Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

swapping out a power supply..

Options
  • 22-02-2007 12:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭

How difficult is it to swap out a power supply?

I've had this pc for a good few years now and it has served me very well. The one disadvantage is that its loud as hell. Hasnt been an issue until recently - keep the whole house up if i run it late at night.

If this is possible, what can i swap it out with?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Not too difficult, what is the make/model of your PC? Are you sure it is the power supply making the noise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Ruu wrote:
    Not too difficult, what is the make/model of your PC? Are you sure it is the power supply making the noise?

Its an elite motherboard - model - k7s5A. I did upgrade the cpu a couple of years ago...cant remember what it is ...can check when i go home.

Its definitely the power supply. I got a zalman fanmate for the cpu fan - didnt make any difference - in fact it seems to be worse with it on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

It is very easy to do. All you need to do is unplug everything. Remove the old psu. Put the new one in. Connect up all the molex connectors and the connections to the motherboard And its ready.

Something like this will be more then enough:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322198

Plus its nice and cheap( but good ) and has good cable management. And will be able to be used again for your next upgrade.

Anti wrote:
    It is very easy to do. All you need to do is unplug everything. Remove the old psu. Put the new one in. Connect up all the molex connectors and the connections to the motherboard And its ready.

Something like this will be more then enough:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=322198

Plus its nice and cheap( but good ) and has good cable management. And will be able to be used again for your next upgrade.
    So can I assume that power supply will be ok with my system? ECS K7S5A motherboard and a 6 year old case?
    **The spec mentions that it caters for PCI-Express & S-ATA. Can I assume this is in addition to connections for the old PCI/IDE??**

I'd imagine this stuff should be pretty standard but just want to double check before ordering up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Probably the easiest thing you can do. In terms of upgrading.

John

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

If you order a new psu you will need a 20 pin connector not 24 pin the model
    recommended to you will do both but you might need an adaptor with some newer psus.

TonyM. wrote:
    If you order a new psu you will need a 20 pin connector not 24 pin the model
    recommended to you will do both but you might need an adaptor with some newer psus.
    Thats sound then. I will stick with that one so - seems at the cheaper end thank goodness.
    Thanks for the recommendation Anti - and all for ye're comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

If you end up getting a PSU with a 24pin connector it will almost surely have a 24pin->20pin adapter.........just incase it doesnt, i have a spare one knocking around that your welcome to (no use to me).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

In fairness 500w+ IS WAY overkill for that system. I had that EXACT same board 5 years ago and ran it with a 250w PSU, with 3 hard drives and a CD RW with 6 usb devices plugged in (printer, scanner, camera, usb keyboard, Wireless router and webcam) it also had a network card and an AGP card as that mobo doesn't have either onboard graphics or NIC.

BUT, if you are planning on upgrading in the near future it might be an idea to future proof your PSU. Its the one component in my system I always overkill as it gives you plenty of room to expand with changing hardware trends. If however you will be using that system for the next few years and just want to silence it then go with QuietPC.com

For silent components and HTPC parts I can't recommend enough QuietPC.com, i've bought quiet a few components from them and they have always been on time. Their delivery says 7-28 days, but I've always got my stuff bang on 7 days.

This PSU they are selling is more than enough watts for your system and will be more than silent, the only thing better than it would be a passive Yesico PSU which they sell also.

Xilence XP420

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Thats why i reccomended that psu, It is cheap and powerfull, and will last for his next upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,352 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Lump wrote:
    Probably the easiest thing you can do. In terms of upgrading.

John

Right after slotting in a card, screwing on a fan, pluggin in a USB device....

Overheal wrote:
    Right after slotting in a card, screwing on a fan, pluggin in a USB device....
    I think that after this, the only upgrade I won't have done will be motherboard replacement - although, no doubt that will be a tougher assignment when the time comes...

Advertisement