement