Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

1st time buyer - Private sale

Options
  • 22-02-2007 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭

I'm thinking about buying a car from a private owner. Its a 98 Megane, 88k NCT 08. I don't have the first clue about mechanics, it looks kosher but i'm worried its a banger in waiting. Are there any tell tale signs or should I leave it to the pros to have a look at it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

as a private sale you could agree the price subject to them bringing it to a mechanic, provided he's within the locality. a dealer will insist you bring a mechanic but if he's a genuine seller who wants to move the car on, he might do it. i have done it in the past for potential buyers, i thought it was no biggie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Lorax

If u kno any mechanics or friends of friends who are mechanics its would be worthwhile getting them to inspect it. Theres so many things to look out for like like clutch, gearbox, distributor cap, starter motor, battery, coolant, oil, leads/plugs, steering bearings, rusting, etc. Listen for rattling when turning left and right, rev the car in 3rd gear and look for blue smoke coming out the back, etc. I'd go with a mechanic..

Advertisement