Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laughable, really...

Options
  • 21-02-2007 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭

Now Im not trying to start a fight with moderators or anything, but im sure ill still get some ridiculously hilarious sarcastic comments in this thread. But all the same..

I got banned from the soccer forum for calling Robin Van Persie a prick in a moment of anger. I have seen numerous instances of boards users calling players name in the soccer forum since, including another one this evening after Javier Saviola missed an easy chance.

Why is no action taken against this poster, yet I have been (and still am) banned from the forum?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Unlucky on the night;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Did you try PMing the mods to find out first?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Did you PM psi,TFTF or any of the rest of the mods about it?

edit: faith in there first :)

If you explain you case to one of the mods they might be able to resolve it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Hard luck, if i was pming any soccer mod it'd be psi she was very helpful to me. Unlike some other mod's on the forum :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Sorry, I thought I could get this sorted out in the feedback section. Ill send a PM. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Archimedes wrote:
    Sorry, I thought I could get this sorted out in the feedback section. Ill send a PM. Thanks.
    No worries. Best to talk to the mod that banned you first via PM. It can save getting mauled on Feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

yep. pm is your best bet.

Reporting the post is the normal course of action but i presume if you are banned you can't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Arghh!!!

Ok, I can't do much to answer this one except to say mods sometimes miss things.

As I pointed out on another thread, I've been away due to a family emergency for the past 12 days or so (I went on a posting spree when I got back a couple of days ago) so I'll hold up my hand and say I haven't monitored soccer as much during those times (as another thread pointed out to me ;)).

That left only two active mods and it is just possible that they missed the posts - I used to try in the beginning when I modded quiet litte science forums, but between soccer and paranormal, not every post gets read the day it is posted, so often we rely on reported posts from users to highlight posts that have broken charter.

I haven't seen any of those in the past two weeks so I don't know which instances you are referring to. If I spot them and they haven't already been addressed, I, or one of the otehr mods will deal with them I'm sure.

Regarding your own banning, it really doesn't matter what happens with other posts. Yes, I agree it is frustrating when someone doesn't get banned for the same thing or a similar thing, but the fact remains that you made an agreement with us when you were granted access and you broke that agreement. So regardless of what happened with the others, you still deserve your ban.

Don't forget to PM me when your ban time is up :)

I wasnt complaining about my ban. I know I deserved it. If I could go back in time, Id do it again. I strongly believe Robin van Persie is a prick.

I was just annoyed that others have been getting away with the same thing. And I hope your family emergency wasnt anything upsetting.

Thanks.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Archimedes wrote:
    I wasnt complaining about my ban. I know I deserved it. If I could go back in time, Id do it again. I strongly believe Robin van Persie is a prick.
    You seem to have a different definition of "a moment of anger" from me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

oscarBravo wrote:
    You seem to have a different definition of "a moment of anger" from me.

certainly for the word "moment" anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Archimedes wrote:

I was just annoyed that others have been getting away with the same thing. And I hope your family emergency wasnt anything upsetting.

Thanks.

while i certainly agree that van persie is a prick, he is a very talented one, and an excellent player.
    i wonder who would win a fight between him and cronaldo?

anyway, as psi rightly pointed out, mods are not infallible, and we certainly miss things all the time. i certainly rely on reported posts from other posters these days, as i dont have the time to go through every post of every thread.
    i wouldnt take it as a personal slight.
    you can always just report someone elses post :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Can you reort posts if you are logged out (banned)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

6th wrote:
    Can you reort posts if you are logged out (banned)?
    No. The report post symbol doesn't show up if you're not logged in.

Cheers for that, I've never been logged out long enough to find out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Archimedes wrote:
    I got banned from the soccer forum for calling Robin Van Persie a prick in a moment of anger. I have seen numerous instances of boards users calling players name in the soccer forum since, including another one this evening after Javier Saviola missed an easy chance.

Automatic ban, especially since RvP is such a great player.
    Why is no action taken against this poster, yet I have been (and still am) banned from the forum?

I don't know, but that's irrelevant. Your ban is justified, whether someone else has been delayed in being banned or not is nothing to do with your post. Report the other post if it bothers you.

He cant report it (via the report post function) til his ban is up.

Thank you 6th.

And ecksor, please read the whole thread before you get off your high horse to grace the rest of us with your 'wisdom'. I clearly said that I was not complaining about being banned, merely the inconsistancy of bannings for the same offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The point isn't report the post now that you have been banned, its report the post instead of resorting to insults, and thus not get banned at all.

Dont make me call you a prick :o

*awaits the 'Dont make me ban you' response.

*also awaits being banned without warning, in a surprise move*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Don't make me a cake!

it might work......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Abracadabra, you're a cake.

Archimedes wrote:
    Thank you 6th.

Christ, as if people didnt hate me enough already :(

no problem Archi ;)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Archimedes wrote:
    And ecksor, please read the whole thread before you get off your high horse to grace the rest of us with your 'wisdom'.

And I, as an admin, am giving you a response. I'm not necessarily going to agree or disagree with other posters here. People chime in with their opinions but it seems to me that you're eventually looking for responses from admins and / or soccer mods (which psi obliged you with).
    I clearly said that I was not complaining about being banned, merely the inconsistancy of bannings for the same offence.

In which case it's still irrelevant to you. If you're not complaining about being banned, then don't even mention it the next time you're complaining about others not being banned. Do you see the point here?

BTW, when you come on here after clearly breaking the rules and actually state that you'd do it again given the chance, then perhaps you shouldn't go testing anyone's patience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

It was not reported. This means the moderator can safely assume that every single user on boards who isn't banned from the forum is 100% happy with that post being there. (Of course if the moderator him- or herself isn't happy with it they can go straight to acting on it rather than reporting).

Still, since everyone is 100% happy, there isn't really a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Honestly, I haven't seen the posts in question - they weren't in the threads that I read this week and I haven't had a chance to go specifically looking for them yet.

When I do start reading through the forum in more detail, I'll keep an eye out and if noone else has dealt with any offensive posts, I shall.

Advertisement